Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Glasson 18th March 11.00

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ballyk

All,

The final timesheet for Saturday is below. There is some small amount of rain forecast according to yr.no but hopefully that won't materialise.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday and to checking out yet another new venue for the Society. I need to doublecheck my figures but I think Glasson may be the 100th golf course I've played in Ireland! How many more do I need to play to catch up with Kevin Markham? :eek:

I also spoke to the club earlier and we will be off the yellow tees and it will be placing everywhere. Nearest the Pin will be on 15 and longest drive on 10. As there was no winner of nearest the pin last time please try and put the two nearest the pin distances on the marker so we have winners this time!

Time: | Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3 | Player 4
    11.00: | CharlieIRL | BigChap1759 | Alanm | CharlieIRL's guest
    11.10: | A Post Punk | paulos53 | The Big Easy | Spudmonkey
    11.20: | RoadRunner | doublecross | benny79 | benny79's guest
    11.30: | ThecHamp26 | Tigerwood1 | Macker1| 3putt
    11.40: | acalmenvoy | dylanmc30 | Break80 | ballyk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

searay wrote: »
    It's funny to read somebody else's guide to a course you know well.

A few more points might be helpful.

"The fourth doglegs left up the hill, not right". A drive up to left shortens the hole.

On 8, I'd hit driver to leave a shorter iron to the green. There is a pond left of the green that cones into play if you've a long iron in.

"The out of bounds Charlie mentions on 1,2, 11 and 13 are well out of the way. I don't think they neeed to be considered."

There are internal out of bounds in the dogleg left of 12 and right of 14 which can come into play if you try cut the corners.

I like 14. There is no advantage to cutting the corner as you are left with a sloping lie. A hybrid off the yellows or 3 wood off the whites straight down the middle is the shot.

Many of the holes are uphill or downhill, rarely flat and you need to factor that into club selection.

Enjoy your day.

Charlie giving out wrong details.... now that is just dirty tactics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ballyk, very late notice but I've had a major change of plans & am back home for the weekend.

Would it be too late notice to squeeze in for the outing?

I know it's very late in the day & slots might be all tied up, but would love it if it's possible to make it work.

Ballyk, very late notice but I've had a major change of plans & am back home for the weekend.

Would it be too late notice to squeeze in for the outing?

I know it's very late in the day & slots might be all tied up, but would love it if it's possible to make it work.

Welcome home.

I'm sure we can squeeze you in so come along in the morning and I'll get you out one way or the other. If I can't get another slot on the timesheet you can take my place as I am still injured from skiing and shouldn't really be playing.

ballyk wrote: »
    Welcome home.

I'm sure we can squeeze you in so come along in the morning and I'll get you out one way or the other. If I can't get another slot on the timesheet you can take my place as I am still injured from skiing and shouldn't really be playing.

Cheers ballyk. Will be great if you can find a slot thanks.

Don't want to deprive anyone of a round though

• Advertisement

Cheers ballyk. Will be great if you can find a slot thanks.

Don't want to deprive anyone of a round though

No worries at all. I'll speak to the club in the morning and find out about the extra slot but I really shouldn't be playing anyway so you won't be depriving anyone of a game. See you Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

ballyk wrote: »
    All,

The final timesheet for Saturday is below. There is some small amount of rain forecast according to yr.no but hopefully that won't materialise.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday and to checking out yet another new venue for the Society. I need to doublecheck my figures but I think Glasson may be the 100th golf course I've played in Ireland! How many more do I need to play to catch up with Kevin Markham? :eek:

I also spoke to the club earlier and we will be off the yellow tees and it will be placing everywhere. Nearest the Pin will be on 15 and longest drive on 10. As there was no winner of nearest the pin last time please try and put the two nearest the pin distances on the marker so we have winners this time!

Time: | Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3 | Player 4
    11.00: | CharlieIRL | BigChap1759 | Alanm | CharlieIRL's guest
    11.10: | A Post Punk | paulos53 | The Big Easy | Spudmonkey
    11.20: | RoadRunner | doublecross | benny79 | benny79's guest
    11.30: | ThecHamp26 | Tigerwood1 | Macker1| 3putt
    11.40: | acalmenvoy | dylanmc30 | Break80 | ballyk

Would it make sense for anyone on the green at NTP mark their distance just in case??

Would it make sense for anyone on the green at NTP mark their distance just in case??

Could argue the same for Long Drive (eg 5 yards short)?

Bit too broad a range of distances though maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Suggestion.... you might need more than 2 names on NTP & LD

anyone on the green who thinks they might have even the slimmest chance, measure up and stick your name down.

anyone with a half decent drive but short of the marker, use a tee peg to stick a bit of paper in the ground with your name on it.....and anyone ahead of the marker, mark the previous person as above before moving the marker.

just an idea, as I know the goal is to spread the prizes as much as possible

enjoy the day folks, raging i'll be missing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

NTP on 15, ohh that's cruel!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Lads, it has been lashing in Athlone all day and the course is likely to be very soft with no run.

I'd recommend you play off the yellows and have placing everywhere. On most holes there isn't a big difference and on the uphill holes you'll still have long shots into the greens.

The 15th, your choice for NTP is only 130 yards off the yellows but up to 185 yards from the whites so you might want to consider switching it.

Forecast is not too bad for tomorrow but everywhere is saturated here at the moment.

We'll be grand though!!

Ah sure that's golf in Ireland. We'll be grand

Quick summary of the results from today
    1st place Tigerwood1 38 points
    2nd place BigChap1759 37 points (on countback)
    3rd place 3putt 37 points (on countback)

Longest drive: doublecross
    Nearest the Pin: The Big Easy 1.9 metres
    2nd Nearest the Pin prize acalmenvoy

Nice one. The Tiger strikes again. I suppose he had pneumonia today or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    Nice one. The Tiger strikes again. I suppose he had pneumonia today or something?

Gonorrhoea I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Big thanks to ballyk who made the trip over but didn't play himself!

Captain Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Gonorrhoea I heard.

i'am sure you've spelled than one wrong road, but your wright i did leave a bit of a bad smell out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Well what can i say a great course with superb greens for this time of the year, a big thank you to my little girl who handed me a srixon ball on thursday telling me it was a " lucky ball daddy" well was she right when i chipped in on the 3rd for for a two, i think half the course heard my celebration cheer and then i managed to get some lucky bounces off trees on at least three drives only to finish the round with the same ball.
    I would also like to thank macker for his puttting advice on the par 5 6th helped me focus on the back nine :).
    The Champ was still recovering from paddys days celebrations so never really got in the mix but 3 putt was let down by his putting luckily i did'nt realise how close he was with 37 pts or i'am sure i would of bottled it:eek:.

Thanks to ballyk as roadrunner said for making a long journey without playing, hope your wrist injury gets better some captain.

• Advertisement

The course guide curse continues, had an absolute nightmare out there today.

Only 2 scratches (I think) but wayyyyy to many 3 putts. Nearly every bit of my game was terrible and I can only apologise to my playing partners, again, for my loss of temper !!!

Was wet here all week and unfortunately it showed in spots today, hit anything high and balls were plugging, even in the middle of fairways. It's a much better course during the summer, but then again, aren't they all when they are dry.

Had a few good holes, 4 pars is not good enough but the doubles killed my round.

Anyway, onwards and upwards towards Portarlington.

Thanks to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭a post punk

"The glasson experience " was great yesterday it's definitely on the must do list during the summer! I'm still way behind on the game but keeping the practice going ..... Good laugh afterwards aswell in the clubhouse.Welcome spudmonkey .....a new member playing with us yesterday,definitely 1 to watch for the Ryder jug standings! he hit some belters of drives :) and a great game to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Myself and Dylan had a great day playing with 2 gents in spacecoyote and breaks80. Glasson is obviously a top course.
    Congrats to Tigerwood, great score in those conditions.
    Spacecoyote recovered well from a bad start and played some lovely shots.
    Break80 is a very consistent player and was so unlucky on a couple of holes with mystery lost balls which probably cost him the win.
    Highlight for me was a 6 iron to the 120 yd 15th to 10 ft for birdie. (yes 6 iron :)
    Special thanks to captain Ballyk for organisation and commitment.
    Roll on Portarlington.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

"The glasson experience " was great yesterday it's definitely on the must do list during the summer! I'm still way behind on the game but keeping the practice going ..... Good laugh afterwards aswell in the clubhouse.Welcome spudmonkey .....a new member playing with us yesterday,definitely 1 to watch for the Ryder jug standings! he hit some belters of drives :) and a great game to follow.

Cheers Lads,

Great outing. Thanks a million to ballyk for organising it. I know a lot goes into it in the background.

Looking at the weather today wondering where on earth that was on Saturday!

Another successful boards day out. Thanks to El Capitane for squeezing me in at the last minute.

Played around with Break80 & the Father-son combo of Acalmenvoy & dylanmc30.

Was a long round of golf, we were about 5hrs 30mins out there, but the company was enjoyable, which helped pass the time. That length of time is definitely too long though. I think a push on 3-balls wherever possible should be aimed for going forwards.

A part of the delays was really down to how soft the ground was. Poor old Break80 suffered the worst from this. I've never seen a man lose as many golf balls that should have been in plain sight. It easily cost him probably 5/6 points over the course of the round, and was a cruel way to lose out on vital points. As Acalmenvoy mentioned earlier, Break80 is a very steady golfer, he did very little wrong throughout & kept his scorecard ticking over nicely.

Acalmenvoy hit a great ball in on the NTP & rolled his putt confidently into the middle of the hole. Is not the longest hitter, but another steady golfer, who's scorecard probably should have reflected a better total.

Dylanmc is new to the game, I think playing his 6th/7th round of golf ever. He seems to have a good attitude towards things & didn't let his bad holes get to him, which is a great place to be starting from. He hit a couple of cracking irons in when he got into his rhythm, & was a steady putter, a little firmer & a lot more putts would have dropped. As with everyone starting out, it'll take time.

As to me, I played some pretty decent golf, mixed in with some awful stuff. Made 2 really nice birdies (none for 2s, but both were on holes where I had a stroke, so I picked up 4 points for each of them). The holes that cost me weren't down to bad shots (mostly ;)), they were primarily down to bad decisions. I under-clubbed badly on 3/4 holes, and all of them were costly. Finished with 33 points & could very easily have been 4/5 points better and putt a bit of pressure of the winner.

The course has some lovely holes & some beautiful views out over the lakes at the elevated points. A pity about the wet & wind.

As to the winner...I think we need to start looking at implementing ESRs in the society. I never trusted that Tiger fella :D

Cheers again Captain for the commitment & for another great course choice.

See you all again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Where is the Points Table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Break80

Thanks lads. I had another great day with good company. I agree with spacecoyote regarding the length of time the rounds are taking. Maybe it might speed up when the ground gets a bit firmer. I found it a bit frustrating scratching holes from reasonable drives when the balls should have been above ground but hey thats winter golf. A combination of soft ground and rough that little bit too high slowed us up I felt.
    Thanks to Our Captain for all the work.
    I would love to tackle the last 2 courses we played again in the summer.

Points table is here, hopefully the link works. http://www.mygolfsociety.ie/index.php?page=golf_society.edit.top_golfers Mr. Consistency BigChap1759 is the early leader but there are a number of players hot on his heels

We will be aiming to get out in threeballs for the rest of the year assuming the clubs allow.

• Advertisement

I took some photos of the last few groups teeing off at the first on Saturday. I'll hold off on putting them up though in case we violate anybody's image rights! If anyone wants me to send on their pictures just let me know.

Advertisement