Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a break from Teaching Council.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Same here. Took 3 months to get a qualification up on the system after posting details.
    Granted, like rainbowtrout i let it lapse initially. And when it was after 3 months it took 3 different people within the 1 week to get it done.
    I remember a thread on here before where they only got the finger out after being threatened with legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

F. the teachers council.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

From what I’ve heard, it’s really important to keep your registration up. I’ve heard of people having the amount of credits questioned in their subjects and whether they have enough to teach that subject when reregistering. If you are an Irish teacher there is a new condition that to qualify you must live in a Gaeltacht area for a number of months. If you let your registration lapse they will force you to do this even if you have been teaching Irish for years! It’s not worth the hassle they could potentially cause you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Why would anyone become a teacher with all the shyte involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

From what I’ve heard, it’s really important to keep your registration up. I’ve heard of people having the amount of credits questioned in their subjects and whether they have enough to teach that subject when reregistering. If you are an Irish teacher there is a new condition that to qualify you must live in a Gaeltacht area for a number of months. If you let your registration lapse they will force you to do this even if you have been teaching Irish for years! It’s not worth the hassle they could potentially cause you!

Actually this is an important point. Until a couple of years ago the requirement to register for a subject was 54/180 credits, 30% of a degree, assuming specific topics were covered in the degree etc. At the start of 2017 (I think) it changed to 60/180 credits (33%). Not a big change, but for someone who had the original requirement, they might find now they are short 6 credits for something they were originally deemed qualified for and possibly taught for years. Who needs that hassle from the TC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why would anyone become a teacher with all the shyte involved?
    Sure teachers don't work at all and the money is incredibly good. :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement