Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atomic Blonde

Options
  • 10-03-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

New Charlize Theron action flick.Unrated trailer drops today. Apart from that,I hadn't heard of the movie until now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Directed by one half of the John Wick team David Leitch so expect action lots of action.

A female John Wick.

He will also be directing Deadpool 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

but saying that..

TAKE ALL MY FREAKING MONEY, RIGHT NOW!

I think I fcuking love her.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hopefully those are unfinished sound effects in the fight scene, but otherwise this looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That looks great.

• Advertisement

I've watched the trailer many times.

Many many times.

Regardless of the film. Something about the trailer just feels so new or something.

Well done trailer maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sofia Boutella in there too, as the "French operative". Me likey. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bnt wrote: »
    Sofia Boutella in there too, as the "French operative". Me likey. ;)

She is Robert Sheehan's real life lady

New Trailer :D

Also an international one...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, that's one slick, stylish looking thriller.

Crazy how much the action genre has morphed over the years. Spin back to the 80-90s and its stars were the musclebound meat puppets such as Arnie with zero acting ability. Now, arguably, the biggest action stars are also legitimate acting stars in their own right, such as Theron or Scarlett Johansson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, that's one slick, stylish looking thriller.

Crazy how much the action genre has morphed over the years. Spin back to the 80-90s and its stars were the musclebound meat puppets such as Arnie with zero acting ability. Now, arguably, the biggest action stars are also legitimate acting stars in their own right, such as Theron or Scarlett Johansson.

...And Keanu Reeves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think what distinguishes them from earlier action stars is that they aren't macho guys. Reeves was a bit of trailblazer in this regard. You wouldn't exactly call his character in The Matrix tough, would you? He has more in common with Asian action stars. Reeves is also the link between the two recent Theron and Johansson films - which are heavily influenced by John Wick and The Matrix respectively.

Those tow women still have a long way to go till they hit China O' Brien levels :) Cynthia Rothrock was boss.

Final Trailer

August 9th release in the UK so I'd guess same here.

AWESOME!

.. trailer..

Like.. mustn't get too hyped until I've seen the film obvs... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I want Charlize Theron's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hmm, looks very derivative - take Jason Bourne make him a sassy girl friendly blonde, add a bit of Diva and Ronin.

Why are the cops driving about in 20 year old cars or is it set in the past?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, looks very derivative - take Jason Bourne make him a sassy girl friendly blonde, add a bit of Diva and Ronin.

It's set in Berlin during the 1980s.

It still looks very slick & stylish, and that could yet be both its greatest strength and weakness. The film looks to be reaching for a very polished approach to a 1980s grunginess. Hopefully it doesn't get too lost in its 80s playlists, and the action & charisma is also there.

Set in the late '80s during the last Cold War.

• Advertisement

Cheers, beyond the cars it was hard to tell anything about era (though I suppose I should have noted no one had a mobile phone or laptop) and often you see suspiciously elderly vehicles in modern films which you know are going to get written off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Anyone else struck that it's "hot" to have a film based around a heroine who is hot for the girls, if Bourne were bi curious or just proper gay the films would never have been made. Maybe it's time for Hollywood to grow up a bit.

Anyone else struck that it's "hot" to have a film based around a heroine who is hot for the girls, if Bourne were bi curious or just proper gay the films would never have been made. Maybe it's time for Hollywood to grow up a bit.

What strikes me more about Theron's character in this is that she's interested in sex at all. With the exception of Bond, most male action heroes these days are practically asexual. And even Bond seems to have to remind himself.

Grace got to see it already! Says it's really good!

First reaction:
    https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/889643087160594432

Full review (she avoids spoilers)

Arrggh!! The film isn't out here for ages!!!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406566/releaseinfo
    Like, It's out loads of places weeks and/or days ahead of us (we're 11 August)

Bob is in (though says it's a lot more Spy film that advertised):

Stuckman says it lags where there isn't violence:

The overwhelming message I'm getting is that there is a whopper of a fight at the end and the elevator trailer is a part of it.

Theron was on The Daily Show last night in the States she as been trying to get this to screen for 5 years and they finished filming it 2 years ago.

She told about breaking two of her back teeth from clamping down her jaw to much during a fight scene.

It's set 6 days before the fall of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems to tick off all the progressive cliches while pretending to be innovative and fresh.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw the Trailer this week and it looked like a mix between Taken,John Wick with some James Bond feelings to it also. I was enjoying the trailer, then it got to a point where I had to cross my legs, and my misses let out an audible "oh for **** sake". :D

• Advertisement

Seen it. The big fight and other action scenes are its strengths. The 80s were well referenced *scratches head* ... as best I can remember :).

The story was like.. you know .. a spy story. It seemed to be missing something. Something to really bring the audience in. It was solid enough... like.. it dotted the i's and cross the t's.

Really though
    it was centered on the stairwell fight and everything led to it. The trailers advertised it, they set the scene, tensed things up, cut the music and just plain let rip.
    That sold me :)

Advertisement