Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds Around Loughgall

Options
  • 18-03-2017 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I play this song a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVEsX4RQjU

The little girl at 2.18 and 2.35 ..was me one time .

I know After Hours is a younger crowd, I know its a place for ridicule.
    I also know its a place where people have heart.

I am a bit older than some of you. I lost someone close to me, then lost someone else close to me because someone belonging to me killed someone belonging to them........

I dont want to identify myself by saying more but believe that there are good people who do stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

So you're saying you were daughter or sister of one of the 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

RIP to the Loughgall martyrs & Dessie Grew & Martin McCaughey of the East Tyrone brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Saoirse1981

Fleawuss wrote: »

No I am not. I am someone else....but you see that little girl....she was me from someone else. People holding stuff again you that you had nothing to do with. On another note....myself and a girl were close friends...so close, I kept her photo on my wall...but then something happened,,,,,,,,,,I cannot tell you how painful it is to have someone blame you for the 'sins of the fathers'. A few years later.... I helped a drunken woman in to a taxi...she told me '*You are so lovely'......She did not recognise me, if she had , she would have spit in my face...

That song means a lot to me... don't care what anyone says here....I will forever have love for the men who died for this Country. They did not do it for money , they did it for the love of this island. The fact that some will never see that is sad. They died for this island.

You sound upset. I don't think AH is the place for advice. There are differing views on the provos but you're not here for that. Good luck.

Well No...not quite.
    My posts are very deep but personal...and I cannot explain further than that,

I never forget these lads. I don't think the rest of us should either,

Thats all

• Advertisement

You sound upset. I don't think AH is the place for advice. There are differing views on the provos but you're not here for that. Good luck.

I get upset yes, and I am saying **** I would never say otherwise, and in drink I say it although I would say it sober too....only sober I would say it with more restraint. Without drink I get very upset but I am a private one so I bottle up and say nothing to no one. Its Paddy's Day. I am not looking for advice, I am not looking for anything. I have watched my song and got all in my feelings. I just posted here because I read here every day and I know the folk here will kick my head in but of all the forums here, they are also the most likely to understand me, and some will give me a pat on the back while even disagreeing with me,

They will tell me to fooook off but make sure I get the bus home safe.

This is why I read
    After Hours,

I know this forum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Really not the place for this, Saoirse198!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

RIP to the Loughgall martyrs & Dessie Grew & Martin McCaughey of the East Tyrone brigade.

There are a lot of words I would use to describe these people, martyrs is certainly not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There are a lot of words I would use to describe these people, martyrs is certainly not one of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr

You dont necessarly have to agree with their cause

Though your username is very appropriate for this tread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is this song about the 1987 Loughgall ambush? If that Wikipedia page has its facts even roughly right, then I wouldn't use the word "martyr" either. But AH really isn't the place to re-has ancient political arguments, I suppose.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I is confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The thread is a Link to a song that glorifies & mourns IRA people who were stopped from completing a terrorist attack in NI in the 1980's.

I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

LordSutch wrote: »
    The thread is a Link to a song that glorifies & mourns IRA people who were stopped from completing a terrorist attack in NI in the 1980's.

I think.

Glad these terrorists were put down like the dogs they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Or to borrow the phrase from Mark Urban's book that covered the period, big boys' games, big boys' rules.

I somehow doubt that if the tables had been turned and the 'RA had a chance to shoot up an SAS patrol they'd not have grasped it with both hands and wouldn't put up with much hand wringing over shoot-to-kill policies etc

The only people I'd feel sorry for from that unholy mess was the poor guy and his brother (and their families) who were happening along and were shot. And yes, the squaddies who pumped their car full of bullets committed an atrocity, but the blame does not rest wholly with them.....if the "martyrs" hadn't run the operation there'd have been no shooting.

As an aside, can't believe it's 30 years since this happened!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Talk about feeding the crocodile, we should have guessed this thread was set up to entice & attract yet another Pro-Provo, Pro-Terrorist argument :-( :-(

I just wish the Bataclan gang had also been stopped before they carried out their atrocity. Well done to the security forces....

I'm finished with this thread before it gets even nastier & is blocked or deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Talk about feeding the crocodile, we should have guessed this thread was set up to entice & attract yet another Pro-Provo, Pro-Terrorist argument :-( :-(

I just wish the Bataclan gang had also been stopped before they carried out their atrocity. Well done to the security forces....

I'm finished with this thread before it gets even nastier & is blocked or deleted.

Tbf....you are it's number 1 contributor so far??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

RIP to all who died in that conflict, be they innocents, RUC, British Army, Garda, Irish Army, paramilitaries / terrorists on all sides. A pity we couldn't all just live like the overwhelming majority of people in NI want to live; in peace and harmony with their neighbours.

Patww79 wrote: »

Aye, this state has a garden to remember men who destroyed 100's of RIC stations in the 1920's who had a much weaker moral justifaction for taking up arms than the men & women of 69. Hypocritical or what, at least be consistent in your selective outrages.

• Advertisement

This thread started as some confused personal issues for the OP. She needs to air those elsewhere. The emergence of the Provo revisionism is just tedious. It would be good if people could look to the future rather than being bogged down in the past. Goodbye.

This thread started as some confused personal issues for the OP. She needs to air those elsewhere. The emergence of the Provo revisionism is just tedious. It would be good if people could look to the future rather than being bogged down in the past. Goodbye.

The emergence of it (not that has been a huge emergence of it) is probably to counter balance the emergence of Free State, Loyalists Death Squads and British militarism revisionism.

Red Kev wrote: »
    RIP to all who died in that conflict, be they innocents, RUC, British Army, Garda, Irish Army, paramilitaries / terrorists on all sides. A pity we couldn't all just live like the overwhelming majority of people in NI want to live; in peace and harmony with their neighbours.

I agree with that, but the thread was specifically about the Loughgall massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Would mind awfully not posting ****e songs?

I'm not political, in fact, I think those who are have a slight mental retardation.

However this bilge-rat of a song has raised my dander somewhat due its all encompassing direness.
    It's the audio equivalent of herpes and herpes, like maudlin auld pish-tunes, should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Whinging about the Brits is such a cliché, even American sitcoms were taking the mickey many years ago. "And now for a sad song ..."

(yeah, it's a crappy video)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Well whatever ones political views are, Loughgall was a huge miscalculation by the British. They thought it would have the effect of diminishing Republican morale instead it had the complete opposite effect and the following 7 years were some of the most bloody of the conflict, 104 people died in 1988 compared to 61 in 1986 and 57 in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

A huge miscalculation..... hmmm maybe they should have let them murder their police targets and god knows how many more over the coming years. Luckily their own friends had given the game up and the sas were able to prevent many, many innocent murders by getting rid of these absolute terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think.

incorrect. these innocent men were simply murdered for being irish.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Live by the sword, die by the sword. Or to borrow the phrase from Mark Urban's book that covered the period, big boys' games, big boys' rules.

I somehow doubt that if the tables had been turned and the 'RA had a chance to shoot up an SAS patrol they'd not have grasped it with both hands and wouldn't put up with much hand wringing over shoot-to-kill policies etc

The only people I'd feel sorry for from that unholy mess was the poor guy and his brother (and their families) who were happening along and were shot. And yes, the squaddies who pumped their car full of bullets committed an atrocity, but the blame does not rest wholly with them.....if the "martyrs" hadn't run the operation there'd have been no shooting.

As an aside, can't believe it's 30 years since this happened!!

the squaddy bigots were fully to blame for those innocent people being murdered for being irish. i can bet that any of them that may be still alive are the typical ukip style bigots who have contempt for the irish as much as other immigrants.
    timthumbni wrote: »
    A huge miscalculation..... hmmm maybe they should have let them murder their police targets and god knows how many more over the coming years. Luckily their own friends had given the game up and the sas were able to prevent many, many innocent murders by getting rid of these absolute terrorists.

not as many as followed after the SAS murdered people for being irish. nothing near it. whatever their aim it ultimately failed, but then again long term failure is the BA in a nutshell.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

incorrect. these innocent men were simply murdered for being irish.

the squaddy bigots were fully to blame for those innocent people being murdered for being irish

SAS murdered people for being irish

They were killed to prevent the attack they were in the process of executing.

If they had been, say IRA activists born in the UK and with UK passports, they would have been killed just as ruthlessly.

I wouldn't say it was great or rejoice, just like I wouldn't if they succeeded...it was kill or be killed. Certainly the shooting of IRA activists, just like Loyalist activists, or members of the British Army, troubled me a lot less than any side killing civilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They were killed to prevent the attack they were in the process of executing.

no no they were killed for being irish, of that i have no doubt. the only evidence of any supposed terrorist attack was from the rucba from all i could ever find on the event over the years.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement