Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godzilla King of the Monsters (Sequel)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

p to the e wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in the cinema yesterday. This looks and sounds amazing. This will be an IMAX job.

I NEED to see the new trailer on the IMAX screen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The trailer for this was shown before Shazam on the IMAX this evening! What a spectacle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Looking forward to Rodan's suicidal charge against Ghidorah ... and presumably Mothra getting some semblence of revenge. It looks to be filling the spectacular meter rather nicely, this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A final trailer just dropped; looks like they've really rammed up the Kaiju action to 11, and thankfully the human characters appear potentially more interesting this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The CGI looks very poor ,had expected better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

seems very crowded

Japanse Trailer!

Feels like it's really trying to clarify things for anyone who might have thought this about any character other than Godzilla :)

Two songs from the soundtrack released in advance.

Composer Bear McCreary got nominated for awards for the soundtrack to the computer game God of War. I'm not very familiar with it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_McCreary

He also did a rake of episodes for Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Constantine and Outlander:

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Two songs from the soundtrack released in advance.

Composer Bear McCreary got nominated for awards for the soundtrack to the computer game God of War. I'm not very familiar with it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_McCreary

He also did a rake of episodes for Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Constantine and Outlander:

McCreary is a very talented guy ,his work on Battlestar Galactica was superb.
    Should do a good job on Godzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

This is getting a bit of a kicking from the critics already.

Is that a good sign or bad sign for a Godzilla film.

Critics didn't seem pushed on the first one either if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Ah well....still looking forward to it immensely in spite of the reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Stopped reading that anyway, don't want to know what the plot is like they're explaining even if it's shat. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Monsters are good but the human characters are dull is what I’m getting from the reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

brevity wrote: »
    Monsters are good but the human characters are dull is what I’m getting from the reviews.

So, it's like the one from 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, although Brian Cranston was great in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

brevity wrote: »
    Yea, although Brian Cranston was great in that.

For about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This sounds like a dumb fun movie with the fun removed.

Will still be waiting for home viewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The human stories were always garbage in the Toho films too, the only difference being the studio knew what films they were making & leaned just enough into the farce of it all. The 2014 felt like it was moderately embarrassed to be a Godzilla film (ala those early 2000s superhero films that did everything to distance themselves from the source material), padding it out with terrible, self-serious human 'characters'.

I did like the sense of scale from Garth Edwards films; I get that's not the main appeal of the Kaiju genre but I applauded making the Godzilla attack feel properly huge & disorientating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like the last trailer is better then the film. Will probably still go to see it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

guardian (not Bradshaw!) giving it a hammering as well - all the moments that are worth seeing are in the trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Disappointed with the polarising reviews but i'll still check this out in the cinema. I loved the 2014 one and i think holding the big G back worked for me and the sense of scale was brilliant.

I'm not going to see this for the human characters and i find empire can be a little up its own ar$e at times with some reviews. The balance of reviews i've seen seem to boil down to
    - the Kaiju are great
    - the humans are rubbish
    and story doesn't really make sense but dammit i'm here to see monsters fighting so that'll do me :-)

OK! RIGHT! No, YEAH, OK!

This film does not really have a story.

THERE ARE BIG EPIC FIGHTS!

In fairness.. The soundtrack is really good.

So yeah, don't go to this film with yer thinking cap on.

Also throughout the film they are constructing a wider universe and there is a post credits scene which I assume links into it.
    So either he's gonna grow Ghidorah back from the head or clone Ghidorah or some something crazy with Ghidorah

To give the cast a fair go.. I guess where the people story didn't let them down, there were moments of good performances out of:
    • Standout: Ken Watanabe
      some great one lines, what a way to go and he put real emotion into it.
    • Vera Farmiga
      like she seemed to be trying
    • Millie Bobby Brown
      got some emotion out for display
    • Charles Dance - Tywin Lannister! :D
      lite

Criminal underuse of Sally Hawkins and David Strathairn (still Admiral William Stenz from the first film)

Oh and the BIG EPIC FIGHTS are pretty cool on a big screen. Might not be on a smaller screen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just back from it and it was exhausting!

The fights were pretty epic and the humans just background noise to the battles going on front and centre.

Monster fights all seem to be determined to take place at night time, for some reason

The scene
    at the end
    where Godzilla
    just plain blows up Ghidorah to death
    was really cool.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Slydice wrote: »
    The scene on the swing where Godzilla falls off because he's holding two drinks was really cool.
    Yeah, it was great, but that swing should have been supervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It really feels more like the director/producers/studio are trolling instead of wanting to make a good movie. Way way way too much emphasis on the human characters in these movies, the bit when
    Godzilla & Ghidorah run/fly at each other for the final big battle only for the plane full of stock human characters to literally fly right in front of the camera blocking the fight
    was just laughable and I don't see how that wasn't intentionally intended to be. How would anyone think that was a good idea I'll never know. Unfortunately that kind of thing happened way too much in this movie, also it was difficult at times to even know who was fighting who possibly due in part to this new thing of giving "indie" directors these big franchises, sometimes it has worked (Planet of the Apes) but mostly it hasn't from what I've seen. And Hollywood being Hollywood means they are clearly setting this up to go longer than Kong v Godzilla which means more shít like this. Seriously, just lose 30 minutes from the runtime and just show us some monsters fighting or change the name of the movie to "Stock humans with monsters in the background".

Also Godzilla just looks like a curmudgeonly old man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Dreadful film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Yeh, this wasn't good at all. I really wanted to like it but the script is absolute nonsense. I can normally ignore some poor dialogue but this was another level.

Did I imagine that someone said "get to the chopper" at some point?

I was there with 2 kids (6 and 10) and even they were struggling.

I'm kinda astonished as to what a mess the final product is. The budget must have been enormous and while there are some nicely framed (cgi) shots, I still found most of the fights unsatisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What a terrible movie. Felt like it was never going to end. I nodded off for a good 5 or 10 minutes at one stage.

We use our Cineworld card at least once per week at this trash is up there with the worst movies I've ever seen since becoming a Cineworld member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved it , the human characters were terrible for the most parts , but i came to see Godzilla fight things and fight them he did

I loved it , the human characters were terrible for the most parts , but i came to see Godzilla fight things and fight them he did

Same here, humans were tedious at times but I couldn't help but smile watching King Ghidorah and Godzilla take their intimidation stances before throwing down. Mothra was fantastic as well.

Worth the trip for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Use to watch all the old toho films as a kid at my grandfathers and seeing King Ghidorah , Mothra and Rodan all on the big screen in the same movie no less was something else, couldn't give a bollix about Vera Famiga's family issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It wasn't bad. I expected worse. Maybe 20 minutes too long. The story was a bit crap too.

Millie Bobby Brown has a real presence. Probably the best acting out of the humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

For anyone that has seen this how does it compare to the 2014 film? I quite enjoyed that one - except for Aaron Taylor Johnson. Does Godzilla have the same kind of weight in this as the 2014 version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just seen it.
    I went to see a film about monsters fighting each other, not to experience a great plot or marvel at the acting from the humans.
    And in that sense, it was good, some nice huge fights to tick the boxes for me.

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    For anyone that has seen this how does it compare to the 2014 film? I quite enjoyed that one - except for Aaron Taylor Johnson. Does Godzilla have the same kind of weight in this as the 2014 version?

2014 had the better story at the cost of not enough action which didn't go down well seemingly. They've swapped it around here but it just about worked for me. If you enjoyed Ken Watanbe in the first you'll enjoy him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Same here, humans were tedious at times but I couldn't help but smile watching King Ghidorah and Godzilla take their intimidation stances before throwing down. Mothra was fantastic as well.

Worth the trip for me anyway.

Cheesy dialogue, wooden characters, , predictable wafer thin plot, basic script prob written in 10 Minutes and the story could prob be written by a 10 Year old. If you went to this movie looking to find the opposite of above , take out a glove and slap yourself on the face.

This was pure visual stimulation and some of the fights were jaw dropping. This gets an 8 or even 9 out of 10 for what I expected. When I think of the Meg and this I think this is Oscar worthy. And that’s the sort of mindless blockbuster this should be benchmarked against.

I hope this does well so I can look forward to another 2 hour switch your brain off sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just home from the cinema and man my desire for destruction and bad ass monsters fighting has been quenched.

I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh by the way great to hear Blue Oyster Cult Godzilla tune at the end (even though it's only a cover)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone find a good clip of the credits and post credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Cheesy dialogue, wooden characters, , predictable wafer thin plot, basic script prob written in 10 Minutes and the story could prob be written by a 10 Year old. If you went to this movie looking to find the opposite of above , take out a glove and slap yourself on the face.

This was pure visual stimulation and some of the fights were jaw dropping. This gets an 8 or even 9 out of 10 for what I expected. When I think of the Meg and this I think this is Oscar worthy. And that’s the sort of mindless blockbuster this should be benchmarked against.

I hope this does well so I can look forward to another 2 hour switch your brain off sequel.

Godzilla vs Kong already in post production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Due out early enough next year I believe.
    Plus there's the implications of the post credit scene as well.

Moar chubzilla please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh I saw that, prob should of clarified I’m thinking more from a justice league league point of view where BvS didn’t do great , the studio panicked and made awful changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What was the post credits scene? I didn't stay for it.

Just back from it and really enjoyed it. One or two bits I either didn't like or didn't make sense to me and a couple of the human characters were just plain annoying but overall I thought it was great! Godzilla himself is a badass - I love his look. Roll on the next one!

sonic85 wrote: »
    What was the post credits scene? I didn't stay for it.

Post Credits Scene:
    Alright, it's yer man from Game of Thrones (Charles Dance), Colonel Alan Jonah is being walked through the corridors of a warehouse/building by some dude in Mexico. He's all talking to him about getting stuff on the black market and how Godzilla became King (of the Monsters).

Then they walk into a bigger room and it's one of the Ghidorah heads.

That's it. End.

Anyway.. So you gotta remember back to the first Godzilla battle with Ghidorah. Godzilla bit off one of Ghidorahs three heads but didn't eat it like in the final battle.

I posted earlier that my guess is either he's gonna grow Ghidorah back from the head or clone Ghidorah or some something crazy with Ghidorah

During the Credits:
    There's not so much a scene. If I remember correctly, there's a lot of SKULL ISLAND this, SKULL ISLAND that...

so like *hint hint* SKULL ISLAND

as in... King Kongs Island.. Skull Island

so in Universe Building, this jumps out as a pointer to the Godzilla vs. Kong film that is due next year...

and you know what... it's already made so it'll get released regardless of how badly this film flops because of the low quality people story pegged onto it.

I presume that Godzilla wont actually be fighting Kong as it would be a fairly one sided fight.
    Godzilla is 400ft ,Kong is 100ft and Godzilla has his atomic breath.
    Kong would have no chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement