Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mulherin was strongly pro life/anti abortion in the past.

Up to the point where she realized maintaining that stance would get her thrown off the FG ticket...as she told the world with admirable candour at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

nuac wrote: »
    Ring is an experienced campaigner. I doubt if there will be much leakage of FG votes from the Westport area from Ring to Dillon

Absolutely but I was talking of more of an alliance / campaign / transfers / support between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Anyone's stance on abortion won't really matter if the referendum is long over and forgotten before the next election I'd imagine. If the government make it to the summer break then it's going to be October before an election and with the referendum in May it will be long forgotten like marriage referendum now I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Ring will carry Dillon on his back as he did the now departed Kenny on more than one ocassion. It took Varadkar to give Ring the recognition he deserved,Kenny did not like Ring,saw him as a lower class.Ring is a man of the people.Kenny was a GOB****E of the highest order....look at how he "thanked" his local constituency officer,Mr.Deere,in Castlebar,left him without a job when the Taoiseachs office was vacated.Is this how you treat loyalty! Mulherrin may also benefit from Ring.Thats not saying that either of them will be elected....but again we have the GAA interfering,we saw the sh1t offered in the past when Mayo would have won a long awaited All Ireland Final only for the "organisation" to cull Mickey Moran and Morrison at the last minute and install O'Mahoney who destroyed both Mayo GAA (second time around) and Mayo Politics by virtue of sitting on the fence and not having the balls to follow his own inclinations on a number of issues.Of course if he did he would have been banished from the party and lost money in the process.How many pensions does the man need? And now they are trying to elect him to Europe by virtue of been manager of Mayo,Leitrim and Galway.Are people absolute GOMBEENS? The bullying by the GAA is not nice and has destroyed a number of careers within some areas due to them getting their man or woman a job or promotion whether that person can do the job or not,usually its NOT!
    On the other side Chambers would want to look at how she conducts herself.I've already heard a number of people say they will not give her a stroke of the pen come the next election due to her waffle.Does she not remind you of a certain Beverley who could talk non stop for half an hour and say nothing. And are their liasion with the opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dara Calleary should definitely get a bounce off his appointment as deputy leader of Fianna Fail.What odds on him being the next Fianna Fail taoiseach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lord above, we really do get the representation we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Ring lost a lot of votes to Cowley, who left it very late to run last time out. If he goes again, assuming the Public Health Service is in the mess it is now; he could sweep up a lot of FG votes.

That seemed like a flat out set up to me

Cowley is closely tied to FF

Lisa Chambers father is from Newport

If I recall correctly, Chambers got a lot more of Cowleys transfers than Mulhern and thats what got her elected

In my opinion it was a clever stroke to take #1 s away from Ring who could have brought Mulhern over the line with him

Id say Dillon could do okay in Castlebar

He went to school in Castlebar, hes related to a well know Castlebar FG family and hes very friendly with some of the Castlebar Mitchels lads from the Mayo team

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

......ya,but what does he actually offer,are we going to elect another GAA Yahoo who does not give a fcuk about anything other than his own pension pot.Is it any wonder we are where we are in the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ethical wrote: »
    ......ya,but what does he actually offer,are we going to elect another GAA Yahoo who does not give a fcuk about anything other than his own pension pot.Is it any wonder we are where we are in the West?

You only have to look at some of the posts above to realise why we are where we are in the west.

It's not the politicians fault, we elect them. No that's not right, we not only elect them, we continue to do so indefinitely without holding them to account at the ballot box. The type of representation we have is a very fair reflection on the type of people we have. What's in it for me, what will I get, when is it my turn.

Unfortunately, our best and brightest have been forced to leave and will not return. Now don't get me wrong, we have some great people in Mayo, who have built businesses in spite of the environment but...... We have an over abundance of dross too. Inevitably this is reflected in who we choose to represent us.

They make all the right noises to please those who keep them in power but by and large have no experience of anything other than the Dail and everything that surrounds that.

How Ballina for example continues to re elect the same people over and over again is baffling to me. The road out of the town goes down to a single lane outside Swinford. Apparently this is acceptable to the people of Ballina and they are happy with it.

Can you imagine trying to attract business to that town and the drive down over the bridge. Its embarrassing.

None of it matters though, we will still elect the political dynasties we always have and get what we deserve.

Too many hands out and not enough hands being put up.

It's been over 50 years since John Healey said No One Shouted Stop, I would argue that no one has ever shouted start for the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

imho Rabbitte never moved one from being a student politician. All mouth.

Whatever happened to that letter that would "shake the state to its foundations"?

Fair play to Michelle. Shows she is not as stuck up as are many politicians

Only coming across this now......I can't let this go.

To villify Pat Rabbitte and then talk up MM in the same post is ridiculous.

Pat Rabbitte is a mayo man, born near Claremorris. Alright, her represented the Labour party and was its leader as well as being Minister for Communications, energy and natural resources. He was also a minister for state and developed his political craft over a long number of years having being elected in 1989.

He was a student prince having cut his political teeth in student politics no different from many other politicians.

If the Mayo constituency only had a politician of his calibre then we would be a considerably far ahead on a whole range of issues.

Instead we are left with the likes of Mulherin and her fornication comments and calls to a mobile in Africa.

Perhaps Pat Rabbitte's political legacy will linger long via this reposte to Fianna Fail's reckless mismanagement of the Irish economy in a Prime Time debate with Fianna Fail's Pat Carey in 2010.

Ask yourself could any of Mayo's TD (including MM) delivered the thoughts of a nation so eloquently and forcefully than this man?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

finisklin wrote: »
    Only coming across this now......I can't let this go.

To villify Pat Rabbitte and then talk up MM in the same post is ridiculous.

Pat Rabbitte is a mayo man, born near Claremorris. Alright, her represented the Labour party and was its leader as well as being Minister for Communications, energy and natural resources. He was also a minister for state and developed his political craft over a long number of years having being elected in 1989.

He was a student prince having cut his political teeth in student politics no different from many other politicians.

If the Mayo constituency only had a politician of his calibre then we would be a considerably far ahead on a whole range of issues.

Instead we are left with the likes of Mulherin and her fornication comments and calls to a mobile in Africa.

Perhaps Pat Rabbitte's political legacy will linger long via this reposte to Fianna Fail's reckless mismanagement of the Irish economy in a Prime Time debate with Fianna Fail's Pat Carey in 2010.

Ask yourself could any of Mayo's TD (including MM) delivered the thoughts of a nation so eloquently and forcefully than this man?

Did he not give away the gas or am I mixing him up with some one else

naughto wrote: »
    Did he not give away the gas or am I mixing him up with some one else

Not sure about that, but he definitely gave the game away about pre-election promises in this interview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgmTvQ2nU88

At least theres a bit of fight in Ring and he takes good care of Mayo when it comes to doling out cash

Lisa Chambers is obviously the best educated and smartest, but how the fvck could any person of her age sign up for Fianna Fail....and her whole family Fine Gael....just a cynical ploy to get ahead in politics

Calleary seems like a decent enough fella, but a degree in marketing from Trinity followed by a handy number working for the Chamber of Commerce is hardly a CV worthy of the job he has

Dont know about Dillon, but being a footballer is hardly a suitable qualification to be an elected official......but elections are really nothing more than glorified popularity contests

I think Rose Conway is good too, but FFS Sinn Fein have gone so far left on so social many issues you have to wonder how that will sit in a conservative constituency like Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

FF and FG are two cheeks of the same arse. It's just as stupid to go with one as the other.
    So you may as well pick the one that will get you elected. Her whole family being FG is irrelevant.
    That's the problem with the way people think when voting. I predict Calleary, Chambers, Ring and Conway-Walsh. (Just for the craic)

FF and FG are two cheeks of the same arse. It's just as stupid to go with one as the other.
    So you may as well pick the one that will get you elected. Her whole family being FG is irrelevant.
    That's the problem with the way people think when voting. I predict Calleary, Chambers, Ring and Conway-Walsh. (Just for the craic)

She signed up with FF at a time were they were the most toxic, crooked and corrupt political party the in the history of the State. I would find it very hard to trust any candidate who would sacrifice every shred of decency and integrity she had to get ahead in politics.

Add in all the lying and bull****ting about the Sacred Heart Hospital, Castlebar Hospital and Castlebar Train Station getting shut down

whitey1 wrote: »
    I think Rose Conway is good too, but FFS Sinn Fein have gone so far left on so social many issues you have to wonder how that will sit in a conservative constituency like Mayo

Didn't seem to concern Lisa Chambers too much when she and Billy Kelleher proposed legislation for 'abortion on demand' up to 12 weeks...

Didn't seem to concern Lisa Chambers too much when she and Billy Kelleher proposed legislation for 'abortion on demand' up to 12 weeks...

Not too sure if Mayo is any longer as conservative a constituency as it once was.

Not too sure if Mayo is any longer as conservative a constituency as it once was.

Plus I guess FF TDs can be as liberal as they like on these issues because where else are socially conservative voters going to go?

Plus I guess FF TDs can be as liberal as they like on these issues because where else are socially conservative voters going to go?

Any chance of Renua making a comeback?:D

• Advertisement

Dont be surprised if Frank Durcan doesnt make an appearance this time out.....hes a big pro lifer.

It’ll be tight this time out....third party candidates could make predictions very difficult

Lucinda makes a triumphant return to her native county. Or perhaps not...
    It’ll be tight this time out....third party candidates could make predictions very difficult

We've heard a lot of talk about SF and Inds before the last few elections and it's never come to anything. Looks to me like nailed on 2 FF, 2 FG, with the only question being whether Dillon or Mulherin takes the second FG seat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Dont be surprised if Frank Durcan doesnt make an appearance this time out.....hes a big pro lifer.

Frank must be close to 80 now. It is a very big county to travel.

Who are the likely new third party candidates?

They have a van at least. I think you could probably fit all their voters in it too.

On paper, Chambers should be a refreshing candidate but she's as "old-school politician" as they come imo.

But if the referendum passes abortion will be about as live an issue as same-sex marriage. Would be like going into the 1997 election with opposition to divorce as your main platform...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

PARlance wrote: »
    On paper, Chambers should be a refreshing candidate but she's as "old-school politician" as they come imo.

A young able intelligent barrister. What is there not to like?

I totally agree but I'm guessing he's means that she's hardly a radical change from the status quo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Possibly the young and able I agree with. Does the fact that she's a barrister qualify her to be a politician anymore than a builder, teacher, economist or a social worker?

Plus she can't have built up any significant experience in this area given how competitive it is and her youth?

The only qualification required is to get more votes than the next fella and once you have the courage (or neck) to put yourself in front of the electorate then you are off. If you are with FF or FG then that's half the battle.

This election for Alan Dillon will be less important than the next one where he will have built up his base and have a foundation to secure a seat. Plus he should nab one in the local elections next year if unsuccessful.

The battle of Ballyheane will be an interesting one.

Can the footballer side step the barrister? Or will she throw the (statute) book at him? :)

Time will tell.....

Advertisement