Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day- do you enjoy it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

The concept of St. Patrick's day is, I suppose, somewhat positive.

However the manner in which it's celebrated really makes me despise it. Tacky, cheap parades, the consumption of ludicrous amounts of alcohol and the weather usually means I avoid the whole event entirely.

The day off is quite enjoyable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Academic wrote: »
    Ireland badly needs an independence day of its own, one divorced from the drunken carnivalesque atmosphere of what St Patrick’s Day has become, and unmoored from that holiday’s religious origins. Something like Bastille Day in France or Independence Day in the U.S. It always astonishes me that Ireland doesn’t have such a thing.

I understand that since independence was achieved incrementally there will never be agreement on any one landmark date for a holiday. I don’t care. The spring equinox as a universal symbol of new beginnings would be fine for me, but I wouldn’t care if the day was chosen randomly so long as it was chosen.

If we had an independence day it would literally be paddys day 2.0. Theres be another **** parade with more historical undertones perhaps and everyone would wear green and get pissed

Advertisement