Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me your holiday plans for 2017. I might get some ideas!

Options
  • 27-02-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭

So where is everyone going this year?

Ireland, abroad, long haul or a mixture if you have the loot to do it!

I love to hear where people are going.

I do realise that not everyone can do this. but for those who can, off you go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Toying with a visit to the Black Forest area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

Heading to Flordia for 3 weeks in June 😂ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

You should have been a hairdresser

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Torremolinos, gonna be tropic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Going to Alvor in Portugal and hiring a car and going to Lisbon for 2 days, so 5 days of relaxing swimming and 2 days of sight seeing in a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Heading to Uganda for a week in June. I was invited to go for a month, but I've only been outside the country once in my life for a two week "holiday" in Corfu in 2002 that put me right off the idea of travelling abroad.

When I was invited to Uganda I figured it was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities I couldn't pass up!

I'm told Kampala is similar to Dublin... not sure that's a good thing if I'm honest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yay, was thinking of flying into Cologne and doing a trip on the Rhine.

Dunno if it will be full of people like me.... dull, older and FULL OF FUN lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Two or Three of Five... time permitting. They all take 2-3 weeks.

1. Cycle from Salzburg to Trieste, visiting Triglav National Park along the way.
    2. Walk the GR 20 in Corsica
    3. Cycle from the Atlantic to the Med by the Pyrenees, or the Canal du Midi.
    4. Cycle to Ballycastle, ferry to Campbelltown and island hop all the way up the Hebrides. Train and Bus home from Ullapool.
    5. Walk and Cycle from Dublin to the Beara Peninsula via the E8.

Heading to Uganda for a week in June. I was invited to go for a month, but I've only been outside the country once in my life for a two week "holiday" in Corfu in 2002 that put me right off the idea of travelling abroad.

When I was invited to Uganda I figured it was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities I couldn't pass up!

I'm told Kampala is similar to Dublin... not sure that's a good thing if I'm honest :o

Never been but it will be an adventure for sure, so go for it.

Get all yer jabs and anti malaria thinngys and you'll be grand. An opportunity not to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

Just back from Morocco. Had hoped to go to Turkey in June but herself isnt keen on the idea. Vegas in July for Def Con. Thats about it. Would love an alternative to Turkey for a week. Interested in ideas as well.
    Going to Alvor in Portugal...

Alvor is lovely. Been there 5 or 6 times. I wonder is the Irish pub still there. If it is, don't go into it. It was a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Yay, was thinking of flying into Cologne and doing a trip on the Rhine.

Dunno if it will be full of people like me.... dull, older and FULL OF FUN lol.

I've done that I won't say it was the best fun ever. But we did go canoeing down further south and camping by night on the Mosel. That was epic. 15 years ago so might have all changed by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hoping to go trekking in Ethiopia again - I was over there a couple of years ago on a charity thing (entirely paid by myself before anyone asks!) where we ran (well, in my case walked) the Great Ethiopian Run which was the BEST fun ever, then flew up north to go trekking with a local travel company staying in community lodges and walking every day.

It was one of the best holidays I've ever been on, and hopefully we can pull it together again this year.

Not a destination that springs easily to many minds, but I can highly, highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Japan in October to visit my daughter

Red Kev wrote: »
    Two or Three of Five... time permitting. They all take 2-3 weeks.

1. Cycle from Salzburg to Trieste, visiting Triglav National Park along the way.
    2. Walk the GR 20 in Corsica
    3. Cycle from the Atlantic to the Med by the Pyrenees, or the Canal du Midi.
    4. Cycle to Ballycastle, ferry to Campbelltown and island hop all the way up the Hebrides. Train and Bus home from Ullapool.
    5. Walk and Cycle from Dublin to the Beara Peninsula via the E8.

Sounds amazing. The Canal du Midi is great. Did a bit of it from Toulouse to Carcassonne. ON A BOAT, not a bicycle!

I will be doing a stretch of the GR from Le Puy to Conques on the Camino. Walking/trekking, but it looks good. Short enough but we can stretch it out with side trips too.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Japan in October to visit my daughter

I hear Japan is something else. I hope you enjoy, as you will.

I did all my long haul trips when I were a lass, don't know if I could do it now, but I'm sure I could if I really wanted to. Japan is one place I didn't get to, along with some others of course.

I might change my mind reading all the places you are all going to!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hoping to go trekking in Ethiopia again - I was over there a couple of years ago on a charity thing (entirely paid by myself before anyone asks!) where we ran (well, in my case walked) the Great Ethiopian Run which was the BEST fun ever, then flew up north to go trekking with a local travel company staying in community lodges and walking every day.

It was one of the best holidays I've ever been on, and hopefully we can pull it together again this year.

Not a destination that springs easily to many minds, but I can highly, highly recommend it!

I hear Ethiopia is amazing alright. And there are direct flights now to Addis from Dublin with Ethiopian Airlines.

There was an Italian Catholic influence there in times past that has lingered. Very interesting. Looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I hear Ethiopia is amazing alright. And there are direct flights now to Addis from Dublin with Ethiopian Airlines.

There was an Italian Catholic influence there in times past that has lingered. Very interesting. Looks gorgeous.
    I can't begin tell you how amazing it was!

This was the company we did the trekking with http://www.tesfatours.com/ - for anyone reading this who's even vaguely interested in the idea, I couldn't recommend them enough.

The scenery is incredible, and the people we met were just so lovely.

And yes, the direct flights make it really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going too see Guns N Roses in London on the 16th June, Flying out from Dublin 15th June and back the 17th June. Its going to be one hell of a week im going to see Aerosmith in the 3arena 14th June (try and get to the Airport after the show) and Waterford are playing in the Championship the 18th June

Were staying in the Ruskin Hotel London £192 for 2 nights, still have to book flights

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    going too see Guns N Roses in London on the 16th June, Flying out from Dublin 15th June and back the 17th June. Its going to be one hell of a week im going to see Aerosmith in the 3arena 14th June (try and get to the Airport after the show) and Waterford are playing in the Championship the 18th June

Were staying in the Ruskin Hotel London £192 for 2 nights, still have to book flights

Have a ball. That sounds great. Keep checking the flights, but mind the cost of getting into London on the train. Can be dearer than the flights sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Off to Lanzarote in June for 10 nights. Really looking forward to it. Haven't been away in years.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Off to Lanzarote in June for 10 nights. Really looking forward to it. Haven't been away in years.

Enjoy, and it will be all the nicer since you haven't been away for a while.

Load up the Kindle or bring the hefty books. Sip your poison of choice on a sunbed or on your terrace. Forget about everything. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I came back from Algeria last week, it was absolutely fantastic. I've never been in a country with no tourists that actually had loads to see. Historical Roman sites are all around the coast and you can find yourself in a deserted Roman town on your own. Algiers is an amazing city architecturally as is Constantine, a city built on gorges and featuring some of the highest bridges in the world. The people are the friendliest I've ever met and not an ounce of hassle or rip offs like you get in the tourist parts of Morocco. However conditions for accommodation can be spartan at times and there's hardly English spoken at all which can be challenge, the helpfulness of the people gets past that though.

I'm 30 in a few months and have a big trip planned which is to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana. The four countries intersect at a point and it'll be in that general area we'll be staying which features Victoria Falls, Chobe national park and the Ockavongo River. She's been before and loved it so really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Going to Bulgaria in May. Himself knows I haven't travelled much (been to Portugal, Spain, the UK and the Seychelles, that's it), so has been gifting me holidays each Christmas :pac:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nessebar looks like, what with it being a UNESCO heritage site. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't begin tell you how amazing it was!

This was the company we did the trekking with http://www.tesfatours.com/ - for anyone reading this who's even vaguely interested in the idea, I couldn't recommend them enough.

The scenery is incredible, and the people we met were just so lovely.

And yes, the direct flights make it really easy.

That's gas, my missus was in Ethiopia and totally and utterly hated it. She's been to around 18 countries in Africa and loved most of them but actually gets in a bad mood when you bring up Ethiopia she hated it that much. It's funny, other people I know went there and said the same. They said there was fierce insincerity there and you're constantly getting blackguarded and hassled for money and constantly fending off rip-offs. I don't know what to make of it.

It was a major idea for me once and I've heard so much from people I trust that said it wasn't worth it. I'd be very interested to hear your position on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rome for 6 nights at Easter.

Then the USA in August - see the solar eclipse, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Montana, Utah and still planning...always wanted to see a solar eclipse and Yellowstone, so this all going well will be the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

Perth in April for my sister's wedding - can't wait so excited - first time ever leaving my kids for a holiday on my own in 20 years . 5 of my brothers and sisters flying out together and we have a house rented so it will be the first time since we were kids that we have all been on holidays together .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Enjoy, and it will be all the nicer since you haven't been away for a while.

Load up the Kindle or bring the hefty books. Sip your poison of choice on a sunbed or on your terrace. Forget about everything. Bliss.

Ahh I'm even more looking forward to it now!
    I'm a real bookworm and love the feel and companionship of actual books but it is handier to load up my Kindle so that's what I'll be doing. A few cocktails on the sun lounger and my Kindle...bliss!

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    I came back from Algeria last week, it was absolutely fantastic. I've never been in a country with no tourists that actually had loads to see. Historical Roman sites are all around the coast and you can find yourself in a deserted Roman town on your own. Algiers is an amazing city architecturally as is Constantine, a city built on gorges and featuring some of the highest bridges in the world. The people are the friendliest I've ever met and not an ounce of hassle or rip offs like you get in the tourist parts of Morocco. However conditions for accommodation can be spartan at times and there's hardly English spoken at all which can be challenge, the helpfulness of the people gets past that though.

How safe did you find it? And I reckon the infrastructure for those for whom a hostel or a bed on the floor won't work is not great. But I could be wrong about that.

The FO advice is scary. But it is probably different on the ground.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/algeria

I bet there is a huge French influence there which is interesting.

Advertisement