Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hijabs need apply.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Isn't the point of this thread that there is a movement to ban the Hijab? I figured the other garments would be part of that, and without the ban, there would be issues with preventing other Islamic behaviors from being enacted.

In hindsight, my writing was poorly constructed. Sorry. :o

No that's not the point of the thread at all klaz.

Read post no. 1

pilly wrote: »
    No that's not the point of the thread at all klaz.

Read post no. 1

Yup. I got sidetracked. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Samaris wrote: »
    Edit: It doesn't actually matter that you also take out people who believe in the Loch Ness monster, btw. Your purported aim is to hit anyone who does not have the same belief set as you

I'm not sure I can say this any more simply than I already articulated but just to correct you again I DON'T HAVE A BELIEF SET. There is literally nothing "I believe". I'm hopeful about some things e.g. that the people I love genuinely reciprocate that love, that Liverpool FC will one day win the Premiership and that good always wins over evil but I do not "believe" anything.

Is there any part of that you don't get?
    That it includes all religions should actually be enough to get you under the discrimination acts in Ireland.
    Wrong. Its nothing whatsoever to do with religion. It's selection criteria based on weeding out people whose decision making is not exclusively based on logic and reason regardless of why that is. If the day comes where I am forced to positively discriminate towards hiring religious people I'll obey that law but until then..........
    It's a bit like saying that because you don't want anyone physically incapable of a job, you will therefore not hire disabled people for any job in your company and trying to argue that because you don't hire physically weak people (regardless of whether this is actually required for the task at hand), it's not discriminatory. Of course it is.
    No it's not. It's not even a bit like that. You are putting 2 + 2 together and getting 598. I would never make the argument in defence of my recruitment policy that you are suggesting I'd make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

emo72 wrote: »
    Just watched the Jim Jeffries video, and then, read the rest of the thread. Man it's funny.

I think he's the most insightful comedian out there today. He's deliberately provocative and uses a lot of bad language but he hits so many "untouchable" topics bang on the head.

If you've never seen his piece on American gun control, set aside 20 minutes and give yourself the best laugh you'll have had in a very long time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

The link above is to the first part of the video, towards the end a link to the second part pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thought this might be relevant somewhat to this thread. It seems that the Ultras of Swedish football team AIK have begun to use the Niqab to their advantage. A Swedish law, which took 4 years to pass, prohibits people from being masked at sporting events, which would include some of the AIK Ultras. They've gotten around this by donning the niqab and are protected by religious freedom it would seem. Some loophole they're using!

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/639393/sweden_just_banned_the_usage_of_masking_at_sports/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You already posted that in multiculti thread.
    Besides, this thread is about the workplace and not hijabs/niqabs specifically.

Advertisement