Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Limerick Odeon.

I go out of my way to go there instead of the omniplex as it's on the rathkeale side and it's near impossible avoid them there. I also go to as late a show as possible...

Staff are petrified in case of being labelled racist.

I live about 2 mins away from the Odeon but always go to Showtime, it's best in Limerick I think. Really sharp pictures as well compared to the Odeon. Awful to hear that carry on though, feels like you were robbed a good movie.

I thought Get Out was very enjoyable, definitely kept the audience intrigued until the very end. Only issue I'd have is the ending could have been played out much better, seemed a bit rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I have no idea why this film is getting such high praise, it was going good up until the
    brain swapping surgery phase
    and then it all just fell to ****, into the realm of the unbelievable.

There have been far better horrors which don't even get half the ratings this is getting :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

nix wrote: »
    I have no idea why this film is getting such high praise, it was going good up until the
    brain swapping surgery phase
    and then it all just fell to ****, into the realm of the unbelievable.

There have been far better horrors which don't even get half the ratings this is getting :confused:

I'm kind of surprised that the
    Sunken Place
    didn't count as unbelievable, if the later development you mention crossed the line into unbelievable. It's hardly the first film the have an outlandish element of some kind, was it just the whole idea that you didn't like or something about how it was presented?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised that the
    Sunken Place
    didn't count as unbelievable, if the later development you mention crossed the line into unbelievable. It's hardly the first film the have an outlandish element of some kind, was it just the whole idea that you didn't like or something about how it was presented?

Well i bought into the whole hypnotism thing and just took the
    sunken place
    as the name of the hypnotic/trance state they were put into. Having that ability and using it to create slaves, was a natural step if one were an evil ****. But then introducing the whole
    brain surgery mind swapping twist
    just seemed unnecessary to carry the movie forward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

nix wrote: »
    Well i bought into the whole hypnotism thing and just took the
    sunken place
    as the name of the hypnotic/trance state they were put into. Having that ability and using it to create slaves, was a natural step if one were an evil ****. But then introducing the whole
    brain surgery mind swapping twist
    just seemed unnecessary to carry the movie forward.

Well, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

I quite like the way they did it, because
    it has an insidious sort of resonance with actual slavery in that the bodily autonomy and will of the victim is taken over by the brain donor, but the victim is still aware of everything happening to them. It also explains why the few black people Chris meets are completely unfamiliar with any elements of contemporary black culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Posting from phone so can't use the spoiler tags, so spoilers ahead!

Enjoyed Get Out, but it's very good rather than great. It's better than your average mainstream horror/thriller movie, but not massively so. I thought Allison Williams and Daniel Kaluuya were both great in their roles. The first half is a lot better than the second, but I'm glad the ending didn't go for the lame option of having Chris arrested for the deaths towards the end. Overall a solid 7/7.5 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Also, sorry to hear some of ye had the experience ruined by other idiots in the cinema. Would ye consider going to a subtitled showing by any chance? I always do because I'm hard of hearing, and it's great because there's never usually more than four or five people present.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I honestly dont get the hype surrounding this one. Saw it and it was all a bit meh, zero twists for me very predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Thought it was very good. Not quite brilliant but genuinely chilling and scary, with a nice touch of comedy. Definitely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Thought it was very good. Not quite brilliant but genuinely chilling and scary, with a nice touch of comedy. Definitely recommended.

+1 - perfectly sums it up for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Also, sorry to hear some of ye had the experience ruined by other idiots in the cinema. Would ye consider going to a subtitled showing by any chance? I always do because I'm hard of hearing, and it's great because there's never usually more than four or five people present.

I would if it meant avoiding the idiots. Unfortunately I'd say that's something people can't avail of outside Dublin.

I would if it meant avoiding the idiots. Unfortunately I'd say that's something people can't avail of outside Dublin.

Not so! I go in both Cork and Tralee. Both Odeon and Omniplex do subtitled showings nationwide. In fact this page is updated weekly and tells you every subtitled movie being shown around Ireland for the week. It'll only be one showing a week and the times aren't great, but hopefully you can find something that's near or works for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Since I saw it, I've read a few rave reviews and it is absolutely coining it in the USA. Bit surprised really. For me, the comedy aspect didn't really gel with the tone of the rest of the film, and overall it came across as a shlocky B-movie. Enjoyable stuff, but no masterpiece.

Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it but agreed with the bolded bit. Reading American reviews, that aspect went down well over there but the TSA's guy schtick was overdone to me. It got old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I know it's a dark comedy and not Roots but lets not pretend this film does not have a political agenda.

It's very overtly political, why would you think people wouldn't get that?
    Fysh wrote: »
    It was ingeresting seeing Caleb Landry Jones as a supporting role - I'm more used to seeing him in focal roles like Antiviral or Byzantium.

Breaking Bad was where I knew him from! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Honestly was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Best cinema experience I have had in a long time - the audience definitely were very into what was happening - without being disruptive.

One of the best films I've seen in the past few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just seen this and enjoyed it immensely. Loved the 80s b-movie schlock feel of it.

I'm still very surprised that this has been so well received both critically and from viewers. There wasn't much to differentiate from most horror/thrillers, it's only slightly better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wasn't overly impressed, I was under the impression it was a dark comedy and I struggled to see where they funny bits were. The rest of the film was ok, I thought the first half dragged a bit. It's not a bad film, I just expected more given the reviews.

Wasn't overly impressed, I was under the impression it was a dark comedy and I struggled to see where they funny bits were. The rest of the film was ok, I thought the first half dragged a bit. It's not a bad film, I just expected more given the reviews.

I don't think any of it was laugh out funny but the schlocky feel of the entire movie and the totally over the top nature of the revelation and the final act had me grinning like an idiot. It felt very much like the horror movies of the 80s that I loved as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It was a Twilight Zone episode with timely social commentary which I'm guessing is why it's getting such rave reviews.

I'd give it a 6/10, but wouldn't be pushed to give it another viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think any of it was laugh out funny but the schlocky feel of the entire movie and the totally over the top nature of the revelation and the final act had me grinning like an idiot. It felt very much like the horror movies of the 80s that I loved as a kid.
    Especially Miss."Now that I've revealed I'm evil I'm going to tie my hair back"
    :D

Penn wrote: »
    Especially Miss."Now that I've revealed I'm evil I'm going to tie my hair back"
    :D
    Her whole preppy outfit with her big glass of milk was just perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Exactly this for me as well. Like an episode of The Twilight Zone/Masters of Horror with a more modern framework, but the tone and style was totally familiar and comfortable. Nail on head for me, but I can absolutely see how the appeal is hard to understand to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought it was hilarious, in a good way. It mixed contemporary cringe humour with classic thriller themes. It worked!

Loved the bit when the flash goes off when he's trying to take a sneaky pic. The social awkwardness and silence of the group is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Can anyone explain the opening scene of the film?

It doesn't fit at all with the apparent usual modus operandi of the family business...

I really enjoyed the film. Was rattled afterwards :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

elefant wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the opening scene of the film?

It doesn't fit at all with the apparent usual modus operandi of the family business...

I really enjoyed the film. Was rattled afterwards :pac:
    I don't think there is a modus operandi. The siblings are tasked with bringing in the goods, how they do it is up to them. Rose seduces her prey, while her brother uses brute force. Her method is presumably much more profitable since they get to parade the goods in front of the buyers before the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't think there is a modus operandi. The siblings are tasked with bringing in the goods, how they do it is up to them. Rose seduces her prey, while her brother uses brute force. Her method is presumably much more profitable since they get parade the goods in front of the buyers before the auction.

Ah, fair enough.
    I thought I saw that guy in one of her pictures, but I must have been mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

elefant wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough.
    I thought I saw that guy in one of her pictures, but I must have been mistaken

Can someone tell me how to do the spoiling thing? I have a theory on this but of course don't want to say anything and ruin the movie for someone who hasn't seen it.

Can someone tell me how to do the spoiling thing? I have a theory on this but of course don't want to say anything and ruin the movie for someone who hasn't seen it.

Okay.
    In the replay window, select your text and then press spoiler on the top right side of the reply window and Ta-Dah - Spoiler Text!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Okay.
    In the replay window, select your text and then press spoiler on the top right side of the reply window and Ta-Dah - Spoiler Text!!!

I hope this works
    Admittedly I havent rewatched this since seeing it in the cinema but I thought the guy abducted at the start of the movie was the friend who went missing and ended up married to the older woman, I can't recall his name right now. Young guy, hat, married to the old woman, freaked out at the party.

Advertisement