We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Irish Weather Statistics

13031323335

Comments

  • #2


    Now it's time for February 1895, one of the most intensely cold months in the history of Ireland and it was to start where January left off, how very appropriate. It was dominated by an easterly to southeasterly airflow and was very dry for all, including those impacted by heavy snow showers or snowstorms. Edenfel (Tyrone) had 13.0mm all month whilst even Clifden (Galway) had only 38.4mm - contrast to nearly over 200mm more in the preceding December which was discussed in a previous post.

    The Scandinavian High attempted to throw ridges westwards across northern Europe through the first few days of February, eventually becoming a Greenland High by the 5th/6th producing one of the most extreme cold patterns you can get in this part of the world which I will get onto in a moment below.

    archives-1895-2-1-12-0.png?

    archives-1895-2-1-12-1.png?

    Here's an animated gif of the early days of February 1895, watch how the blocks to our north develop.

    9yC7WxA.gif

    The whole of Ireland was engulfed by an extremely cold airmass on the 6th with the normal weather pattern completely reversed. Strong northern blocking stretching from the Canadian Arctic all the way to northern Russia. Easterly winds extending from central Russia to North America. North Atlantic jet stream is through the Mediterranean.

    There were frequent snow showers on this easterly flow for some (whilst for others very short-lived but dumped a lot within that time and a thaw was not going to come for a good few days) but at this point, it was the low temperatures that were making the headlines. On the 6th, values included:

    -15.0C at Edenfel, Tyrone
    -18.3C at Waringstown, Down
    -20.6C at Ballinasloe, Galway

    Both the latter values are disregarded from official records however, probably due to non-standard exposure.

    archives-1895-2-6-12-0.png?

    archives-1895-2-6-12-1.png?

    The easterly winds generally intensified on the 7th (resulting in snow drifts for some) limiting the temperatures to get as low as they did overnight on the 6th but there was a quiet slot early in the day that allowed the record lowest February minimum temperature in Ireland to occur with -17.8C at Mostrim (Co. Longford), this record stands to this day.

    Later on the 7th, the wind veered more southeasterly with areas of low pressure forming in the cold airmass as it hits the Atlantic as well as lows trying to attack from the southwest. This provided the moisture for a snow event on the 8th and 9th with Clifden (Co. Galway) reporting a "raging blizzard" that hadn't been seen for many years in the west. Darrynane Abbey (Co. Kerry) reported a snow depth of 33 cm (13 inches).

    The UK monthly weather report for February 1895 states: "The snowstorms which occurred over Ireland and the southwest of Scotland on the 6th and 7th were very heavy, the amount at Donaghadee (Co. Down) on the latter day yielding when melted as much as 1.6 inches of water in the gauge". Remember that 1 inch of rain is equivalent to 10 inches (25 cm) of snow though can depend on the temperature.

    archives-1895-2-7-12-0.png?

    Hand drawn temperature map (Fahrenheit) by the UK Met Office for 7 February 1895 showing maximum temperatures widely in the 20s and an isotherm of 20F in the midlands which indicates daytime temperatures getting as high as -6.7C. Even Valentia Observatory in the southwest struggled around freezing during the day.

    0xthgWl.png

    After the snowstorm finished, an absolute drought began which was chiefly in the east but vast majority had a prolonged dry spell for the rest of February right up until the 1st day of March. However, at no point did it warm up with gradual and slow thawing of the snowfalls as a result.

    Further severe frost at times including -12.8C at Carlow (Browne's Hill) on the 12th. For a good few stations, the entire of February had an air AND grass frost with no day frost free. Can imagine this greatly delayed the onset of spring. Fortunately, besides a relatively cool March, Spring 1895 was much milder and included a warm May.

    archives-1895-2-12-12-0.png?

    archives-1895-2-17-0-0.png?

    archives-1895-2-23-12-0.png?

    Reports from the magazine on February 1895:

    DARRYNANE ABBEY.—The first few days were very cold with S.E. wind, which backed to S.W. on the 6th, when, about 6 p.m., S began and continued all night, covering the ground to a depth of about 13 inches. On the high grounds and in exposed places the drifts were very heavy, and all postal communication was stopped till the 10th. Wet S and sleet fell on 8th, and E on 10th, 13th and 14th. The rest of the month was very fine but rather cold.

    WATERFORD, BROOK LODGE.—A very cold month ; prevailing wind easterly. The wind was S. on the 6th when heavy S fell, and the drifts after the blizzard on the 10th had not melted at the close. Thrushes were singing at the close.

    O'BRIENSBRIDGE, Ross—The actual R falling was only 09 in., the balance of the total being melted snow. Since the memorable year, 1855, there has been nothing to compare with the frost and polar wind of this month, in duration and intensity. S began to fall in the afternoon of 6th and, lasting only two hours, effectually blocked the country for a week after.

    DUBLIN.—The coldest February that is since 1855. The mean temp. (34°.2) was 8-6F below the average, 10.7F below that of February 1894, and 1.4F below that of January 1895. There was an overwhelming prevalence of strong E. and S.E. winds. The rainfall was scanty and consisted principally of S and H. Absolute drought held from the 7th to the 20th inclusive. Fogs on six days.

    CLIFDEN, KYLEMORE.—On the 9th a snow blizzard raged all day, such as has not been known in the West for many years.

    WARINGSTOWN.—Continuous frost, S covering the ground all the month. On the morning of the 7th the min. temp, was —1°, a reading only equalled once since observations began in 1860 ; though zero was touched on Jan 7th, 1894.

    EDENFEL.—The month was remarkable here, as elsewhere, for its intense and protracted severity. Both in January 1867, and in January 1881, even lower temperatures were reached in the screen, but in those years there was no such persistence of low temperature even in January, nor can I find any February record at all approaching that of this year.

    That's another historical winter and post concluded. Hopefully you enjoyed learning about 1878-79 and 1894-95, two of the most extreme cold and snowy winters you will find for Ireland. As for the future, I have no idea what I'll post besides current stats. If you have any ideas, let me know.

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    Incredible accounts there Syran. Thanks for the great work in putting it all together. Never heard about 1895 before but wow, imagine experiencing something like today?


  • #2


    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Incredible accounts there Syran. Thanks for the great work in putting it all together. Never heard about 1895 before but wow, imagine experiencing something like today?

    Indeed. While reading it i wished i had access to a time machine:) As i don't think we'll experience a sustained cold period like that in our lifetime..


  • #2


    Haven't updated on this in a while, the final figure for January 2020 rainfall in Ireland was 92.1mm, based on an 11-station grid, which was not as dry as January 2017 or 2019 but still quite drier than average. Driest month (relative to average) since May last year. This follows on from a very slightly drier than average (basically average) December though with some station variation.

    3P6g8u7.png

    Monthly totals for every month since January 2010.

    R31x96v.png

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    It's not wrong to say that our windstorms are generally weaker nowadays than those seen in the 90s/80s... here's some of the worst ones Ireland has had. Look how many red warranted gusts were recorded.. compared to the measly 1-3 we get now.

    CjN6IVq.png

    Data from Met Éireann.

    EDIT: Added January 1976, two storms of January 1974 and ex-hurricane Debbie.

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    Woah!!

    The reddest one of all was the day after I was born...

    Maybe I should be Paulwindry


  • #2


    Are there any long term historical statistics for average wind speeds?

    I know that our wind events might be weaker than in the past, but at the same time, as a cyclist, this has felt like one of windiest winters in a while, in terms of just average windspeeds throughout each day. It feels like months since there was a day where I wasn't struggling against head or crosswinds while commuting on my bike.


  • #2


    MJohnston wrote: »
    Are there any long term historical statistics for average wind speeds?

    I know that our wind events might be weaker than in the past, but at the same time, as a cyclist, this has felt like one of windiest winters in a while, in terms of just average windspeeds throughout each day. It feels like months since there was a day where I wasn't struggling against head or crosswinds while commuting on my bike.

    The CSO has keyed and are checking around 450 station years of historical daily data for around seven stations - roughly 1880-1959 for most stations but Phoenix Park goes back to 1867 and is being extended back to 1829. Wind direction and force is included. Met Eireann will validate and publish when all of the work is done.


  • #2


    Syran's wind chart up above is further proof that global warming/climate change does not equate to more severe weather. Quite the opposite in fact. Imagine the hysteria if we went into a period of storminess like that again today by people who assume to know everything about the future of the global climate, but absolutely nothing about the recent history of weather/climate in their own country, even when this historical data is freely available to them to look at via the national Meteorological Service.

    I do sometimes wonder about the supposed 'intelligence' my fellow species. They need to be told everything, and not only that, but they need to be told to what to accept or what to reject. We live in an age now where practically everyone has a snazzy new 'smart phone' at their finger tips. So much technology and quality information right at their finger tips, yet as a society, we seem to be becoming less and less capable of critical analysis/thought and applying basic reasoning skills.

    Yes, I realise the above is straying dangerously close to grumpy old man territory, but maybe, just maybe, the grumpiness of old men is more than a little justified.


  • #2


    /unfollows thread


  • #2


    /uncomfortable truths.


  • #2


    MJohnston wrote: »
    Are there any long term historical statistics for average wind speeds?

    I know that our wind events might be weaker than in the past, but at the same time, as a cyclist, this has felt like one of windiest winters in a while, in terms of just average windspeeds throughout each day. It feels like months since there was a day where I wasn't struggling against head or crosswinds while commuting on my bike.

    Here's a dataset I created solely to answer your question and it is based on a 6-station grid comprising of Belmullet, Valentia Observatory, Mullingar, Casement Aerodrome, Johnstown Castle and Malin Head. Winters pre-1967 for Casement used Dublin Airport data instead and winters pre-2007 for Johnstown Castle used Rosslare data instead. I felt this was a fairly good distribution of stations although maybe a Cork station wouldn't have gone amiss.

    You'd be correct on it being one of the windiest winters in a while (data is up to Feb 24th but very little will change between now and the end of the week) with a mean wind speed of 13.6 kts which makes it the windiest since 2013-14 after a couple of relatively calm years since 2016-17 (mean wind speeds all below 12 kts). This still fails to compete with the windiest winters in the 70s to 90s decades however during the previous cold AMO phase.

    Windiest winters in terms of mean wind speed:

    1989-90; 15.9 kts
    1988-89; 15.6 kts
    1974-75; 15.4 kts
    1982-83; 15.3 kts
    1994-95; 15.2 kts

    A definite downtrend in winter mean wind speeds since the AMO entered its warm phase with record calm years of 2009-10 and 2010-11.

    NNgzfGV.png

    For what it's worth in terms of February and considering the closest station to you in this dataset, Casement Aerodrome has had its windiest February since 1997 with a mean wind speed of 13.9 kts up to the 24th. For a winter month in general, it is the windiest since December 2015 (15.8 kts).

    I've attached the spreadsheet of this dataset for interest and a PNG of the graph above.

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    Thanks for that data Syran. At first glance, it would seem that winter wind speeds over Ireland not only correlate with the AMO, but also that of Arctic temperatures/sea ice in that winter wind speeds seem to have been higher when the Arctic was much cooler.


  • #2


    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thanks for that data Syran. At first glance, it would seem that winter wind speeds over Ireland not only correlate with the AMO, but also that of Arctic temperatures/sea ice in that winter wind speeds seem to have been higher when the Arctic was much cooler.

    So global warming is to blame for our lack of proper storms;)


  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thanks to Donegal Storm giving me an excel file of many Irish stations' every 25.0c+ day since their records began. It has allowed me further to compile my list that I made ages ago of the highest absolute maximum temperature in Ireland for every year as far back as possible. Using this file, I have been able to go back to 1961. I cannot guarantee that these are the highest of some of the years but they're the highest out of the file. If any higher maximums are found, it will be updated. I have also updated some of the years that I had previously on the list because I discovered higher maximum temperatures than what MÉ's weather bulletins have showed in that file.

    Been busy doing this and also updating the Irish heatwaves excel file with more stations.

    2018: 32.0°C at Shannon Airport on June 28th
    2017: 28.4°C at Phoenix Park on June 21st
    2016: 30.4°C at Mount Dillon on July 19th
    2015: 26.1°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on June 30th
    2014: 28.8°C at Durrow on July 25th
    2013: 31.0°C at Dooks on July 19th
    2012: 28.3°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) on May 25th
    2011: 26.0°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) & Athy (Chanterlands) on June 3rd
    2010: 27.1°C at Elphin on May 22nd and Ardee (Boharnamoe) on May 23rd
    2009: 28.6°C at Galway (University College) on June 2nd
    2008: 25.9°C at Ardtamon on July 27th and Cork (Clover Hill) on July 28th
    2007: 27.0°C at Dooks on June 9th and Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 11th
    2006: 32.3°C at Elphin on July 19th
    2005: 30.3°C at Kildalton on July 12th
    2004: 27.3°C at Birr on August 1st
    2003: 30.4°C at Boora on August 8th
    2002: 26.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on August 5th
    2001: 28.4°C at Ardee (Boharnamoe) on July 28th
    2000: 28.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 18th
    1999: 28.0°C at Warrenstown and Athy (Chanterlands) on July 9th
    1998: 26.7°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 8th
    1997: 28.4°C at Ardfert on May 31st
    1996: 27.0°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) and Shannon Airport on June 16th, Kilfinnane Education Centre and Killarney (Muckross Hse.) on June 17th
    1995: 30.8°C at Kilkenny on August 2nd
    1994: 26.8°C at Portlaoise (Coolnamona) on August 1st
    1993: 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1992: 27.3°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1991: 28.4°C at Cahirciveen on September 5th
    1990: 31.0°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on August 2nd
    1989: 30.5°C at Lanesboro (Doire Dharog) on July 19th
    1988: 26.0°C at Dungarvan (Carriglea) on June 23rd
    1987: 29.0°C at Waterford Airport on July 5th
    1986: 27.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 27th
    1985: 25.1°C at Dublin (Merrion Square) on July 2nd & September 30th
    1984: 27.9°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on July 27th
    1983: 32.2°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on July 14th
    1982: 27.0°C at Glencolumbkille (Drimroe) on June 4th
    1981: 26.2°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 25th
    1980: 26.5°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on August 20th
    1979: 25.8°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 16th & 17th, Ballybrittas on July 27th and Dublin (Glasnevin) on July 28th
    1978: 26.5°C at Boora on May 31st
    1977: 28.7°C at Ballybrittas on July 7th
    1976: 32.5°C at Boora on June 29th
    1975: 31.5°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1974: 28.0°C at Thurles (Sugar Factory) on August 25th
    1973: 28.7°C at Boora on August 15th
    1972: 28.7°C at Killarney (St. Finans Hosp.) on July 19th
    1971: 26.9°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 8th
    1970: 27.9°C at Warrenstown on June 10th
    1969: 29.6°C at Fermoy (Moore Park) on July 15th
    1968: 26.6°C at Tuam (Airglooney) on June 12th
    1967: 26.4°C at Ballybrittas on June 17th
    1966: 26.2°C at Ballincurra on July 22nd
    1965: 25.2°C at Ballybrittas on June 29th
    1964: 26.0°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1963: 26.8°C at Dublin (Rathfarnham Castle) on July 30th
    1962: 25.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 8th
    1961: 28.4°C at Gurteen (Agr. Coll.) on September 1st

    Data comes from Met Éireann.

    Do you have a link for where these were found? I am very surprised at the 1974 figure of 28.0C on 25th August; the highest I was aware of in Ireland was 25.7C at Belmullet on June 21st.


  • #2


    pk18 wrote: »
    Do you have a link for where these were found? I am very surprised at the 1974 figure of 28.0C on 25th August; the highest I was aware of in Ireland was 25.7C at Belmullet on June 21st.

    As I mention in the post, I got the figure from a file a poster shared with me (I think it was via PM rather than post in this thread). Unfortunately, that was a while ago now and I deleted all my PMs.

    However, good thing you brought it up because looks to me that it's an error on Met Éireann's behalf in their historical database on met.ie. The pattern on 25th August 1974 looks in no way conducive to such a max temperature at Thurles. The 28.0C figure on met.ie database for the station is also sandwiched between 19.0C on 24th and 16.6C on the 26th. Another mistake to bring up with the Met I guess.

    Nice catch!

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    Dear Met Eireann

    Blah de blah

    You cant even get the weather for 45 and a bit years ago right

    What's wrong with ye


  • #2


    1993: 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1987: 29.0°C at Waterford Airport on July 5th

    Those seem like they might be rather high too! The highest I was aware of in 1993 was 25.0°C at Ballyshannon on 28th June and in 1987 26.6°C at Dublin Airport on 16th August.

    The highest temperature of the 20th century was 32.5°C at Boora on 29 June 1976, but it is said that the 32.0°C at Shannon Airport on 28 June 2018 is the highest on record at a synoptic station. I am in UK so am unfamiliar with some terms used. What is the difference between a synoptic station and stations like Boora?


  • #2


    pk18 wrote: »
    1993: 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1987: 29.0°C at Waterford Airport on July 5th

    Those seem like they might be rather high too! The highest I was aware of in 1993 was 25.0°C at Ballyshannon on 28th June and in 1987 26.6°C at Dublin Airport on 16th August.

    The highest temperature of the 20th century was 32.5°C at Boora on 29 June 1976, but it is said that the 32.0°C at Shannon Airport on 28 June 2018 is the highest on record at a synoptic station. I am in UK so am unfamiliar with some terms used. What is the difference between a synoptic station and stations like Boora?

    Not so sure on the 1987 figure because it was a warm day in southeast Ireland. Those figures you are aware of are probably from the monthly weather bulletins which back in that day *mostly* showed only synoptic stations. Stations like Boora were climate stations. Synoptic stations were stations that collected data at "synoptic times" like 0000, 0600, 1200 and 1800 along with others like 0300, 0900 etc. Climate stations tend to be volunteered. Before UKMO WOW had climate stations' data automatically updating, we only had synoptic stations' data immediately. For climate stations, we had to wait at least a few months after for the data to come into the online database.

    The synoptic stations are on the monthly and daily data section of met.ie (and yesterday's weather/current observations pages). There are currently 25 in operation.

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not so sure on the 1987 figure because it was a warm day in southeast Ireland. Those figures you are aware of are probably from the monthly weather bulletins which back in that day *mostly* showed only synoptic stations. Stations like Boora were climate stations. Synoptic stations were stations that collected data at "synoptic times" like 0000, 0600, 1200 and 1800 along with others like 0300, 0900 etc. Climate stations tend to be volunteered. Before UKMO WOW had climate stations' data automatically updating, we only had synoptic stations' data immediately. For climate stations, we had to wait at least a few months after for the data to come into the online database.

    The synoptic stations are on the monthly and daily data section of met.ie (and yesterday's weather/current observations pages). There are currently 25 in operation.

    They were from the weather reports. I remember the August 1990 edition mentioning that 31.0C was recorded at Glasnevin and 30.6C at Phoenix Park, the highest at a "weather station" was 29.5C at Casement Aerodrome.

    Is the database still available on the met Eireann website?


  • #2


    pk18 wrote: »
    They were from the weather reports. I remember the August 1990 edition mentioning that 31.0C was recorded at Glasnevin and 30.6C at Phoenix Park, the highest at a "weather station" was 29.5C at Casement Aerodrome.

    Is the database still available on the met Eireann website?

    The link below. Some data are missing for whatever reason on their new site's historical database so you'll need to check archive.met.ie too (second one).

    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

    http://archive.met.ie/climate-request/

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thanks to Donegal Storm giving me an excel file of many Irish stations' every 25.0c+ day since their records began. It has allowed me further to compile my list that I made ages ago of the highest absolute maximum temperature in Ireland for every year as far back as possible. Using this file, I have been able to go back to 1961. I cannot guarantee that these are the highest of some of the years but they're the highest out of the file. If any higher maximums are found, it will be updated. I have also updated some of the years that I had previously on the list because I discovered higher maximum temperatures than what MÉ's weather bulletins have showed in that file.

    Been busy doing this and also updating the Irish heatwaves excel file with more stations.

    2018: 32.0°C at Shannon Airport on June 28th
    2017: 28.4°C at Phoenix Park on June 21st
    2016: 30.4°C at Mount Dillon on July 19th
    2015: 26.1°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on June 30th
    2014: 28.8°C at Durrow on July 25th
    2013: 31.0°C at Dooks on July 19th
    2012: 28.3°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) on May 25th
    2011: 26.0°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) & Athy (Chanterlands) on June 3rd
    2010: 27.1°C at Elphin on May 22nd and Ardee (Boharnamoe) on May 23rd
    2009: 28.6°C at Galway (University College) on June 2nd
    2008: 25.9°C at Ardtamon on July 27th and Cork (Clover Hill) on July 28th
    2007: 27.0°C at Dooks on June 9th and Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 11th
    2006: 32.3°C at Elphin on July 19th
    2005: 30.3°C at Kildalton on July 12th
    2004: 27.3°C at Birr on August 1st
    2003: 30.4°C at Boora on August 8th
    2002: 26.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on August 5th
    2001: 28.4°C at Ardee (Boharnamoe) on July 28th
    2000: 28.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 18th
    1999: 28.0°C at Warrenstown and Athy (Chanterlands) on July 9th
    1998: 26.7°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 8th
    1997: 28.4°C at Ardfert on May 31st
    1996: 27.0°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) and Shannon Airport on June 16th, Kilfinnane Education Centre and Killarney (Muckross Hse.) on June 17th
    1995: 30.8°C at Kilkenny on August 2nd
    1994: 26.8°C at Portlaoise (Coolnamona) on August 1st
    1993: 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1992: 27.3°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1991: 28.4°C at Cahirciveen on September 5th
    1990: 31.0°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on August 2nd
    1989: 30.5°C at Lanesboro (Doire Dharog) on July 19th
    1988: 26.0°C at Dungarvan (Carriglea) on June 23rd
    1987: 29.0°C at Waterford Airport on July 5th
    1986: 27.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 27th
    1985: 25.1°C at Dublin (Merrion Square) on July 2nd & September 30th
    1984: 27.9°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on July 27th
    1983: 32.2°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on July 14th
    1982: 27.0°C at Glencolumbkille (Drimroe) on June 4th
    1981: 26.2°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 25th
    1980: 26.5°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on August 20th
    1979: 25.8°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 16th & 17th, Ballybrittas on July 27th and Dublin (Glasnevin) on July 28th
    1978: 26.5°C at Boora on May 31st
    1977: 28.7°C at Ballybrittas on July 7th
    1976: 32.5°C at Boora on June 29th
    1975: 31.5°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1974: 28.0°C at Thurles (Sugar Factory) on August 25th
    1973: 28.7°C at Boora on August 15th
    1972: 28.7°C at Killarney (St. Finans Hosp.) on July 19th
    1971: 26.9°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 8th
    1970: 27.9°C at Warrenstown on June 10th
    1969: 29.6°C at Fermoy (Moore Park) on July 15th
    1968: 26.6°C at Tuam (Airglooney) on June 12th
    1967: 26.4°C at Ballybrittas on June 17th
    1966: 26.2°C at Ballincurra on July 22nd
    1965: 25.2°C at Ballybrittas on June 29th
    1964: 26.0°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1963: 26.8°C at Dublin (Rathfarnham Castle) on July 30th
    1962: 25.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 8th
    1961: 28.4°C at Gurteen (Agr. Coll.) on September 1st

    Data comes from Met Éireann.

    Apparently Mullingar recorded 28.0°C in June 1970 but couldn't find the date though, possibly 10th?

    1995: 31.5°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on August 2nd
    1985: 25.6°C at Casement on July 4th

    Do you have a list of lowest yearly minima?


  • #2


    I used to have a database with all the historical station data (just wrote a fairly simple script that cycled through and downloaded the csv for each station) but my old laptop packed it in so I lost it all. Might give it another go as it was interesting to play around with the data


  • #2


    I have had a look at some of the historical data for Valentia and their highest temperature of 1954 was less than 70°F and was on 7th October!
    Contrast this with 1955 when their highest ever temperature of 29.8°C was reached on 24th August.
    The temperature measurement unit switched from Fahrenheit to Celsius in 1961 for the UK (although the majority of stations probably used Fahrenheit until about 1970), when did Ireland switch units?


  • #2


    pk18 wrote: »
    Apparently Mullingar recorded 28.0°C in June 1970 but couldn't find the date though, possibly 10th?

    1995: 31.5°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on August 2nd
    1985: 25.6°C at Casement on July 4th

    Do you have a list of lowest yearly minima?

    Yes but I can't seem to find original post so here they are again - with some edits because of research since then.

    2019: -5.8°C at Dublin Airport on January 31st
    2018: -9.7°C at Durrow on February 28th
    2017: -6.6°C at Casement Aerodrome & Horseleap on December 11th
    2016: -7.3°C at Markree Castle on November 25th
    2015: -7.9°C at Dublin Airport on February 3rd
    2014: -7.5°C at Thomastown on December 29th
    2013: -7.6°C at Markree Castle on March 12th
    2012: -6.7°C at Thomastown on February 2nd & Carrickmacross on February 3rd
    2011: -8.4°C at Markree Castle on January 7th
    2010: -17.5°C at Straide on December 25th
    2009: -11.1°C at Boyle (Lowpark) on December 25th
    2008: -7.8°C at Derrygreenagh on January 4th
    2007: -8.0°C at Cavan on February 7th
    2006: -8.6°C at Straide on March 3rd
    2005: -5.6°C at Casement Aerodrome on March 3rd
    2004: -7.7°C at Kilkenny on January 29th
    2003: -6.3°C at Ardee on January 11th
    2002: -9.4°C at Ballinamore on January 1st
    2001: -9.0°C at Casement Aerodrome on March 1st
    2000: -14.0°C at Straide on December 29th
    1999: -6.7°C at Clones on January 11th
    1998: -5.5°C at Casement Aerodrome on April 10th
    1997: -6.8°C at Valentia Observatory on January 3rd
    1996: -5.9°C at Casement Aerodrome on December 6th
    1995: -13.3°C at Letterkenny (Magherenan) on December 28th
    1994: -6.4°C at Birr on February 16th
    1993: -7.4°C at Ardee on December 26th
    1992: -8.3°C at Casement Aerodrome on December 20th
    1991: -13.0°C at Gowran Grange on February 10th
    1990: -5.4°C at Birr on November 28th & Clones on November 29th
    1989: -7.0°C at Kilkenny on November 27th & Birr on December 1st
    1988: -6.9°C at Birr on November 21st & Mullingar on November 24th
    1987: -9.2°C at Mooncoin on January 13th
    1986: -6.9°C at Casement Aerodrome on February 21st
    1985: -9.5°C at Ballinrobe on January 18th
    1984: -10.0°C at Clones on January 19th/20th
    1983: -6.0°C at Glencolmkille on December 10th
    1982: -14.6°C at Birr on January 12th
    1981: -12.4°C at Mullingar on December 12th
    1980: -8.0°C at Ardee on January 2nd
    1979: -18.8°C at Lullymore on January 2nd
    1978: -10.0°C at Glenties on February 13th
    1977: -9.0°C at Dunsany on January 13th
    1976: -7.6°C at Valentia Observatory on December 28th
    1975: -5.7°C at Glenamoy on March 20th
    1974: -6.6°C at Ballinrobe on November 18th
    1973: -9.3°C at Ardee on February 16th
    1972: -13.1°C at Ardee on January 31st
    1971: -7.2°C at Mallow on January 4th

    I also did 1910-1940 in case you missed that whilst scrolling through the thread. These have been converted to Celsius from Fahrenheit however.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Annual Ireland maximum and minimum temperatures for 1910-1940, using UK Met Office monthly weather reports.

    Maximum temperatures

    1910: 26.1c at Limerick (Mungret College), Birr Castle and Killarney on July 14th
    1911: 31.1c at Killarney on July 13th
    1912: 24.4c at Roches Point on July 15th/16th
    1913: 26.7c at Wexford on August 14th/Waterford Trg. Coll. on August 15th
    1914: 27.2c at Mountmellick on July 11th/Kilkenny on July 21st
    1915: 25.6c at Killarney on June 22nd
    1916: 29.4c at Killarney on August 6th
    1917: 26.1c at Glasnevin on July 13th
    1918: 28.9c at Killarney on June 1st/2nd
    1919: 27.2c at Carrick-on-Suir on August 14th
    1920: 25.0c at Birr Castle on May 25th
    1921: 32.2c at Killarney on July 12th
    1922: 27.8c at Killarney on May 30th/Foynes & Glasnevin on May 31st
    1923: 30.0c at Waterford (Gortmore) on July 12th
    1924: 23.9c at Dublin City on July 15th
    1925: 30.0c at Killarney on June 9th
    1926: 29.4c at Mountmellick, Kilkenny & Killarney on July 14th
    1927: 26.7c at Mountmellick on May 7th
    1928: 28.3c at Killarney on July 22nd
    1929: 27.2c at Kilkenny, Foynes and Mountmellick on July 14th (also July 15th at Foynes)
    1930: 27.2c at Newcastle on August 27th
    1931: 25.6c at Foynes on August 5th
    1932: 27.2c at Newcastle on July 9th
    1933: 30.0c at Kilkenny on July 4th
    1934: 32.2c at Foynes on July 9th
    1935: 27.2c at Newcastle on July 13th
    1936: 26.7c at Glasnevin & Hazelhatch on August 29th/Cork on August 31st
    1937: 27.8c at Hazelhatch on August 2nd
    1938: 25.6c at Birr Castle & Foynes on August 3rd
    1939: 28.9c at Carrick-on-Suir & Cork on June 6th
    1940: 28.9c at Glasnevin & Trinity College on August 9th/Birr Castle & Rathfarnham on June 8th

    Minimum temperatures

    1910: -13.9c at Markree Castle on January 7th
    1911: -10.6c at Markree Castle on February 1st
    1912: -11.7c at Limerick (Mungret College) on February 3rd
    1913: -10.0c at Clongowes Wood College on January 13th/14th
    1914: -10.0c at Markree Castle on December 24th
    1915: -9.4c at Phoenix Park on January 25th
    1916: -7.8c at Phoenix Park on December 27th/Markree Castle on March 4th/Cahir on December 16th & 17th
    1917: -15.0c at Clongowes Wood College on February 6th
    1918: -7.8c at Limerick (Mungret College) on January 9th
    1919: -11.1c at Markree Castle on November 14th
    1920: -8.9c at Cahir on December 16th
    1921: -6.7c at Baldonnel on March 7th
    1922: -6.1c at Phoenix Park on April 2nd
    1923: -8.3c at Kilkenny on November 25th
    1924: -7.8c at Markree Castle on January 11th
    1925: -8.9c at Markree Castle & Phoenix Park on December 23rd
    1926: -8.3c at Markree Castle on October 31st
    1927: -6.7c at Markree Castle on November 13th & 20th/Mountmellick on December 31st/Phoenix Park on February 13th
    1928: -10.0c at Mountmellick on March 13th/14th
    1929: -13.9c at Markree Castle on January 1st
    1930: -8.3c at Markree Castle on February 10th
    1931: -7.8c at Hazelhatch on March 10th
    1932: -7.8c at Markree Castle on February 19th
    1933: -7.8c at Kilkenny on January 26th
    1934: -6.7c at Birr Castle & Hazelhatch on February 27th
    1935: -11.1c at Markree Castle on December 23rd
    1936: -7.2c at Glasnevin & Phoenix Park on January 13th
    1937: -7.2c at Markree Castle on December 9th/Birr Castle on December 8th
    1938: -11.1c at Markree Castle on December 20th
    1939: -11.1c at Markree Castle on January 5th
    1940: -11.7c at Markree Castle & Glasnevin on January 17th (also January 18th at Glasnevin)

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    Last posted an update to the Irish heatwaves record I compiled (Irish heatwave is defined as 5 consecutive days with a max temperature of 25.0C or more at a station according to Met Éireann) two years ago. I have only found two more heatwaves since that update, those of July 1921 and July 1934 that I have done historical posts on.

    I have attached the file with the record including those two added to it. Whilst doing it originally with the digitised data was tedious enough, looking through old UK Met Office daily weather reports was a different kettle of fish of tediousness and then having to convert Fahrenheit values into Celsius too.

    Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

    Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphotography.com/



  • #2


    I believe you try very hard but simply I do not believe those numbers, highs or lows.

    Temperatures over 35c here in the midwest in the summer 18 without a doubt. Lahinch on June 31st according to the public temp gauge display read 38c. I was there and it was the hottest place I had been since I was in Seville in August a few years ago.

    Cavan recorded -19c in the that very cold 3 week snap we had a decade ago. I recorded -16 here myself in the suburbs of Limerick in that cold spell. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

    I don't think those lists give an accurate reflection or are overall definitive figures to suggest with any certainty that they are correct and truly accepted. I don't think they stand up. There simply are not enough weather stations.


  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Last posted an update to the Irish heatwaves record I compiled (Irish heatwave is defined as 5 consecutive days with a max temperature of 25.0C or more at a station according to Met Éireann) two years ago. I have only found two more heatwaves since that update, those of July 1921 and July 1934 that I have done historical posts on.

    I have attached the file with the record including those two added to it. Whilst doing it originally with the digitised data was tedious enough, looking through old UK Met Office daily weather reports was a different kettle of fish of tediousness and then having to convert Fahrenheit values into Celsius too.


    Not surprised to see the 1960s not feature in that list, but even the cool summer of 1972 appears 11 times whereas 2003 only appears 10 times. I would be interested to find the highest maxima and lowest minima from 1941 to 1960 somewhere. 1947 and 1955 may feature more with other stations. I noticed 1959 appears once and was in September, the highest I aware of for Ireland in 1959 is 26.7C at Valentia on September 12th. Predictably most are in June, July and August but there are two entries for May 2012 and one for September 1991. I am surprised that August 1975 or August 1990 do not feature considering that 30C was recorded.

    Regarding 1972, I find it bizarre that Killarney (Muckross Hse.) had a maximum of 25.7C but Killarney (St. Finans Hosp.) had a maximum of 28.7C, a 3C difference.

    As I expected, 1976 and 1995 dominate the list but I'm surprised how easily 1995 beat 1976. 1995 appears 102 times compared to 62 for 1976. Also appering frquently is 2013 with 33 entries, 1983 with 31, 2006 with 29, 2018 with 28 and 1989 with 24.


  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ireland's all-time minimum temperatures for each month of the year

    January: -19.1c at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on the 16th in 1881

    February: -17.8c at Mostrim, Co. Longford on the 7th in 1895

    March: -17.2c at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on the 3rd in 1947

    April: -7.7c at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on the 15th in 1892

    May: -5.6c at Phoenix Park, Co. Dublin on the 4th in 1945 & Glenties, Co. Donegal on the 4th in 1979

    June: -3.3c at Clonsast, Co. Offaly on the 1st in 1962

    July: -0.3c at Mostrim, Co. Longford on the 8th in 1889

    August: -2.7c at Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow on the 30th in 1964

    September: -3.0c at Hospital, Co. Limerick on the 19th in 1986

    October: -8.3c at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on the 31st in 1926

    November: -11.5c at Clonroche, Co. Wexford on the 29th in 2010

    December: -17.5c at Straide, Co. Mayo on the 25th in 2010

    Originally sourced from

    http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/extreme-mintemps.pdf

    According to met Eireann historical data -8.8c was recorded at Ballybrittas on 2nd April 1969. I assume this is incorrect.


  • #2


    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thanks to Donegal Storm giving me an excel file of many Irish stations' every 25.0c+ day since their records began. It has allowed me further to compile my list that I made ages ago of the highest absolute maximum temperature in Ireland for every year as far back as possible. Using this file, I have been able to go back to 1961. I cannot guarantee that these are the highest of some of the years but they're the highest out of the file. If any higher maximums are found, it will be updated. I have also updated some of the years that I had previously on the list because I discovered higher maximum temperatures than what MÉ's weather bulletins have showed in that file.

    Been busy doing this and also updating the Irish heatwaves excel file with more stations.

    2018: 32.0°C at Shannon Airport on June 28th
    2017: 28.4°C at Phoenix Park on June 21st
    2016: 30.4°C at Mount Dillon on July 19th
    2015: 26.1°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on June 30th
    2014: 28.8°C at Durrow on July 25th
    2013: 31.0°C at Dooks on July 19th
    2012: 28.3°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) on May 25th
    2011: 26.0°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) & Athy (Chanterlands) on June 3rd
    2010: 27.1°C at Elphin on May 22nd and Ardee (Boharnamoe) on May 23rd
    2009: 28.6°C at Galway (University College) on June 2nd
    2008: 25.9°C at Ardtamon on July 27th and Cork (Clover Hill) on July 28th
    2007: 27.0°C at Dooks on June 9th and Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 11th
    2006: 32.3°C at Elphin on July 19th
    2005: 30.3°C at Kildalton on July 12th
    2004: 27.3°C at Birr on August 1st
    2003: 30.4°C at Boora on August 8th
    2002: 26.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on August 5th
    2001: 28.4°C at Ardee (Boharnamoe) on July 28th
    2000: 28.5°C at Cavan (Drumconnick) on June 18th
    1999: 28.0°C at Warrenstown and Athy (Chanterlands) on July 9th
    1998: 26.7°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 8th
    1997: 28.4°C at Ardfert on May 31st
    1996: 27.0°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) and Shannon Airport on June 16th, Kilfinnane Education Centre and Killarney (Muckross Hse.) on June 17th
    1995: 30.8°C at Kilkenny on August 2nd
    1994: 26.8°C at Portlaoise (Coolnamona) on August 1st
    1993: 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1992: 27.3°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th
    1991: 28.4°C at Cahirciveen on September 5th
    1990: 31.0°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on August 2nd
    1989: 30.5°C at Lanesboro (Doire Dharog) on July 19th
    1988: 26.0°C at Dungarvan (Carriglea) on June 23rd
    1987: 29.0°C at Waterford Airport on July 5th
    1986: 27.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 27th
    1985: 25.1°C at Dublin (Merrion Square) on July 2nd & September 30th
    1984: 27.9°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on July 27th
    1983: 32.2°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on July 14th
    1982: 27.0°C at Glencolumbkille (Drimroe) on June 4th
    1981: 26.2°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on August 25th
    1980: 26.5°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on August 20th
    1979: 25.8°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 16th & 17th, Ballybrittas on July 27th and Dublin (Glasnevin) on July 28th
    1978: 26.5°C at Boora on May 31st
    1977: 28.7°C at Ballybrittas on July 7th
    1976: 32.5°C at Boora on June 29th
    1975: 31.5°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1974: 28.0°C at Thurles (Sugar Factory) on August 25th
    1973: 28.7°C at Boora on August 15th
    1972: 28.7°C at Killarney (St. Finans Hosp.) on July 19th
    1971: 26.9°C at Enniscorthy (Voc. Sch.) on July 8th
    1970: 27.9°C at Warrenstown on June 10th
    1969: 29.6°C at Fermoy (Moore Park) on July 15th
    1968: 26.6°C at Tuam (Airglooney) on June 12th
    1967: 26.4°C at Ballybrittas on June 17th
    1966: 26.2°C at Ballincurra on July 22nd
    1965: 25.2°C at Ballybrittas on June 29th
    1964: 26.0°C at Ballybrittas on August 3rd
    1963: 26.8°C at Dublin (Rathfarnham Castle) on July 30th
    1962: 25.0°C at Clonsast (Bord na Móna) on June 8th
    1961: 28.4°C at Gurteen (Agr. Coll.) on September 1st

    Data comes from Met Éireann.


    I have checked stations from MÉ's historical database for maximum temperatures above 25°C and minimum temperatures below -5°C to find the highest maximums and lowest minimums for each year. In most cases they are the same, but I have found some higher temperatures:
    2019: 29.8°C at Ardfert (Liscahane) on June 27th
    2017: 28.6°C at Phoenix Park on June 21st
    2008: 25.9°C at Ardtamon on July 28th and Cork (Clover Hill) on August 28th
    2004: 28.2°C at Adare Manor on August 2nd (also 27.6°C at Edenderry (Ballinla) on August 2nd, 27.5°C at Cahore (Kilmichael House) on June 14th and at Athy (Chanterlands) on August 2nd, 27.3°C at Birr or August 2nd)
    1999: 28.0°C at Warrenstown and Athy (Chanterlands) on July 9th, at Craggaunowen on July 31st
    1995: 31.5°C at Carlow (Oak Park) on August 2nd
    1993: 26.1°C at Boora on June 28th (I am a bit suspicious of 28.6°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th and other readings at this station, 9 days above 25°C at this station this year, although Ballinacurra No 2 shows as recording 27.6°C on June 27th but the next highest on this date is 25.5°C at Dunsany (Grange). Cork (Clover Hill) also shows as recording 26.6°C on July 3rd and 26.2°C on July 22nd, the Boora figure looks the most reliable.
    1992: 26.5°C at Derrygreenagh on June 29th (I am a bit suspicious of 27.3°C at Cork (Clover Hill) on June 27th too, next highest on June 27th was 25.2°C at Rathluirc (For.Stn.). See further details for maxima during this period at Cork (Clover Hill) below.
    1987: 27.3°C at Dublin (Phoenix Park) on August 16th (I am suspicious of the 1987 maxima at Waterford Airport of 29.0°C on July 5th and 28.8°C on July 6th. Next highest on 5th was 26.9°C at Dublin (Phoenix Park) and on 6th 25.2°C at Navan (Tara Mines), while on August 16th Glasnevin and Merrion Square both recorded 26.9°C at Dublin (Phoenix Park) and Dublin Airport recorded 26.6°C.
    1985: 25.9°C at Valentia Observatory on September 28th (also 25.6°C at Casement on July 4th)
    1982: 27.0°C at Glencolumbkille (Drimroe) on June 4th and Kilkenny on August 3rd
    1974: 26.5°C at Ballyvaughan on June 21st (not including 28.0°C at Thurles (Sugar Factory) on August 25th

    Also some Winter maxima in 1992 and 1993 at Cork (Clover Hill) look extremely high. In 1992, Cork (Clover Hill) also shows as recording 16.7°C on January 5th and 6 days above 17°C in February 1992, 3 days above 21°C in March, 6 days above 18°C in November and 19°C on December 13th 1992. In 1993 the station shows as recording 19.0°C on January 17th, 18.0°C on January 2nd, 17.8°C on January 28th, 17.5°C on January 19th, 17.9°C on February 12th, 17.5°C on February 9th, 17.4°C on February 3rd and 17.0°C on February 7th, 18.8°C on December 18th, 17.5°C on December 2nd and 17.4°C on December 17th


Society & Culture