Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dcully wrote: »
    PC users, how does it operate with mouse and KB?

I played the first game with a pad untile the pad broke and i never got past maybe 20% of the game as i just lost interest.

found it awkward too, but i just dropped the sensitivity on mouselook for both axises and it's grand now - seriously dropped it to around 20% on each. Binding are as odd as they were with SoM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone get their Gamestop 39.99 pre-order delivered yet? Sent tuesday, hopefully comes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jim Sterling as uploaded his early impression video of this.

I suppose if there's one thing I like about Jim Sterling, that almost makes up for him being an attention seeking knob at times, is that he's very honest in the video.

At it's core, it's another great game and is fun to play, and the reason people got annoyed about the loot boxes and similar is because they want to really enjoy the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i played the crap out of the first one, the whole loot box crap put me of buying it. Tempted to pirate for the first time in like 10 years :pac:

Why is he an attention seeking knob?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't like loot boxes and don't want to have to grind for hours to get the final ending? Then cheat :) I'm sure WB will take this down soon enough, but they can **** right off. I might use the cheat now, and not actually use them till later in the game.

www.pcgamer.com/shadow-of-war-loot-box-cheat/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the cheapest this is floating around for PC at the moment, for someone who doesn't know where to even start looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Kiith wrote: »
    Don't like loot boxes and don't want to have to grind for hours to get the final ending? Then cheat :) I'm sure WB will take this down soon enough, but they can **** right off. I might use the cheat now, and not actually use them till later in the game.

Looks like the page has been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I still had it open
    Amid the divisive loot box trend, PC players have been finding their own way to deal, foremost in Middle-earth: Shadow of War. By using Cheat Engine scripts to give themselves unlimited Mirian, some players have found it's possible to buy a infinite supply of loot and war chests, drowning themselves in uruks and gear. In the NeoGAF thread that tipped us off, members are going back and forth on the ethics of the exploit, and sharing methods for pulling it off.

HOW SHADOW OF WAR'S LOOT BOXES WORK

Find out how much they cost, what they give you, and whether or not they're necessary in our Shadow of War loot box breakdown.
    To be clear, Miriam is not the premium currency that requires real money to purchase, and the silver tier of chests do not reward legendary uruks or gear—those are saved for crates you need to buy with Gold, the premium currency. But you can still accrue a formidable army and enough powerful gear to take on Shadow of War's greatest challenges with ease.

The cheat is made possible using third-party tools like Cheat Engine to manipulate the game files, a common practice until the advent of online-everythings and microtransations. It's an especially strange cheat since the ability to give yourself infinite uruk friends and gear makes the presence of premium loot boxes in a single-player game stand out as totally unnecessary. They're there to make money. That's no surprise, but the exploit diminishes the value proposition of the premium crates, which are already a questionable addition.

But is changing the value of a free in-game currency using cheats to earn unlimited digital items wrong if it shares the same market and item pool with the premium currency and loot? Is it theft, or is it up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A?

With microtransactions effectively tripling the value of the game industry in recent years, I wouldn't be surprised to see publishers take action against such exploits, even if cheat codes and digging through game files are an ages old hobbyist tradition.

We don't condone altering game files without first considering the effects it could have on your save files and any possible legal repercussions. To get clarification on the latter point, we've reached out to WB and will update if we get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I still had it open

Figured out why it seemed to have been removed, i spelt loot as loof. :o

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the cheapest this is floating around for PC at the moment, for someone who doesn't know where to even start looking?

cdkeys have it for a reasonable price, though it's more expensive now than it was the other day, got it for 36 i think.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-pc-steam-cd-key

Up WB games bolox
    Delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That last reply... was Gamestop's response to him pointing out how loot boxes take advantage of people with gambling issues (or vulnerable to developing gambling issues) really "well yeah but cheats used to be free so you've got no point"!?

I mean, that literally only helps prove the guy's point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

well i caved and bought on it on steam, i might just refund it. Kinda has that whole dragon age inquisition thing where you unlock things to go find from a tower, and all that typical go save dude from being executed it looks lovely but yeah i dunno just feels so repetitive already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Billy86 wrote:
    That last reply... was Gamestop's response to him pointing out how loot boxes take advantage of people with gambling issues (or vulnerable to developing gambling issues) really "well yeah but cheats used to be free so you've got no point"!?

Yeah from what I've heard your end game options are either to grind hard or else pay for decent orcs in loot boxes. I mean games where never intentionally driving you towards using cheats. They where potentially difficult but any game that let you grind your way past difficulty wasn't really doing it right.

So anyway totally agree. Shot themselves in the foot here

I'm normally the type who can't hold his piddle when new games on day one are concerned but even I've managed to resist the urge to buy this. Add to that I'd normally be the type to embrace a grind but there are too many alarm bells around this even for me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must say I'm really enjoying this.

Must say I'm really enjoying this.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll probably pick this up in 2019.

Sure it's not going anywhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

keane2097 wrote: »

www.isthereanydeal.com is generally a solid place to start

NxybUNA.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

At this stage, I think I'll wait for a complete edition with whatever DLC we're bound to see over the next few months. I've got a big pile of stuff to play as is. I'm glad to hear it's a good game mind you, lootbox dickery notwithstanding.

How does it play compared to Shadow of Mordor?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Shiminay wrote: »
    At this stage, I think I'll wait for a complete edition with whatever DLC we're bound to see over the next few months. I've got a big pile of stuff to play as is. I'm glad to hear it's a good game mind you, lootbox dickery notwithstanding.

Yeah, I've got a massive backlog, and I've got an Xbox One X on preorder, so there's really no need for me to get this yet. I'll hold off until after Christmas I think, should be some price drops afterwards.

How does it play compared to Shadow of Mordor?

pretty much identically - same control system (pc kb/m bindings), same basic idea with the nemesis system with the addition of having your own army of orcses too, story is fairly meh, same as SoM but it's a good looking effort, if ye enjoyed SoM you'll find lots to enjoy in this too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So far i'm mostly enjoying it. Pretty much the same game as the first, just bigger. It's like a mix of Assassins Creed and Dragon Age: Inquisition - lots of killing from stealth and lots of towers that lead you to lots of collectables. Each zone seems just like a bigger version of the previous, with more enemies (using the Nemesis system). One of my biggest annoyances is constantly being ambushed by enemies. Had about 5 of them in a row earlier while trying to collect a random collectable that i shouldn't have bothered with, and it was just annoying.

I'll stick with it for now, but i can definitely see it getting old soon enough.

And, so far, no need for lootboxes. Not sure why anyone would waste money on them this early to be honest.

pretty much identically - same control system (pc kb/m bindings), same basic idea with the nemesis system with the addition of having your own army of orcses too, story is fairly meh, same as SoM but it's a good looking effort, if ye enjoyed SoM you'll find lots to enjoy in this too.

Very good. That's me out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And, so far, no need for lootboxes. Not sure why anyone would waste money on them this early to be honest.
    To get the true ending you apparently need 5 epic orc bosses to defend your camps; anything less and they will be run over before you can get there to defend them. That and of course PvPing with them are the two main "must buy" areas from what I've read.

Advertisement