Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

764dak wrote: »
    It seems the average gamer has better morals than academics.  Many academics post books of other academics on their websites.  Some computer scientists even posted romhacks of Nintendo games online.

http://erikdemaine.org/papers/Mario_FUN2016/paper.pdf

" Super Mario Bros. is a trademark of Nintendo. Sprites are used and stripped and modified ROMs are presented here under Fair Use for the educational purpose of illustrating mathematical theorems."

Not really equivalent. They are using those under fair use as educational material. Also academic research is totally based on the sharing and dissemination of information and work. You know, the whole standing on the shoulders of giants thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It seems the average gamer has better morals than academics.  Many academics post books of other academics on their websites.  Some computer scientists even posted romhacks of Nintendo games online.

http://erikdemaine.org/papers/Mario_FUN2016/paper.pdf

" Super Mario Bros. is a trademark of Nintendo. Sprites are used and stripped and modified ROMs are presented here under Fair Use for the educational purpose of illustrating mathematical theorems."

Not really equivalent. They are using those under fair use as educational material. Also academic research is totally based on the sharing and dissemination of information and work. You know,  the whole standing on the shoulders of giants thing.
    So as long as I write an academic paper on a game I am allowed to download the rom?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So as long as I write an academic paper on a game I am allowed to download the rom?

Probably not but it's hardly going to break the bank to buy an actual copy of the game to have a bit more legal standing with regards to downloading a rom.

In the case of the paper you have referenced I feel you'd have a very strong case to argue that the downloading and playing of the rom was for educational and research purposes. The legal grounds would still be a bit dubious but they're using it as a tool for a larger project.

It's kind of the same way with, say, I am error. The author uses the emulators to explain how these games worked on a NES and it's a work of significant historical importance considering the information within it. It's hard to argue there as well that the rom isn't being used for educational purposes.

Advertisement