Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Belfort vs Gastelum Sat Mar 11th 12am GMT

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Barboza been my favourite fighter pretty much since he came to the UFC so I'm delighted with his win, likewise for Shogun.

The last three fights were absolute belters!

Also, there's a murderer's row on top of the Lightweight division. I'm gonna get very impatient if McGregor keeps holding the division up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

I find the whole Conor holding up the division a strange narrative. He won the lightweight title on 12 nov 16, so its been 4 months to the day. Although Alvarez had a relatively quick turnaround of just 2 months, the previous incumbent had seven months between title defences, from Dec 9 '15 to Jul 7 '16.

The current middleweight title holder hasnt fought in 5 months
    The current heavyweight title holder hasnt fought in 6 months
    The current light heavyweight title holder hasnt fought in 8 months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

haven't they all got fights booked though?

cletus wrote: »
    I find the whole Conor holding up the division a strange narrative. He won the lightweight title on 12 nov 16, so its been 4 months to the day. Although Alvarez had a relatively quick turnaround of just 2 months, the previous incumbent had seven months between title defences, from Dec 9 '15 to Jul 7 '16.

Ya but he's not gonna defend the belt any time soon and he has no interest in doing so - that's clear

• Advertisement

By his own admission, he's out till July, so that makes 8 months, with the mitigating factor that he announced he would be taking a break due to the birth of his child. Prior to this break, and including a knee injury, he has fought ten times in the last 31/2 years.

I dont know anything about his intent to defend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

By his own admission, he's out till July, so that makes 8 months, with the mitigating factor that he announced he would be taking a break due to the birth of his child. Prior to this break, and including a knee injury, he has fought ten times in the last 31/2 years.

I dont know anything about his intent to defend

3 titles and 0 defences would paint a picture

Interim feathweight, which he consolidated with the actual featherweight title. He moved to lightweight, as he said he would, to be the first dual title holder.

A number of factors meant that extra fights were taken before the lightweight title fight, which he won. He then said he was taking a break. Still dont know anything about his intent to defend the lightweight title

If Conor had a fight planned by now you would have a point :pac: He is planning on having a boxing match in june and doesn't seem to have any intention of defending his belt, same as he didn't with the FW division.

Current middleweight? Bisping has a fight bookked with GSP (which is a bs fight, he should fight no 1 contender).
    Current heavyweight? has a fight booked and has already defended his title.
    Light heavyweight? He was booked to fight Jon jones and then got injured and then was booked again and jones failed a drug test and he fought Silva on a moments notice. Not really the same thing.

So just to summarize none of the other champions are near the same thing, they are all defending or intending to defend. Conor needs to **** or get off the pot, he either defends or lets a real champion get the belt. I say this as a Conor fan but I am not a fanboy, I want a good champoin whether that champion is Irish or not.

Advertisement