Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Tenger wrote: »
    The post by Irish Steve was aimed towards the speculative posts of "maybe they got mixed up and thought they were going to Blacksod at sea level rather than Blackrock at 300ft , hence why they flew into the island" type posts.

Of course in any investigation by the relevant authorites all possible causes will be explored. However the keyboard investigators making light of the high levels of professionalism are not showing respect to the memory of the R116 and their SAR colleagues who continue to do their work off our coasts. The need to get answers is apparent but as with any aviation incident there is a period of waiting that can be quite long.

Suffocation of logical and intelligent debate by posters present on this post from the offset last year .
    The accuracies and suggested possibilities scoffed at and ridiculed by those who felt they knew better .

Clearly now that is not the case .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suffocation of logical and intelligent debate by posters present on this post from the offset last year .
    The accuracies and suggested possibilities scoffed at and ridiculed by those who felt they knew better .

Clearly now that is not the case .

No, speculation of all kinds was stopped due to the sensitivities of the case.

Crowing I-told-you-so style posts are clearly pointless considering the discussion wasn't allowed to begin with. So don't make anymore should you wish to be able to post here at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

it can only unfortunately point to pilot error .
    As in any most accident final reports, the cause will be an unfortunate accumulation of many factors.

I think it's unfair to single out pilot error as a sole cause, personally I believe it was a combination of many factors (yes, including pilot error) that led to this incident but I trust the AAIB will publish all of this in the final report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

L1011 wrote: »
    No, speculation of all kinds was stopped due to the sensitivities of the case.

Crowing I-told-you-so style posts are clearly pointless considering the discussion wasn't allowed to begin with. So don't make anymore should you wish to be able to post here at all.

Again you confuse speculation with intelligent and informed opinion based on the facts presented at the time .
    Furthermore we have another example of a threat by a moderator to gag debate to facilitate the "order" in the forum . .
    Circle the wagons .

I stand by my own "speculation"
    No "crowing " as you put it just a timely reminder not to be so quick to dismiss or scoff at other people's opinions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it's a moderator enforcing the rules imposed on this thread since day one. That was your final warning of many and you've blasted right past it

Do not post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I can't imagine what news like this is like for the families. I'm sure they want to know but probably opens the wounds again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I have just removed a number of insensitive / inappropriate posts that added nothing new to the discussion and had the potential to be distressing to the families and friends of the crew of R116. I trust I will not have to remove any more

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

RTE have seen an unpublished review of overall SAR aviation ops, its is seperate and is not part of actual crash investigation.

"A review of Search and Rescue aviation operations in Ireland has identified several sources of confusion among the agencies overseeing the system.

This unpublished review seen by RTÉ News was commissioned by Minister for Transport Shane Ross on the recommendation of the Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0824/987246-rescue-116/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

RTE have seen an unpublished review of overall SAR aviation ops, its is seperate and is not part of actual crash investigation.

"A review of Search and Rescue aviation operations in Ireland has identified several sources of confusion among the agencies overseeing the system.

This unpublished review seen by RTÉ News was commissioned by Minister for Transport Shane Ross on the recommendation of the Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0824/987246-rescue-116/

Interesting excerpt:

Those findings include what it says were "several sources of confusion and potential conflicts of interest that have resulted in a lack of shared understanding of roles and responsibilities" among the agencies overseeing rescue operations.
    "

While the findings are claimed not to be related to the loss of R116, the many comments/ questions on here as to who is really responsible for oversight and overall management of SAR in Ireland would seems to have been on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Is anyone really surprised?

I feel there will be more to be revealed when the final report is published.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any word on the final report?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

irishgeo wrote: »

Spooky that.... I was watching the report of the sad likely demise of Emiliano Sala and his pilot off the Channel Islands just yesterday and asked myself- I wonder when R116 will publish...

I don't anticipate it being imminent or anything, based on the noises we last heard from officialdom, due to there being an ongoing investigation preceding/ beyond the night of...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Spooky that.... I was watching the report of the sad likely demise of Emiliano Sala and his pilot off the Channel Islands just yesterday and asked myself- I wonder when R116 will publish...

I don't anticipate it being imminent or anything, based on the noises we last heard from officialdom, due to there being an ongoing investigation preceding/ beyond the night of...
    Wasn't aware of that.

You can sub on AAIU website and get notified when new reports are published

http://www.aaiu.ie/reports/aaiu-investigation-reports

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There does seem to be an inordinate delay in publishing the final report. The AAIU have been in possession of most of the relevant information about the incident from a very early stage. Their initial report confirmed this.
    The AAIU's remit is to establish the immediate cause of the incident and the relevant factors which led up to it. They do not apportion blame or liability to any person or persons involved. However, they know that their report, whatever it says, will be interpreted by others as pointing the finger at somebody or other and will lead to public comment and possibly political controversy.
    Because of the tragic fatalities that occurred I would guess that the only reason that the final report has not issued yet is due to the sensitivity around those fatalities. They do not want to intrude into the grief of the families involved until a good deal of time has passed. For this reason they will delay their final report as long as possible. It could be another couple of years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They are not deliberately delaying it. Fatalities always adds an extra dimension to any accident investigation and it adds to the amount of agencies and private and public organisations involved; Gardai, Air Corps, Dept of Transport, IAA, Dept of Defence, HSE, Coast Guard, CHC, HSA and the families of the deceased, so there are a huge number of people in the reporting chain. Like the crash of the Pilatus, 265, and the crash of the Metroliner, it has implications for operators and agencies and will probably have repercussions that will affect some parts of aviation in Ireland, so the AAIU have to do their level best to get it as right as possible before it gets published.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Stovepipe wrote: »
    They are not deliberately delaying it. Fatalities always adds an extra dimension to any accident investigation and it adds to the amount of agencies and private and public organisations involved; Gardai, Air Corps, Dept of Transport, IAA, Dept of Defence, HSE, Coast Guard, CHC, HSA and the families of the deceased, so there are a huge number of people in the reporting chain. Like the crash of the Pilatus, 265, and the crash of the Metroliner, it has implications for operators and agencies and will probably have repercussions that will affect some parts of aviation in Ireland, so the AAIU have to do their level best to get it as right as possible before it gets published.

Am I right in thinking they also need to give interested parties time to consider and provide comment before publication?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id read some media outlets summary of it, it'll probably be long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

MadYaker wrote: »

We all pretty much know what happened and why it happened, no?

Recommendations on what to do so it never happens again will be the only worthwhile content of the final report.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nothing to do with the families, I'd say more likely not wanting to jeopardize any criminal or otherwise investigations that may be ongoing

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the families, I'd say more likely not wanting to jeopardize any criminal or otherwise investigations that may be ongoing

Those come after the final report is published.

And yes there is a consultation period for people to comment on the draft of the final report before publication.

Has it been rumoured that its release is soon, or is it just an expectation because of the approaching anniversary?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking they also need to give interested parties time to consider and provide comment before publication?

Yes, that's correct. Standard procedure.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Yes. Every interested party that is entitled to get a draft report will get one and be invited to comment, even to the point of rejecting all or part of it. That's what ties up a lot of the time, dealing with comments, replies, answers and rejections afterwards, because every reply has to be dealt with.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There does seem to be an inordinate delay in publishing the final report. The AAIU have been in possession of most of the relevant information about the incident from a very early stage. Their initial report confirmed this.
    The AAIU's remit is to establish the immediate cause of the incident and the relevant factors which led up to it. They do not apportion blame or liability to any person or persons involved. However, they know that their report, whatever it says, will be interpreted by others as pointing the finger at somebody or other and will lead to public comment and possibly political controversy.
    Because of the tragic fatalities that occurred I would guess that the only reason that the final report has not issued yet is due to the sensitivity around those fatalities. They do not want to intrude into the grief of the families involved until a good deal of time has passed. For this reason they will delay their final report as long as possible. It could be another couple of years yet.

I would reckon the report is delayed because it isso very complex, probably tbe mother of all AAIU reports as it will undoubtedly by default involve an analysis of the whole oversight of SARS operations, the production of navigation charts etc etc. we pretty much know the tragic and totally unecessary accident was a result of the crew’s lack of awareness of the topography along their particular low level flight path, and that this was as a result of lack of such information on their nav system which seems to have been unsuitable for low level flight as typically conducted by SAR helicopters which are often tasked to go into less familiar terrain. Final Reports often come with complex recommendations, and these will require a huge amount of consideration in the light of the prevailing SAR operations. Indeed Final Reports are studied by the worldwide aviation community and very often tbe recommendations are adopted by agencies all over the planet, so this report will no doubt set an aviation safety milestone punting threat to much safer protocols in the future.

Don't forget that, while this was Ireland's second only SAR heli crash, other nations have had to deal with decades of SAR / Offshore oil industry / mountain rescue crashes. As a nation, we are relatively new to this scale and tempo of these types of operation and the resultant casualties, so it is to be expected that we are still feeling our way along. Similarly, despite the scale of our airline industry and associated traffic, we have had very few hull losses and a very low death rate, so we still have a bit of a way to go to match our neighbours in the investigatory business. we have the smallest AAIU, for a country with such a huge involvement in aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MadYaker wrote: »

Id read the report itself.
    They are usually in reasonably plain language and not as slanted as a few-paragraph-media-report
    MCIB reports are interesting too, a bit less rigid, but in the same
    "how to find out what happened and not let it happen again" vein, rather than fingerpointing

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Another Interim report from the AAIU, more of a statement than a report not giving much away other than they are making progress and there won't be an annual interim report. Mentions sending the draft report out to the interested parties when its ready. I'd expect the final report is a long way off yet. No problem with that.

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/R116%20Interim%20Statement%202_1.pdf
    Interim Statement --- 1 March 2019
    Investigation into Accident involving S92A helicopter EI-ICR (R116)
    Black Rock, Co. Mayo on 14 March 2017

As per International Convention, EU Regulation and domestic Law relating to accident investigation, it is required that, if the final report into an air accident investigation cannot be made public within 12 months, the Air Accident Investigation Unit shall release an Interim Statement at least at each anniversary of the accident or serious incident, detailing the progress of the investigation and any safety issued raised. Work on the preparation of a Draft Report is at an advanced stage. Rather than preparing another detailed Interim Statement, which would detract from the ongoing work of preparing the Draft Report, the Investigation is focussing its efforts on finalising the Draft Report. Once finalised, the Draft Report will be circulated, in confidence, to interested parties as soon as possible. Accordingly, a detailed Interim Statement is not being issued on the occasion of the second anniversary of this accident.
    -END-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Two years on today, anyone with any info on the timeline of the reports publication, other than the above memo stating it’s being worked on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement