Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers to be recognised as an ethnicicity tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Brian? wrote: »
    That's delusional. There are no ethnic minority quotas in Ireland for Christ sake.

Travellers are an ethnic minority. Big ****ing whoop. Why do people care so much?

This is AH.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Corkonians will be next

Racist.

I care because this may give some of the most dangerous people in Ireland even more leeway than they have already

How exactly?

Will they be immune from prosecution?

What's the connection between your perception of them as "dangerous people" and recognition as an ethnic group?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That's delusional. There are no ethnic minority quotas in Ireland for Christ sake.

Travellers are an ethnic minority. Big ****ing whoop. Why do people care so much?

None of the other actual ethnic minorities are of Irish Origin though. These are a different. There is absolutly no doubt that they will bring in some sort of quotas for Travellers.

Look what happened to the BBC??? and RTE are going down that route too. That John Connors nutter has a new programme nearly every month. It will happen, wait and you see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I care because this may give some of the most dangerous people in Ireland even more leeway than they have already

It won't give anyone any leeway. Have some sense.

I'm not even getting into the blatant bigotry here. I'm sticking to the logical fallacy that an ethnic minority will get special treatment. They won't. They're getting recognised as an ethnic minority, end of story.

Jesus wept, some people will find any excuse to be outraged. And it's the left who get grief.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Before the good-doers get on board, here's a verifiable fact from cso and prison service.

Travellers represent LESS THAN 0.5% of the population.

They represent 14% of the adult male prison population.

They represent 21% of the adult female prison population.

Look what happened to the BBC??? and RTE are going down that route too. That John Connors nutter has a new programme nearly every month. It will happen, wait and you see.

Hands up, this is a new one on me.

Is the BBC now rammed with travellers? Trying to think of any shows they present.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

None of the other actual ethnic minorities are of Irish Origin though. These are a different. There is absolutly no doubt that they will bring in some sort of quotas for Travellers.

What are you on about? There will not be quotas for ethnic minorities. Ever.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Delacent wrote: »
    Before the good-doers get on board, here's a verifiable fact from cso and prison service.

It is true that they face certain issues, like black people in the States they have higher crime rates and form a greater portion of the prison population. But in the States they don't conclude that "thus, black people are bad". Poverty, discrimination and deprivation may be factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Donal55 wrote: »
    Racist.

That they are. All of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's about time. They are nothing like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

It is true that they face certain issues, like black people in the States they have higher crime rates and form a greater portion of the prison population. But in the States they don't conclude that "thus, black people are bad". Poverty, discrimination and deprivation may be factors.

You haven't had many dealings with them, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I don't mean to be persnickety (nor do I disagree), but can you cite the sources on these figures?

What are you on about? There will not be quotas for ethnic minorities. Ever.

The idea has already been muted by a minister at the time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0616/132277-travellers/

They will do it in state bodies first and then it will move to private sector. It is a banker that it will happen eventually. It is already happening in Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

Except 99% of them bad, harassing innicents and robbing everything in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

They are all going to be released from the prisons under the Pancake Tuesday Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They should be recognised as a group who go around robbing and beating up old people, animal abusers, violent thugs, tax dodging, smelly inbred scum that they are.

Step up, Ladies and Gentlemen, step up! Place your bets! Will it be a mellow yellow or a dead red?!? Who knows!!! Lay down your wagers..... NOW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

JayZeus wrote: »
    Wrong.

Ethnicity and Race are not the same thing.

Travellers are most certainly an ethnic group.

You might not like it, but that's the truth.

I'm well aware of the classifications for ethnicity.

They speak the same language and have the same religion as Irish people. They're not regionally exclusive either. That said the UN's guidelines are very vague anyway and any group could realistically class themselves as an ethnic minority according to those.

The focus should be integrating them with their fellow Irish men and women. Not ring fencing them off encouraging their mostly negative behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Omackeral wrote: »
    Step up, Ladies and Gentlemen, step up! Place your bets! Will it be a mellow yellow or a dead red?!? Who knows!!! Lay down your wagers..... NOW!!!!

People have been banned for a lot less...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They will do it in state bodies first and then it will move to private sector. It is a banker that it will happen eventually. It is already happening in Britain.

I'm surprised they are interested in taking up paid employment, and actually paying taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

To be honest it won't help em. They've claimed for years its cause we're travellers you are at us anytime they are moved on, arrested, etc

End of the day it won't stop farmers firing shotguns after them when they are caught creeping around our farm yards in the middle of the night so fcuk em

JayZeus wrote: »
    Wrong.

Ethnicity and Race are not the same thing.

Travellers are most certainly an ethnic group.

You might not like it, but that's the truth.

This was debunked. They are Irish but kept their genepool within a certain group of families. This is their only difference. They are of no relation to Roma Gypsies or any other non-Irish grouping.

http://www.thejournal.ie/traveller-community-study-rcsi-3231070-Feb2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

So the government has the time to do this but they don't have the time to create legislation so a seriously ill child can access medicinal cannabis that will vastly improve her quality of life.What a time to be alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

me_irl wrote: »
    I don't mean to be persnickety (nor do I disagree), but can you cite the sources on these figures?

Sorry, my figures are wrong.

Its 15% of male prison population and 22% of female prison population.

Google "travellers in prison" and you'll get the figures.

http://www.ssgt.ie/travellers_in_prison.html

Not being very au fait with this subject but I'd say they'd have to meet at least the minimum educational requirements plus all the other qualifying criteria we see on Publicjobs.ie

Im sure if they have all the above plus pass the interview then they are entitled to the job.
    Would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rashersocks

Brian,

Are you simply naive or an apologist for travellers?

I'm as liberal as anyone could be but any interactions I have had with travellers has been negative. Anecdotal, perhaps, but I have yet to encounter anyone from Ireland with an opinion to the contrary.

Take a drive to to any halting site or purpose built accommodation for them and tell me it's money well spent. I will bet my house it looks look Aleppo. How much must be done for these people? Do they not have a responsibility to take up their end of the social contract?

Bigotry is usually baseless. Any flak travellers get is well earned by a rich history of law breaking and general mankiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You'll be replied to with black people in the US on this.

EDIT: You already were

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

Brian,

I'm as liberal as anyone could be but any interactions I have had with travellers has been negative. Anecdotal, perhaps, but I have yet to encounter anyone from Ireland with an opinion to the contrary.

Take a drive to to any halting site or purpose built accommodation for them and tell me it's money well spent. I will bet my house it looks look Aleppo. How much must be done for these people? Do they not have a responsibility to take up their end of the social contract?

Bigotry is usually baseless. Any flak travellers get is well earned by a rich history of law breaking and general mankiness.

Il fight you now boy, like i did yar father and his father before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rashersocks

I want to see my call out tape first. You junkies, junkies bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Brian,

I'm from Ireland and have had plenty of experiences with Travellers that aren't bad. Likewise I've been to and seen Traveller sites that are immaculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement