Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel gym membership?

Options
  • 23-02-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Mid of January i visited a Gym and was discussing about the membership. They made me to sign the contract their it self by getting my bank details. Also i paid in cash for the half a month fee for January. i visited 2 times as they emailed me with class details. After the first week due to some personal issue i couldnt go to gym and i wanted to cancel it. I called the gym and informed about my position; but the said that i cant cancel the membership and what i can do is get another person instead, which is impossible for me. So i decided to cancel the direct debit.

Advice me in this what i have done is right?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Mid of January i visited a Gym and was discussing about the membership. They made me to sign the contract their it self by getting my bank details. Also i paid in cash for the half a month fee for January. i visited 2 times as they emailed me with class details. After the first week due to some personal issue i couldnt go to gym and i wanted to cancel it. I called the gym and informed about my position; but the said that i cant cancel the membership and what i can do is get another person instead, which is impossible for me. So i decided to cancel the direct debit.

thanks

Exactly how I cancelled and never heard a thing back about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most gyms won't let you transfer membership to a friend so fair to them for that.
    What contract did you sign? Month, 6 months or year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roadrunner1234

Thank you for your replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

They *made* you sign a contract there and then?

Just cancel the direct debt and don't be so hasty signing up for things in the future. Unlikely they'll come after you.

Its a 6month membership.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Yes straight away on the day i went to see the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Just cancel the direct debit,

gyms very very rarely follow these up, ive signed up to 3 gyms in the past and cancelled this way (moved about a good bit)
    would of been easier if they let me pay by the month but they didnt
    but you won't be chased up or hear anything
    Hell I even get texts from the previous gyms ive been in to get a discount if I want to rejoin haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Its a 6month membership.

Technically its a legal contract and you owe the money. Plenty of posters say they cancelled the DD and had no issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

thanks
    Cancel the direct debit and don't worry yourself about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thanks

if they actually made you sign the contract it's not legally binding. I have a feeling they didn't though. You are asking for advice on how to break a contract. You can't legally do that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thread locked. This is the fitness forum not legal discussion or consumer affairs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement