Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jacovs wrote: »
    Its 3,89 on cdkeys for the PC game of the year edition.

That might do the trick alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Not as good a bargain but it's €12.99 for the GOTY edition on the PS Store. I'd highly recommend it as well. Really enjoyed playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not as good a bargain but it's €12.99 for the GOTY edition on the PS Store. I'd highly recommend it as well. Really enjoyed playing it.

I just have a PC and a Wii U so the cheap one will do me, but thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

When's shadow of war out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

jcd5971 wrote: »

October 10th

• Advertisement

When the time of man draws to a close and the dawn of the second age occurs…

Which is 10th October I suppose.

October 10th

Propably(not) be done with destiny by then so reckon I'll get this, nothing announced bothers me too much and the first was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yup, I loved the 1st. One of my fave games of the last decade. But I'll ensure WB Games getting money out me is like pulling teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Only game i've finished to 100% bar Super Mario World

Loved every second of it and just recently bought a XBone S specifically to play the sequel
    When the time of man draws to a close and the dawn of the second age occurs…

Which is 10th October I suppose.
    Propably(not) be done with destiny by then so reckon I'll get this, nothing announced bothers me too much and the first was great.

Lads, you have to draw the line somewhere...otherwise these sh1te practices will just continue.
    They will keep shoveling **** as long as there are plebs who'll buy it.
    Please...for the love of gaming ...take a stand against these practices.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lads, you have to draw the line somewhere...otherwise these sh1te practices will just continue.

I'm not going to buy it at launch… not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Chill the beans dude, gonna buy it second hand in cex at Xmas 🎄

I hate comments like this, I say I have no issue with the game i`ll buy it at launch as i enjoyed the first game and imagine i'll like this one as well.

therefore i'm a pleb....

Look if you want to avoid a game for loot boxes thats all well and good and your entitled to that opinion.

if your not buying the game out of some lofty principles, thats great as well but personally i wouldn't deprive myself of an enjoyable game to try to stop gaming industry doing what it has been doing for years.

and just for clarification I dont think its a good idea either , i just dont see it as a huge issue.

your free to disagree by the way, but lets keep this plebs nonsense out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Why is everyone in such a fuss over those lootboxes? You don't actually have to pay a penny towards them.

I certainly won't. If the reviews are good Il def pick it up but not one bit interested in microtransactions.

The first game was excellent. By the way, I think WB confirmed that no matter the region, all proceeds for that specific DLC thing will go to the family, not just the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

joe123 wrote: »
    Why is everyone in such a fuss over those lootboxes? You don't actually have to pay a penny towards them.

I certainly won't. If the reviews are good Il def pick it up but not one bit interested in microtransactions.

The first game was excellent. By the way, I think WB confirmed that no matter the region, all proceeds for that specific DLC thing will go to the family, not just the US.

It's largely to do with the worry they will make it ridiculous without the loot boxes. Think of how you would fare if you started off the game on the second map if it were flooded with even more orcs at every turn. You'd never progress past it, and it would be largely unplayable.

That also ties in with the 'principle of the matter' aspect which is quite admirable, because as with all things in life if we let this slide next time they'll push a little more. And a little more. And a little more. And a little more. Then next thing you know you're playing a Mordor game where you have no weapons, can't take 10 steps without being killed and have no chance of killing anyone else, and lose all your progress if you die 3 times unless you buy the micro transaction stuff in order to be able to actually get further than 2% into the game without having to start over.

Despite loving the first game I'll just see how the stuff works and consider buying later. If I'm unhappy with how they've implemented this I'll be giving it a miss most likely.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's largely to do with the worry they will make it ridiculous without the loot boxes. Think of how you would fare if you started off the game on the second map if it were flooded with even more orcs at every turn. You'd never progress past it, and it would be largely unplayable.

That also ties in with the 'principle of the matter' aspect which is quite admirable, because as with all things in life if we let this slide next time they'll push a little more. And a little more. And a little more. And a little more. Then next thing you know you're playing a Mordor game where you have no weapons, can't take 10 steps without being killed and have no chance of killing anyone else, and lose all your progress if you die 3 times unless you buy the micro transaction stuff in order to be able to actually get further than 2% into the game without having to start over.

Despite loving the first game I'll just see how the stuff works and consider buying later. If I'm unhappy with how they've implemented this I'll be giving it a miss most likely.

If any of that comes to pass, I won't be buying the game but I can't imagine a doomsday scenario like you've described coming to pass. I'll be honest I've played games like Dead Space 3 where people seemed to howl in outrage about microtransactions and I never had to spend an extra cent to complete the game. Then again, I'll never buy a game at launch and there's few to no games I consider spending over €20 on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If any of that comes to pass, I won't be buying the game but I can't imagine a doomsday scenario like you've described coming to pass. I'll be honest I've played games like Dead Space 3 where people seemed to howl in outrage about microtransactions and I never had to spend an extra cent to complete the game. Then again, I'll never buy a game at launch and there's few to no games I consider spending over €20 on.

I'm usually the same re games on launch with (very) few exceptions, probably just Civilization and GTA - I'm still holding out waiting for Forza Horizon 3 to dip a good year later :p . I only actually played Shadow of Mordor earlier in the year so don't have a huge yearning to get back to it just yet either way.

Granted that what I had was a worst case scenario, but a much more realistic worry would be having to grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind just to get anywhere. Mordor's combat style and Nemesis system could help against it quite a lot, but that would be something that could really make the game a hell of a lot less enjoyable. When I played the first I really went through the in full and tried to get as much done as I could, but it began to get just *a little* old and repetitive by the end... but if it stupid amounts of grinding are required it would wear out it's welcome way earlier.

The bigger concern for me though, is the potential for the slow turning of the needle by the games industry if this stuff continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More than the 'consumer advocacy' angle here, the basic concept of commidifying a central - and indeed signature - game mechanic and tying it to real-world money is a rather worrying development. A pretty unfortunate way to undermine a game's systems & identity, and even if you don't buy in you'll still be 'advertised' at. It chips away at the game's internal logic - the mere concept of loot boxes full of orcs is farcically weak sauce. Aesthetic-only loot boxes have already become something of a tedious distraction in otherwise excellent games, adding an element of ever-present grind, but when the game systems start being considered fair game than that's the top of a super slippery slope.

Overwatch may be one of the most brilliant, artfully designed multiplayer games ever made - but the way it has unleashed loot boxes on the medium is a dark legacy of an otherwise exceptional game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Lest us not forget the debacle that was the RMAH in Diablo 3.

Allegedly linking the drop rate of items to real world supply to keep demand sky high.

I played 30-40 hours back in 2012 and didn't pick up a single legendary. Now, the same time frame would net you literally hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

joe123 wrote: »

So, there are multiple problems with the lootboxes in this game. In interest of clarity, I am vehemently opposed to micro-transactions of any sort, but ones like Overwatch bother me more so because of the lootbox than the actually micro-transaction.

So, firstly, and worst of all, is the randomness of it. A lootbox is just random items that you have to either raise in game currency for or buy from your own cash. By the way, some of the lootboxes in this game can only be bought with gold, which is extremely limited in game from what WB have said. Here's the problem though, WB let you see what you could possible get. Legendary orcs, gear etc. So, in a sense, if you don't get those things, you might be incentivised to spend more money. In a weird, fcuked up way, it's essentially gambling and some people are addicted to gambling quite easily.

Have you seen some of the reactions to FIFA FUT packs with Ronaldo or Messi in them? People spend a ton of money to feel that feeling, and it is similar to the effect of gambling. That is deeply problematic for numerous reasons and can lead to people p1ssing away their hard earned money. Also, if you think "they should have some self-control!" I'd like to see you say that to an alcoholic, a drug addict etc. Not so easy then, huh?

Secondly, the orcs you use in multiplayer can die and are then unusable for other multiplayer games. This is just sh1te and not fair, they are consumables you will, at some point, have to use lootboxes for. It also tilts the game in favor of those who buy the lootboxes as legendary orcs will kick the ass of in-game orcs. That's pay to win by any standard.

Finally, nope, WB haven't confirmed that. Hell, it's not even all 50 states due to the fact WB haven't bothered to get a license for it in some states that require a license to sell items for charity. Also, only $3.50 will go to the family, not the entire $5 dollars, which is just sh1tty on so many levels.

I had this game pre-ordered, cancelled it and will wait until I can get a second hand copy so that absolutely none of my money goes to WB. WB have proved time and time again to be anti-consumer and it is not acceptable. I don't care if this is the greatest game of all time, I refuse to be complicit in a company trying to squeeze every last cent out of a full priced release. DLC is a fantastic way for companies to make extra money and for the consumer to get something meaningful out of it. It also says a lot that companies like FROM and CD Projekt Red still make huge profits without having anti-consumer practices due to a. making great games and b. having consumer trust in them and their product by not being a genuinely vile company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Finally, nope, WB haven't confirmed that. Hell, it's not even all 50 states due to the fact WB haven't bothered to get a license for it in some states that require a license to sell items for charity. Also, only $3.50 will go to the family, not the entire $5 dollars, which is just sh1tty on so many levels.

In fairness (and not that I ever want to be defending WB on anything), but generally 30% of a sale of anything on the stores (Steam, PSN, XBL) goes to the storeholder, not the publisher. So WB wouldn't be getting that money to give to the charity anyway. They've also since said all the money they get from the sale of that item will be going to charity. It's likely that the disclaimer about the states is a legal disclaimer they specifically had to mention, but that the money from those states will be going to charity anyway.

Again, I don't want to be defending WB and they could have handled things a hell of a lot better, but I don't think that's the stick to beat them with. I think it's down to extremely poor communication rather than them trying to profit off the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Penn wrote: »
    IThey've also since said all the money they get from the sale of that item will be going to charity. It's likely that the disclaimer about the states is a legal disclaimer they specifically had to mention, but that the money from those states will be going to charity anyway.

Yeah, right.

How low can one publisher go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

M!Ck^ wrote: »

How low can one publisher go?

TL;DW version?

TL;DW version?

Yeah, I ain't got time for twenty minute youtube videos…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

TL;DW version?

One of the producers died. The are bringing out a dlc with his likeness in a big role as a tribute. All proceeds are supposed to go to his family. However it now seems that only $3.50 from each $5 sale will go to his family and only from units sold in 44 of the 50 US states and none from sales outside the US.

One of the producers died. The are bringing out a dlc with his likeness in a big role as a tribute. All proceeds are supposed to go to his family. However it now seems that only $3.50 from each $5 sale will go to his family and only from units sold in 44 of the 50 US states and none from sales outside the US.

Did Penn not give fairly valid reasons why this might be the case a couple of posts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Did Penn not give fairly valid reasons why this might be the case a couple of posts back?

WB confirmed on Twitter that DLC sold outside the states would not have any contribution to charity, don't see why that would be any different in the 6 states they specifically mentioned were also excluded.

*edit* Dunno how to embed tweets

Monolith and WB aren't profiting off DLC sales outside the States apparently. No answer as to where the money will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

WB confirmed on Twitter that DLC sold outside the states would not have any contribution to charity, don't see why that would be any different in the 6 states they specifically mentioned were also excluded.

*edit* Dunno how to embed tweets

https://twitter.com/shadowofwargame/status/903404469622251521

Monolith and WB aren't profiting off DLC sales outside the States apparently. No answer as to where the money will go.
    Where does it go then? They really aren't being clear on it at all, which is always troublesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah, grand. Sure it'll be free outside of those 44 states so, surely?

Or they'll donate it all to charity of their own accord perhaps?

Advertisement