Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in Aliens?

Options
  • 16-03-2017 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Interested to know how ST fans feel on this one, as it is intrinsic to the show.

Do you think there are Star Trek style aliens out there?

I do not.

Bit of a ramble on my thoughts on it:

I'm in the camp that life is exceptionally rare in the universe, and that within that intelligent life is even more rare. So rare that it effectively doesn't exist, because if it does, it is not possible for us to encounter or interact with it.

It's taken the guts of a quarter of all time available in the universe to produce a handful of intelligent humanoid species on earth and of those only one managed to develop to a point where travel to other planets can even be contemplated.

I'm assuming that everywhere that this happens, developing to the point where interplanetary travel can be achieved and interstellar travel can be contemplated, it goes hand in hand with the development of terrible weapons of mass destruction making destruction of the race in question inevitable, reducing further the chances of interaction.

Given the size of the Universe in terms of space and time, and how rare, and fragile, I believe life is I don't think we are ever going to coincide with another intelligent race.

Do you believe in ST style Aliens? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely, statistics are stacked in favour of their being other life out there, I'm convinced some of it is probably intelligent life.
    I doubt there is much chance of us meeting it though for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Interested to know how ST fans feel on this one, as it is intrinsic to the show.

Do you think there are Star Trek style aliens out there?

I do not.

Bit of a ramble on my thoughts on it:

I'm in the camp that life is exceptionally rare in the universe, and that within that intelligent life is even more rare. So rare that it effectively doesn't exist, because if it does, it is not possible for us to encounter or interact with it.

It's taken the guts of a quarter of all time available in the universe to produce a handful of intelligent humanoid species on earth and of those only one managed to develop to a point where travel to other planets can even be contemplated.

I'm assuming that everywhere that this happens, developing to the point where interplanetary travel can be achieved and interstellar travel can be contemplated, it goes hand in hand with the development of terrible weapons of mass destruction making destruction of the race in question inevitable, reducing further the chances of interaction.

Given the size of the Universe in terms of space and time, and how rare, and fragile, I believe life is I don't think we are ever going to coincide with another intelligent race.

It's not about belief. It's about probability, or should I rather say certainty.

Whether Mankind will ever encounter extraterrestrial life forms is a completely different question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Absolutely , as said it's not about faith but statistics.

Having said that intelligent life - tougher question, but simple life for sure - even in our own Solar System .... Europa is looking good for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I think life here came from out there.
    There's already confirmation of flowing water on Mars albeit seasonal - the possibility of life, even bacterial or microbial is strong. And that's just on the nearest planet to us.

Sea Plankton was found growing on the exterior of the ISS. Terrestrial in origin obviously, but hardy enough to live and thrive in a vacuum.

I don't think it's mad to think that there's life out there, i also don't think it's mad to think that, that life may be vastly older and wiser than us as a species, who's to say that a form of travel does not exist out there somewhere to bridge gaps we currently conceive as impossible?

A hundred years ago, flying to the moon was impossible.

I mean...

There are billions upon billions upon billions upon billions of planets out there.

Surely some of them must have produced life in some form.

• Advertisement

You are asking about three different questions and trying to answer them with unsound logic.

Is there life out there? Yes probably.
    Will we ever interact with it? Probably not in my life time.
    If we cant interact with it, does it still exist? Yes of course. We never interacted with dinosaurs but they still existed.

Then in the poll you ask if there are ST style aliens. What like Andorians and Klingons? Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I mean...

There are billions upon billions upon billions upon billions of planets out there.

Surely some of them must have produced life in some form.

Yeah and lots of space and time between them!

Do you think the 4 billion years from planet forming to spaceflight is an ordinary amount of time?

The window for intelligent life between emerging and developing the means to extinguish itself seems to be in or about a couple of million years.

Given the space involved as well the time in the universe it seems unlikely that we could ever meet ST style.

You are asking about three different questions and trying to answer them with unsound logic.

Is there life out there? Yes probably.
    Will we ever interact with it? Probably not in my life time.
    If we cant interact with it, does it still exist? Yes of course. We never interacted with dinosaurs but they still existed.

Then in the poll you ask if there are ST style aliens. What like Andorians and Klingons? Maybe.

well the poll is just a straw poll for a bit of fun.

The aliens in Star Trek are basically just humans with slight differences. The same enough that they can talk and interact almost indistinguishably to humans.

And there are loads of them. This galaxy is teeming with them.

Do you think that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

100%

The question if whether we ever see it is a different story.

There are stars out there (MARJERAS) that would take 1100 years travelling on our commercial airline to fly around.

Our Galaxy is but a dwarf Galaxy compared to ones such as IC.

Look at how far we progress yearly regarding technology...chances are any civilisation we meet could be 100s of thousands or millions of years old than us. The scary thing is that statistically speaking it never really works out for the race that is met by a superior one. We need only look at our own history to confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If there is alien life out there. It will probably turn out we are the Independence Day style invaders.

• Advertisement

well the poll is just a straw poll for a bit of fun.

The aliens in Star Trek are basically just humans with slight differences. The same enough that they can talk and interact almost indistinguishably to humans.

And there are loads of them. This galaxy is teeming with them.

Do you think that is the case.

I think theres life of all shapes and sizes out there. Even on earth we have 4 different albeit similar races. If only one in every billion star systems out there had intelligent life on them, then theres at least 300 civilisations out there.

Just enough for a Federation.

Getting around is the problem though.

Put another way, under Federation law, us in 2017 would not be considered intelligent life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh mathematically, I believe there are many civilizations out there. Some as advanced, some more. And many many many more with SOME firm of life on them. I know there's that Drake equation about the probability.
    Years ago astrophysicists thought that maybe 1 on a million stars had some form of planets. Now they think it's closer to 1 in 10 I believe. They believe that planets outnumber stars.

Do I believe in UFOs or that we will be able to communicate with them? No. Not unless there is some fundamental misconception we have FTL travel possibility.

I do believe that we will have discovered alien life in my lifetime: Whether it's some form of "Hey there" broadcast like Contact (Without the info dump) or detecting artificial gasses in a extra-solar planet or even just a fossilised microbe on Mars or a meteor etc.

Good read here - The Fermi Paradox

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it's very conceited of humans who think that we're the only intelligent life in the universe.

I wouldn't consider us that intelligent and we're far from an advanced life form either.

Just look at the variety of life forms on this one little backwater plannet. Literally everywhere here on earth is populated with some life form. I expect the universe is similar with a huge variety of life living in a massive range of environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think this galaxy is probably teeming with life, intelligent life is another story. If you look at the human story we're became intelligent through happenstance and pure random luck. There's nothing to really say that intelligence wouldn't have happened one way or another eventually. Even the humanoid form is fairly alien to the rest of just the mammal kingdom. never mind everything else on the planet.

Even just being intelligent isn't enough. It could be that dolphins are almost as intelligent as humans in many ways. but they're never going to build any space ships because they live in water and don't have any hands. It takes a number of coincidences to collide to end up with an intelligent, self aware species.

Although there could be all sorts of intelligence.

I could even see how a creature that was more intelligent than humans could actually hold a species back. Being naturally good at some might mean they never feel the need to create machines and AI.

A species that's not technically as smart as us may build up a knowledge over generations.

As to whether there would be other life forms like us that's probably unlikely. They could be radically different, even their code could be radically different to our DNA, the idea of them having humanoid form is probably bunkum too, it's a great shape for an intelligent species but nobody gets to pick their shape.

The odds of them coming from a planet with the same gravity as ours is also probably low. The fundamentals of their type of life could be so different it's difficult to know just how different their culture could be.

But if they're in space they're probably scientists, probably curious, show an ability to work together cooperatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I voted yes before reading some of the qualifiers. There's almost certainly alien life in the galaxy, some of which is probably intelligent but I don't think anywhere is at a Star Trek level of interaction.

Then again maybe we're these guys and we're going to spread our DNA across the galaxy.

EDIT
    ScumLord wrote: »
    But if they're in space they're probably scientists, probably curious, show an ability to work together cooperatively.

Or their Hitler won and is out to subjugate and purify the rest of the galaxy.

_Brian wrote: »
    I think it's very conceited of humans who think that we're the only intelligent life in the universe.

I wouldn't consider us that intelligent and we're far from an advanced life form either.

Just look at the variety of life forms on this one little backwater plannet. Literally everywhere here on earth is populated with some life form. I expect the universe is similar with a huge variety of life living in a massive range of environments.

By any possible comparison we are more the most intelligent and advanced species ever encountered by some margin.

Evade wrote: »
    Or their Hitler won and is out to subjugate and purify the rest of the galaxy.
    The problem with these sort of social orders is they want to change reality to suit their philosophy. The Nazis for example were rewriting history, they were building a lie that would have hampered science into the future. You need a certain amount of openness and collaboration, no one nation is responsible for modern technological development, no one nation could achieve it.

Of course, anything possible, but it's likely that space fairing is beyond the individual and without being open to science you're going to be running into philosophical roadblocks. Without developing an appreciation for the natural world and living things in general it's possible they would overlook many of natures secrets. On earth we thought wolfs were bad, kill all the wolfs. But then we find out they have a positive effect on ecosystems. I think once an intelligent species see's those kind of things it would be hard to ignore the fact nature is worth observing and exploiting it means it's not there to be studied.

Maybe a species could take survival of the fittest seriously, basically they see nature fighting itself on their own planet and believe that's the natural way. They may want to spread their own planets genetics and kill anything that isn't from their own planet. They wouldn't see it as a bad thing to wipe out other intelligent species and would assume everybody else is doing the same thing.

The problem with these sort of social orders is they want to change reality to suit their philosophy.
    That's a problem with a lot of philosophies.
    The Nazis for example were rewriting history, they were building a lie that would have hampered science into the future.
    I didn't mean actual Nazis with their ideas but more someone or some organisation to unite their world through force instead of a sense of cooperation.
    You need a certain amount of openness and collaboration, no one nation is responsible for modern technological development, no one nation could achieve it.
    To be fair Germany did make some good technological leaps in the middle of the 20th century.

That's a problem with a lot of philosophies.

I didn't mean actual Nazis with their ideas but more someone or some organisation to unite their world through force instead of a sense of cooperation.
    The nazis are a good example of this kind of scenario because it's so recent and used technology so effectively. The thing about the Nazis though was that Germany has lots of smart dedicated people, but the people in charge were flat out nuts. The reason the nazi state failed was because Hitler was completely consumed by his own ego. He couldn't handle the truth, and wouldn't listen to to people with more knowledge than him. So no matter how good the people under him were the whole system was doomed.

To be fair Germany did make some good technological leaps in the middle of the 20th century.
    They did, but they didn't do it in isolation. The allies also made some huge technological leaps, Britain was on a par technologically in many ways, they handed over most of their knowledge to the Americans to get them involved including plans for atomic weapons and radar.

While the Germans made some technological leaps much of that technology wasn't fit for the battle field and they had a lot of breakdowns. Much of it didn't make it to the battlefield and again all their battle field technology was hampered by the likes of hitler who wanted impressive weapons more so than effective weapons.

• Advertisement

Much of it didn't make it to the battlefield and again all their battle field technology was hampered by the likes of hitler who wanted impressive weapons more so than effective weapons.
    A great example of that was Hitler cancelling the project that accidentally created stealth aircraft.

A great example of that was Hitler cancelling the project that accidentally created stealth aircraft.
    Didn't he stop the deployment of the first automatic assault rifle too? And the first jet fighter?

He loved the idea of giant things like tanks though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44

he might have had a hand in delaying it in favour of other projects, but the STG 44 Assault Rifle seen action in WWII

Worth noting that some variants also had an infrared scope (nicknamed Vampire) to see in the dark

Then again maybe we're these guys and we're going to spread our DNA across the galaxy.

Heh!

That was a great episode actually ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44

he might have had a hand in delaying it in favour of other projects, but the STG 44 Assault Rifle seen action in WWII
    It was towards the end though wasn't it? I'm remembering a documentary I saw a while ago and as far as I remember it could have been in use much sooner but for some reason hitler didn't like it.

It was towards the end though wasn't it? I'm remembering a documentary I saw a while ago and as far as I remember it could have been in use much sooner but for some reason hitler didn't like it.

44' easily, it was in field testing by late 43 according to the wiki

I know he had veto'd a few tank designs deliberately, and oddly enough he had car designers, designing tanks. Porsche i think. The guy that built the Maus superheavy tank

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think it's really a question of belief. There is almost certainly life on other worlds, but the chances of any of us ever meeting that life is almost non-existant. I don't think our brains can truly comprehend just how massive space actually is. Even seeing videos comparing out sun to other massive celestial objects doesn't do it justice. And while the conditions needed for intelligent life are very specific, the probability that Earth is only planet in the universe with those conditions is practically zero.

It does kind of bum me out that we'll never see it, or see some of the Star Trek type technology we all grew up wishing for.

Kiith wrote: »
    And while the conditions needed for intelligent life are very specific, the probability that Earth is only planet in the universe with those conditions is practically zero.
    I think for the most part we can forget about other galaxies, getting to another galaxy is beyond even our imagination at this stage.

Traveling between our nearest stars is within the realms of possibility. The theoretical warp drive may be able to travel 10 times faster than the speed of light which would mean we can get to our neighbouring stars in around 5 months?? Still a long time but starting to be on a par with early ocean voyages. If your ship is complete self sufficient the time frame wouldn't be that much of an issue. If medical advances continue we could have people with life spans of hundreds of years which would make the journeys even more plausible.

But if it's up to us to find other life it's going to take hundreds of years.

We can start populating our own solar system within the next 50-100 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I always had this burning feeling that alien life exists outside of our tiny solar system. It's a feeling of connection somehow that there is most definitely other life out there. It would be an awful waste of space if there isn't.

Don't forget that we have not physically put a human being on any other planet in our solar system/back yard except for the moon. We are still in our infancy, not only in thinking, but in the unknown of what is really out there in the vastness of deep space. There is life out there I'm sure, but I don't think they will be like us.

Their technology that we probably cannot even comprehend of could be rampant all over deep space billions of light years away, maybe even a couple of light years away that we just cannot trace or track as their technology could be completely different to what we understand. The possibilities are endless in thought, the mystery though of other life in the alien bodily format is interesting to ponder, and for a person to think we are the only life in the universe needs to expand their thinking, as we on this little planet are so tiny, at least our brains can expand outwards of the high possibility of life outside our little bubble.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    II don't think our brains can truly comprehend just how massive space actually is. Even seeing videos comparing out sun to other massive celestial objects doesn't do it justice.

and as well as space being huge, so is time!! so even less likely!!!!

Advertisement