Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Options
  • 16-03-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Top Rank are going to make an absolute superstar out of him. All starts tomorrow.

Stream for the weigh in about to start http://www.toprank.tv/index.jsp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does he have to actually deliver real results or will they make an "absolute superstar" out of him regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Does he have to actually deliver real results or will they make an "absolute superstar" out of him regardless?

If you for some reason don't count being a world champion and Olympic medalist in the amateurs as a real result than maybe I suppose..

There's obviously reasons outside the ring that he's being pushed. He's ridiculously marketable but good on him. He has the talent to back it up and will prove it in the pros just like he did as an amateur.

Morrison J wrote: »
    If you for some reason don't count being a world champion and Olympic medalist in the amateurs as a real result than maybe I suppose..

There's obviously reasons outside the ring that he's being pushed. He's ridiculously marketable but good on him. He has the talent to back it up and will prove it in the pros just like he did as an amateur.

Time will tell. Personally I think your comments are way too presumptuous considering he hasn't had a single fight yet, and nothing to say how good he will fare as a pro. In a sense, you are heaping too much unnecessary optimism/pressure here.

If this was said about Lomachenko before his first fight I'd be saying similar, and IMO Conlan is not near the talent-skill level of Lomachenko. At least with Lomachenko there would be a lot more to back the claim up with.

Btw, I don't lend too much weight to his amateur results here. Plenty of successful amateurs never made successful pros, or world beating pros. MC for me is not someone I'd say "yes, he will go all the way in the pros" based off what I have seen in the amateurs.

I would need to see him develop as a pro. You can bet his first handful of fights will be against really weak opposition. Only when he steps up can I make any real assessment.

Time will tell. Personally I think your comments are way too presumptuous considering he hasn't had a single fight yet, and nothing to say how good he will fare as a pro. In a sense, you are heaping too much unnecessary optimism here.

If this was said about Lomachenko before his first fight I'd be saying similar, and IMO Conlan is not near the talent-skill level of Lomachenko. At least with Lomachenko there would be a lot more to back the claim up with.
    Zzzzz I think he'll make a good pro. Kill me for it. You're talking as if saying a world amateur champion will have a good career is going out on some massive limb..

If you want to take the pessimistic angle so be it. At least you're consistent when it comes to playing down Irish boxers.

Zzzzz I think he'll make a good pro. Kill me for it. You're talking as if saying a world amateur champion will have a good career is going out on some massive limb..

If you want to take the pessimistic angle so be it. At least you're consistent when it comes to playing down Irish boxers.

No need to be so sensitive. I just thought the comments and thread opening were oddly optimistic. No real substance to them. Come back in a year and we can discuss MCs pro journey.

As for playing down Irish boxers in the pro ranks. Best to be real and on the level as opposed to OTT and falling flat on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

is it on sky sports and what time about?

zweton wrote: »
    is it on sky sports and what time about?

BoxNation from 0100 hrs March 18.

No need to be so sensitive. I just thought the comments and thread opening were oddly optimistic. No real substance to them. Come back in a year and we can discuss MCs pro journey.

As for playing down Irish boxers in the pro ranks. Best to be real and on the level as opposed to OTT and falling flat on your face.

Come back to me when we've another boxer headlining MSG in his pro debut and I'll start a thread the day before that too. Probably not gonna happen in our lifetimes though is it?

Only thing that's odd is your pessimism tbf but you've said before that Conlan won't get any of your support in his pro career so I should've expected this really.

I'll enjoy his journey anyway. Most exciting boxer we've had turning over this generation by a long shot.

Describing my opinion of let's wait and see and not to be heaping all this OTT pressure on MC as pessimistic is just silly.

MC has yet to hear the first bell on his pro journey. I stand by my view that your comments are oddly optimistic. Your describing that as just pessimism is flat out wrong.

Btw, I too will enjoy his journey. I was always a vocal fan of MC in the amateurs, despite my not agreeing or condoning his Olympic outburst. That was one incident.

His signing with MGM? I'm far from alone here, but I will still cheer him on. Yes, U turn so to speak, but so what.

Describing my opinion of let's wait and see and not to be heaping all this OTT pressure on MC as pessimistic is just silly.

MC has yet to hear the first bell on his pro journey. I stand by my view that your comments are oddly optimistic. Your describing that as just pessimism is flat out wrong.

Btw, I too will enjoy his journey. I was always a vocal fan of MC in the amateurs, despite my not agreeing or condoning his Olympic outburst. That was one incident.

His signing with MGM? I'm far from alone here, but I will still cheer him on. Yes, U turn so to soeak, but so what.
    You're always pessimistic with Conlan and Irish boxers in general. That's what I was getting at.

And there's nothing incredibly out there in thinking a boxer who is headlining MSG in his pro debut and was a world amateur champion might be built up to be a superstar.

I shall agree to disagree as always with you but glad you've seen some sense with the whole MGM thing.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong,I've never known someone to have so much hype on their pro-debut but I think Conlan is on a different level to any amateur(Irish) turning over. He's a complete boxer and looks to have the right attitude.His confidence is palpable and somewhat rare with Irish sportspeople. If I was any way critical, he can be a bit slappy and he has the family gene of liking a tear up every now and again but starting out at 122, he'll be huge and won't be bullied at that weight. I'm really looking forward to how he develops. What are your areas of concern with regards to Conlan?

No real areas of concern..three big Qs for me. His chin, his physicality-strength and his pop/power...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Boxnation, coverage starts at 1am.

ah feck that too late :D

You're always pessimistic with Conlan and Irish boxers in general. That's what I was getting at.

And there's nothing incredibly out there in thinking a boxer who is headlining MSG in his pro debut and was a world amateur champion might be built up to be a superstar.

I shall agree to disagree as always with you but glad you've seen some sense with the whole MGM thing.

Always pessimistic with Conlan? Where do you pull this sh1t from?

Disagreed with Olympic outburst. End of.

Sense with MGM thing? No...

Fully support BUIs ruling....

That could applicable to any amateur turning over. You've stated that from what you saw in his amateur career, it's not someone you could see go all the way in the pro's. So what did you see in his amateur career that caused you to a pessimistic predication?

Not sure that is accurate. I said I saw nothing that would lead me to be anyway sure he'd go all the way, or most the way. Nothing stands out for me to be sure, or as sure as one could be.

Always pessimistic with Conlan? Where do you pull this sh1t from?

Disagreed with Olympic outburst. End of.

Sense with MGM thing? No...

Fully support BUIs ruling....

Your siding with AIBA over him was particularly baffling. The whole "innocent until proven guilty stance". Refusing to get into that argument again though.

Again that fence-sitting can be applicable to any amateur turning over. There'll always be question marks but some amateurs stand out more than others when it comes to predicating a professional career.

I gave the three Qs..

Chin and Defense kind of wrapped together. Wide delivery of punches leaves you wide open to be countered hard.

Punch power. Unless you are ultra tough and-or good on defence then you need to have something behind your punches. Not sure he has.

Inside strength and strength in general. I'd be more confident here. But still a question that is important.

Your siding with AIBA over him was particularly baffling. The whole "innocent until proven guilty stance". Refusing to get into that argument again though.

You're right. Keep it on thread. That discussion has been done to death. Don't be bringing it up if you don't want to discuss it.

You're right. Keep it on thread. That discussion has been done to death. Don't be bringing it up if you don't want to discuss it.

You asked the question. I just answered.

You asked the question. I just answered.

I asked no question...you said I was always pessimistic with MC. That's BS!

AIBA vs. Conlan is so last year...

So, why do you think Conlan becomes a superstar? What do you see in him as regards boxing that would lead you to think with some confidence that he becomes a world beater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I have doubts over him, but he certainly is as capable as anyone we've ever produced and he's making his debut and beginning of his journey at the right time. A lot of the big names at 122lbs have migrated, so a belt at 122 should be well within his limits. You've Rigo who is slowly falling into retirement, same with Donaire. A lot of mediocre ranked guys. Magdaleno looks handy alright. But he's got a fine platform, just hope he doesn't f*ck it up. Not liking the whole "I'll become Ireland's greatest fighter" stuff out of his mouth already but hoping I'll bite my words in 10 years.

• Advertisement

122 is a weight that he surely will grow out of..can he make that weight for the next 18-24 months for a world belt? Assuming he doesn't get derailed getting there. His amateur weight was 123.5 lbs..it's tough to hold that and even lower now.

Why not? I think it's refreshing to see someone have so much confidence in their own ability.

Kind of agree. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Just words. It's others (media-fans-people in general) making such claims before a punch is even thrown that is a bit off putting..particularly when it's about a boxer who is good, no doubt, but not some Goliath. I guess it's the world today. So much overhyping and overrating stuff before stuff even happens.

I asked no question...you said I was always pessimistic with MC. That's BS!

AIBA vs. Conlan is so last year...

So, why do you think Conlan becomes a superstar? What do you see in him as regards boxing that would lead you to think with some confidence that he becomes a world beater?

"Always pessimistic with Conlan? Where do you pull this sh1t from?:
    That not count as a question?

There are an absolute boat load of reasons Conlan can be a superstar.

In the ring - he's extremely versatile, can see him having that fan friendly action fighter style but he has shown he can fight any style, great feet, great shot selection, has the WSB pedigree.

Outside the ring - Pretty big personality, can talk himself into headlines, Irish fans, Top Rank backing, the guy already has more twitter followers than big names like Crawford, Mikey Garcia, Kovalev, Thurman, Lomachenko etc

Even if he only reaches fringe world level he'll still be a bigger global name than most of the elite guys I'd reckon. Terrance Crawford struggles to sell out the MSG theatre. Conlan has done it on his first fight. He's a marketer's dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

I dont see how anyone can question his ability, which ive no doubt he will be a huge success. Ibarra is a journeyman I expect it over in 3. Micks defensive work, his speed and the work he does inside will be huge, (my only concern is his tendency to throw to much too much and box himself out) no better man then Manny Robles to cure that.

Mick will be a superstar make no bones of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My Boxnation has been on free view all day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

It's just hype so far with Conlan.

I'd be particularly worried about the regularity with which he gets tagged.

But saying that it's probably an area he's been drilled on by Robles.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    It's just hype so far with Conlan.

That's an understatement. But to state it you'll likely get labelled a pessimist or a begrudger.

He seems keen to keep bringing up Carl Frampton and how he'll be 100 percent better than him. Find that both odd and a little disrespectful. The chap has yet to throw a punch in his pro career. Really, is there a need to bring it up at all?

If MC takes to the pros like Carl and performs like him I will be a little surprised. Carl on form is a really good pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Why not? I think it's refreshing to see someone have so much confidence in their own ability.

Not confidence imo, sheer arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time can we expect the main event?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ebbsy wrote: »
    My Boxnation has been on free view all day ?

Ya it's included in the BT Pack now

Advertisement