Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Aib or not to Aib

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I've decided against it personally ( although there is the gambler in me that wants to do it)

i saved up over 10K in KBC saver account over the last 2 years, i have the money, but i saved it to take some money off my mortgage and in turn reduce my monthly
    repayments and overall interest on the mortgage.

this is guaranteed to happen, but the rise in AIB share price is not.

i will have to wait and see, if i feel the need to buy some AIB shares in the future, then i will buy a 2 or 3 thousand worth, not 10000.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I do not trust BOI's figures and I suspect that some of these people are holders of BOI stock and have a vested interest in promoting them ahead of AIB shares.

FWIW, when I had a sum of cash to invest around a year ago, I asked a Financial Advisor about BOI shares (as they were around .18c -.20c) and he said stay away from European banks, especially BOI. Some people here seem to think BOI is a good investment so I hope it works out for them, but I haven't put any money in to banking shares and I will stay away from the AIB flotation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

How can AIB afford to pay out a dividend with so much bad debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

There is a very significant difference between the bottom and top of the price range for the flotation, €3.90 to €4.90. I presume it will be the Department of Finance who will ultimately decide the float price, based on orders and subscription. Can anybody confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    There is a very significant difference between the bottom and top of the price range for the flotation, €3.90 to €4.90. I presume it will be the Department of Finance who will ultimately decide the float price, based on orders and subscription. Can anybody confirm this.

Yep, thats my understanding of it. The final price will be decided on Friday 23rd when they actually go on sale and it'll be in between those two range limits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I don't understand why the AIB share price is still at €6 euro this morning...surely it should be down towards €3.90 - €4.90?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I don't understand why the AIB share price is still at €6 euro this morning...surely it should be down towards €3.90 - €4.90?

That is the point Noonan almost stated. That the thinly traded shares were irrationally priced. AIB was one of the most valuable banks in the world at one stage, based on the share prices on the stock exchange.

Like I doubt you can even short the 0.2% of shares as they are so thinly traded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

When is the cut off date for purchase of these aib shares I have brokers a/c but no cash in it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

for davys its today

cute geoge wrote: »
    When is the cut off date for purchase of these aib shares I have brokers a/c but no cash in it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

http://www.independent.ie/business/price-range-for-aibs-initial-public-offering-narrows-due-to-strong-appetite-for-deal-35847990.html
    The price range on AIB's initial public offering has narrowed to between €4.20 to €4.60 per share

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

daveirl wrote: »

When are you hoping to sell? Will it be possible to sell tomorrow or do we have to wait until Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

This would not appear to be the situation, if you go by what the Irish Times are reporting.

'Institutional investors, including pension funds and asset managers, can set the maximum price within the range that they would be willing to buy AIB stock. However, smaller investors had to commit to buying shares at the final price of the IPO that will be set by the Government and its advisers.'

Very confusing!

Fair play, 4.72/4.73 bid/ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

DeGiro is doing this today.
    Today only: Invest commission-free in AIB

Today only, DEGIRO clients can invest in AIB stocks commission-free.

This promotion is subject to terms and conditions. For more information please see www.degiro.ie/aib.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

I checked on DeGiro and there's no activity on either the ISE or LSE listing. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sold half my allocation at 4.70 earlier, gonna hold off a day or two before deciding what to do with the remainder. The price seems to be set at the correct point, ensuring a small gain for investors without triggering the 'the bastards are giving away the family silver!' cries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dipped into AIB at the floatation. Bought 11K worth and with the floatation price at 4.4 ended up with 2500 shares. Sold half today at 5.1 and ended up with 6350 nets of costs. I will hold the other 1250 they now have a nett cost of 3.72/share.

Always tought the AIB floatation was a banker after the the way institutions lost out on the Irish Permenant floatation. In general I have always invested in Government floatations. I used to off load completely after getting particially stung on the Eircom float. I had bought 5X4500 pound allotments and sold 3 at over 30% profit. Held the other two lots and would have lost 10-15% on them

Aerlingus was a realy nice touch made 2.5K on a 10K sale by waiting until official opening day. Made two twists on that share after really lucky share for me. Had share in PTSB and took up an allocation losing a bit on them but only in it for about 3K in total but losing over 30% on it.

Will see about future AIB share sell-off and decide if it is worth a twist

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Took the plunge myself in the end too. Sold out a few weeks after the Floatation and trousered about 12% profit. Not bad. If everything I invested in yielded 12% after a couple of weeks I'd be a very happy camper. :-)

Advertisement