Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that are true that you dont believe

Options
  • 16-03-2017 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I was talking to a friend earlier and we somehow ended up in a debate about snowflakes..you no the old no two snowflakes are the same theory.
    His basic argument was its science.my argument was i fail to believe 2 identical snow flakes have never fallen before.how can science even prove this ..got me thinking what other things are suposedly true that you dont beleieve ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

That we evolved from primates, i just cant believe that one, if we evolved from chimps why is there still chimps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That someone could spend 7 years on a forum and only post 25 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Thanks for the warm welcome back 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Margarine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

if we evolved from chimps why is there still chimps?

We didn't evolve from chimps. Chimps and Humans both evolved from a common ancestor called Hominin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Thanks for the warm welcome back 😉

Hanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That everything is made up of tiny particles that have other tiny particles floating around them.

Anytime I try to look at things in life, just plain old normal things, like making tea with a tea bag, or me typing this on a PC, looking at the characters on the screen, the person sitting opposite me, my hands etc......thats its all made up of atoms, molecules, protons, electrons etc etc.

Baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

NIMAN wrote: »
    That everything is made up of tiny particles that have other tiny particles floating around them.

Anytime I try to look at things in life, just plain old normal things, like making tea with a tea bag, or me typing this on a PC, looking at the characters on the screen, the person sitting opposite me, my hands etc......thats its all made up of atoms, molecules, protons, electrons etc etc.

Baffling.

Flann O'Brien had it sussed.....
    “Now take a sheep,” the sergeant said. “What is a sheep, only millions of little bits of sheepness whirling around and doing intricate convolutions inside the sheep? What else is it but that?”
    “Atomics is a very intricate theorem and can be worked out with algebra, but you would want to take it by degrees, because you might spend the whole night proving a bit of it with rulers and cosines and similar other instruments and then at the windup not believe what you had proved at all. If that happened, you would have to go back over it till you got a place where you could believe your own facts and figures and then go on again from that particular place till you had the whole thing properly believed and not have bits of it half-believed or a doubt in your head hurting you like when you lose the stud of your shirt in bed.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The landing on the moon thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

That it's not butter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Michael D Hobbitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There is no meaning to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Your Face wrote: »
    There is no meaning to life.

Asked and answered............42!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That Limerick FC are a poor team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Some people believe the world is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

NIMAN wrote: »

Baffling.

Such loose talk (just kidding) has me thinking of all the parasites living within my body and the microscopic creepies I can't see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Such loose talk (just kidding) has me thinking of all the parasites living within my body and the microscopic creepies I can't see.
    It gets weirder when you consider that taking your body as a whole, your cells are about the same number as the bacteria living in and on you. You're half "microscopic creepies". :D We're as much an ecosystem as an organism, which I think is cool myself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Santa Claus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Afrston

Is science a proof? Really? What about sectio aurea? There are many flowers, plants, shells that are very similar or the same. But flakes are made by human and I don't know any source of scientific research about that :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Afrston wrote: »
    But flakes are made by human and I don't know any source of scientific research about that :D

an-apple-a-day-head-shoulders-green-apple-shampoo-and-conditioner-review_emj8y9.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Footoo wrote: »
    Asked and answered............42!

Nope. That's the answer to the ultimate question. Which we know not what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No two cornflakes are the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I still dont know what a tracker mortgage is :o

wait......

am I doing this right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

frag420 wrote: »
    No two cornflakes are the same....

No two corn crakes are the same either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Scorpio!
    He'll sting you with his dreams, of power and wealth.
    Beware of... Scorpio!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

9 years, 12 posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

crubbeens wrote: »
    9 years, 12 posts!

crubbeens!
    He'll sting you with his dreams, of power and wealth.
    Beware of... crubeens!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

That Pi never repeats itself, how can you have infinite arrangements of a finite number of digits (1-9).

Also, that the odds of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 coming up in the Lotto are the exact same as the odds of any other random specific set of numbers.
    I don't play the lotto, mostly because I'm very aware of how long the odds are, but if I did, I'm never picking the first consecutive set of numbers, or any other consecutive set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

For me it's the birthday thing. If you put 23 random people in a room there's a 50% chance 2 will have same birthday. If you put 75 people, that rises to 99.9% possibility. I've seen the maths, I know it's true, I still don't believe it though.

Link: https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

That its not butter

Advertisement