Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Music in a Video Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wasteland 2

Mass Effect 3

So many good ones in ME3 too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Echoing the Furi soundtrack as mentioned, great tracks.

My personal favorite is the Bloodbourne soundtrack

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4yUdaF72jed7Pl9kycxzcE

Ludwig theme is by far the best, doesnt seem to be in the spotify list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Undertale does a good job of marrying memorable themes to specific characters. It's also handy at setting the tone of particular bits. I'm sure the one of the main reasons anyone's completed a genocide run is so they could hear the full version of 'Megalovania' as it was intended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

F-Zero (SNES)
    Zelda:Orcarina of Tme (N64)
    Star Fox (SNES)
    Resident Evil 1 Remake (Gamecube)
    The Last Of Us (PS4)
    Dead Or Alive 2 (Dreamcast)
    Sonic 2 (Megadrive)
    World of Warcraft (vanilla zones - PC)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
    Wip3out 2097 (PS1)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I came across an exceptional soundtrack recently. It's from the game I Shall Remain, on Steam. I didn't really enjoy playing the game itself, bad mechanics and dull story, but I was completely blown away by the soundtrack. The developers released it free on youtube

For me, however, the best soundtrack of all time is this one (Akira Yamaoka produced phenomenal music throughout the whole SH series but SH2 is a masterpiece)

Also, Max Payne 2 has a fantastic soundtrack, especially this song which marked the debut of Poets of the Fall (their work on the Alan Wake soundtrack was also great)

Honorable mentions for these nostalgic gems,

Ocarina of Time (N64)
    Time Crisis (PS1)
    Double Dragon
    FF7 and FF8 (PS1)
    Castlevania (any version of bloody tears!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Always stayed in my head over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Burnout 3 soundtrack, just so good.

Also one of my favourite tracks of all time, nothing gets ya pumped more for the Arena battles:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dying Light's soundtrack is a recent one I am loving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The soundtrack for AC Unity is my number one. Followed closely by Chakra Attack/The Fernando Show from GTA V in close joint second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I have a few on my Spotify Game's playlist.

I love Shovel Knight's 'Strike the earth'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Always stayed in my head over the years (re: Destruction Derby 2

First PS1 game i owned. Such a good game. I wish they'd re-release it with no changes other than graphics! Haven't played a destruction derby type game that has come close to how good it was.

Back to topic, and every time i see a thread like this, it's an easy answer for me. No soundtrack will ever knock this off as my favourite theme, from the amazing and well-overdue remake needed Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver:

Words can't describe how amazing this game and it's soundtrack are to me. I still get shivers every time i hear Ozar Midrashim. Suited the game perfectly! And what a game.

However, Guacamelee really stood out for me, what with the instant change from over to underworld with a seamless change in the theme of the music. Amazingly done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Check out Sound of Play, the videogame music podcast from the team behind the similarly excellent Cane and Rinse.

Each episode of Sound of Play features a selection of songs drawn from every era of games. You'll find silly J-pop alongside grand orchestral arrangements and everything and anything in between.

Cane and Rinse is a critical analysis show where each two hour episode is dedicated to a single title.

Two fantastic shows. Also, their forum is the only gaming forum I've ever come across where people are consistently nice to each other. Seriously. There's no insults or petty arguments. No 'likes' and never any need for a Mod to intervene. All of the guys from the shows are on there and you can chat with them and just generally contribute to a very good-natured corner of the internet. One of the regular users, 'Flabyo", is an A.I. programmer and an ex-member of Lionhead that worked on the Fable series. He's just one of a number of very interesting people that contribute to the forum.

(No, I'm not a member of the team ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

mossym wrote: »
    probably have to be of a certain age, but by a country mile

Jayziz man that brought me by the scruff of the neck to my early 20s sitting in an internet cafe after work playing the multiplayer. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

BF1s sound track is very good. The best I have heard in a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Some class music in Destiny - Rise of Iron update :D

Tony Hawks 2 was also a good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bencfc69

Street Fighter II

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Life is Strange & Gone Home I thought had brilliant soundtracks.

Can't bate a bit of Jose

Really liked how the last song in Gone Home blended in with the final dialogue. Will just post the song itself as will only spoiler otherwise.

The Last of Us 2 should have a class soundtrack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Revenge of shinobi/ super shinobi
    Sonic
    Any bitmap brothers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The Ridge Racer series is a blast from the past for me.

https://youtu.be/umL7d9dKVYk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Chrono Trigger - Guardia Castle

Deadly Premonition - The Woods And The Goddess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

This will forever be burned into my mind.

All the music from his game is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Into zanarkand.

The feels are real

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 NoahL

hey! oh! lets go by the ramones lol it is in the Tony Hawk game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

The SNES had some great sound tracks, I wish it had been CD audio quality.
    Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II, Contra III off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Hotline Miami 2 is full of awesome tracks, 1st game was too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

There's so many I could choose but I'll go with Stickerbush Symphony from Donkey Kong 2 on the snes.
    ]

Advertisement