Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo constituency GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd imagine FG will have a new standard bearer from the north of the county next time round. That is if they don't decide to put Dillon on a solo run on the basis that one seat is the best they can hope for going forward...

Can't see the ringer hanging up his boots just yet, he could see another two five year terms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭MacDanger

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair point.Simply stating Alan Dillon did not follow the perhaps all too rigid political career pathway.I do not know him but I'm sure he's a nice fellow and very intelligent but I'm unsure if political life is his game.We'll soon find out.

I have long stated I wouldn't give Michelle Mulherin a vote for the the multitude of self inflicted calamaties.

Vote gate did Lisa Chambers no good but I thought she appeared to perform well as a Brexit spokesperson.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fixed term. She may go the council route if she seeks reelection.

Can't see her being put forward again, it'll be time to give someone else a run at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭spakman

PARlance wrote: »
    Can't see her being put forward again, it'll be time to give someone else a run at it.

Why? She was one of their best performers and is only is barely in her mid 30s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

PressRun wrote: »
    The man doesn't have a thought in his head.

He will just be there to make up the numbers. I cannot imagine much input.

Sums up politics. Elected because he plays county. Similar strategy to Maria Walsh becoming an MEP.

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Very unfair comments about Dillon, I've had a small bit of contact with him professionally and found him to be good. Very easy to throw out comments like that without any basis

We've no idea what he'll be like as a politician, give the lad a chance. Everybody has to start somewhere and hes been elected to represent Mayo, maybe judge him after a spell in the dail

He's quite reserved and I don't think that helped him in the campaign. I think he'll be a good representative though, a smart guy, hard worker and determined. He may equally flop, but as you say, let's give him a chance first before writing him off.

It's funny that him "not being a politician" is a negative. The same people calling him out for this probably complain about politicians "being politicians".

I don't think Lisa and Michelle can blame anyone but themselves.

spakman wrote: »
    Why? She was one of their best performers and is only is barely in her mid 30s!

Not sure the definition of "best performer"?

Regardless of age, she hasn't got in in 2 GE's now and she was up against a newcomer with no political CV this time around. FG won't run her again imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

One of ye talking about Mulherin
    The other talking about Chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

What happens Mulherin / Chambers / McHuge / etc going forward depends on the government that's formed. For example can anyone really see a FF with SF and some Greens and Independents lasting four years without pissing each other off? Any government or combination won't be rock solid. We could all be back to this thread in 6 months looking at new results.

Dillion passed Mulherin by just 212 votes to get her eliminated. He could easily do something stupid due to lack of political experience within that 6 months and then Mulherin is back in.

If another election was that soon Ring would definitely stick around. In four years, who knows? He might have had enough and particularly if in four years it doesn't look like FG are going to get into power for whatever reason happens in the future.

I don't see Chambers leaving politics. If they've an election in 6 months or 4 years I'd expect her as the second FF candidate as she was unlucky this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

When you say fixed term? That term is up now surely?

Polling closes for the vocational panels on the 30th March this year.

Of course there's the university panels and the Taoiseach nominations.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    What happens Mulherin / Chambers / McHuge / etc going forward depends on the government that's formed. For example can anyone really see a FF with SF and some Greens and Independents lasting four years without pissing each other off? Any government or combination won't be rock solid. We could all be back to this thread in 6 months looking at new results.

Dillion passed Mulherin by just 212 votes to get her eliminated. He could easily do something stupid due to lack of political experience within that 6 months and then Mulherin is back in.

If another election was that soon Ring would definitely stick around. In four years, who knows? He might have had enough and particularly if in four years it doesn't look like FG are going to get into power for whatever reason happens in the future.

I don't see Chambers leaving politics. If they've an election in 6 months or 4 years I'd expect her as the second FF candidate as she was unlucky this time.

Very hard to see her out on the campaign trail in the next few months

Hard to tell in a few years, both her and Mulherin are solicitors/barristers. Very difficult to be picking up and dropping a profession like that I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Absolutely zero experience. Played county football, gets elected first time out in Mayo. Here’s 90k and 40k more in expenses. Give it a rattle fair play to ya.

I hate when irish people have the cheek to laugh at brexit or American politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Surprised at the amount of sympathy and "hard luck" pat on the backs that both Mulhern and Chambers are getting here TBH.

Mulhern has been nothing but an absolute embarrassment throughout her time in either the Dáil or the Seanad, incapable of opening her mouth without saying something stupid. From the phone calls to fornication to All Ireland tickets to anything really, she's been a joke. Been around now for over 10 years and achieved zero in all that time. Only got the Seanad last time because of Enda. She's no loss and I really hope that we won't see her back again.

As for Chambers, well, I'm delighted that Miss Goody Two Shoes has been given her just desserts! The people were not impressed with Votegate, her explanation and lack of a genuine apology cost her here. Her stance on a few social issues also seemed out of kilter with someone of her age profile and she seemed to be very conservative (or came across like that anyway). No more than Mulhern, she can thank Enda for her election last time out. As was pointed out on RTÉ last night, Chambers was very doubtful to get a seat last time out until Enda opened his mouth a week or so before the election and called the people of Castlebar "whingers", which led to them turning out to vote for Chambers. She'll be back though, unfortunately.

No fan of Dillon being catapulted in like Johnno to get the G.A.A. vote. Saw him on a panel at an event once and, while he seems like a genuinely nice guy, has absolutely zero charisma or personality and a poor public speaker. However, unlike others, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and judge him on his performance on the Dáil. Everyone has to start somewhere after all and, let's face it, every candidate (well, the winners anyway) has to have some sort of profile or they would not be running/successful in the first place! He didn't get as far in his football career as he did without dedication and being a hard worker, so he'll hopefully show both traits as a politician. You would imagine that he'll be well counselled by Enda and Ring so he'll have some experience behind him and he has to be less gaffe prone than Mulhern...........hasn't he??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Very hard to see her out on the campaign trail in the next few months

Hard to tell in a few years, both her and Mulherin are solicitors/barristers. Very difficult to be picking up and dropping a profession like that I'd imagine

Do you not reckon she's get a Senate Seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

BandMember wrote: »
    As for Chambers, well, I'm delighted that Miss Goody Two Shoes has been given her just desserts! The people were not impressed with Votegate, her explanation and lack of a genuine apology cost her here. Her stance on a few social issues also seemed out of kilter with someone of her age profile and she seemed to be very conservative (or came across like that anyway). No more than Mulhern, she can thank Enda for her election last time out. As was pointed out on RTÉ last night, Chambers was very doubtful to get a seat last time out until Enda opened his mouth a week or so before the election and called the people of Castlebar "whingers", which led to them turning out to vote for Chambers. She'll be back though, unfortunately.

How was chambers conservative? She was vocally pro repeal in the referendum. Don't think any of the other mayo candidates took that stance. She made a big error with the votegate thing but I think it's a shame Mayo is losing someone like her. Would probably have got a cabinet position in a FF led government.

I wouldn't be a FF supporter by the way, but she came across well in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BandMember wrote: »
    Her stance on a few social issues also seemed out of kilter with someone of her age profile and she seemed to be very conservative

Huh?:confused:

Chambers stood in the Dail and said that abortion regret is a "makey-uppy thing that doesn't exist". Not the most progressive of speeches.

She also lost a lot of respect and votes around Castlebar, particularly among younger voters I would imagine, when she used the loss of a young lads life to grandstand. That was the feeling anyway. I'm not sure on the exact details but the family were not happy to have their son being the subject of a Dail speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

The man doesn't have a thought in his head.

Alan Dillon (according to his LinkedIn page) has a double honors degree in Applied Mathematics and Biology and a Masters from the Royal College of Surgeons

(On an aside, what experience did Dara Calleary have before being elected TD?....a member of Ógra FF and a handy number at the Chamber of Commerce???)

Dudda wrote: »
    Do you not reckon she's get a Senate Seat?

Depends on the Taoiseach!

But yes if MM is the next Taoiseach then I would expect her to be near the top of the list. Shes a very capable politician and FF will want to keep her around the scene. Its more than probable that FF retake that seat from SF next time out. Especially if SF go into government

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    How was chambers conservative? She was vocally pro repeal in the referendum. Don't think any of the other mayo candidates took that stance. She made a big error with the votegate thing but I think it's a shame Mayo is losing someone like her. Would probably have got a cabinet position in a FF led government.

I wouldn't be a FF supporter by the way, but she came across well in interviews.

Very unlikely IMO, Calleary will have one, doubt they'd send two down to Mayo

• Advertisement

Very unlikely IMO, Calleary will have one, doubt they'd send two down to Mayo

I think she would have gotten one if elected. Brexit spokesperson was a huge role and stamp of approval from MM imo. And she came across very well in that role I thought.

Added to the fact the FF didn't have standout cabinet in the making, I think both would have got in. She was a bright star for FF, opening up Ard Fheis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Stewball

RedDevil55 wrote: »

I'd echo this.
    The only outgoing TD in Mayo I had any respect for.

Too lose out to a former GAA player who has ZERO political experience must be a bitter pill to swallow.

At least RCW got elected.

Stewball wrote: »
    I'd echo this.
    The only outgoing TD in Mayo I had any respect for.

Too lose out to a former GAA player who has ZERO political experience must be a bitter pill to swallow.

At least RCW got elected.

It'll be great when the IRA get to rubber stamp the decisions down here too, a real united Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-are-fine-gael-and-fianna-f%C3%A1il-refusing-to-go-into-coalition-with-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4151911

It'll be great when the IRA get to rubber stamp the decisions down here too, a real united Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-are-fine-gael-and-fianna-f%C3%A1il-refusing-to-go-into-coalition-with-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4151911

Yawn!
    That smearing didn't work during the campaign - time to change tactics G&R!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Stewball wrote: »
    Yawn!
    That smearing didn't work during the campaign - time to change tactics G&R!

David Cullinane shouts up the ra, the new Sinn Fein TD in Clare spent years not paying rent & her husband is a convicted drug dealer.
    The new Cavan TD Pauline Tully is the wife of the killer of Detective Garda Gerry McCabe.

What a motely crew you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

whitey1 wrote: »
    Alan Dillon (according to his LinkedIn page) has a double honors degree in Applied Mathematics and Biology and a Masters from the Royal College of Surgeons

(On an aside, what experience did Dara Calleary have before being elected TD?....a member of Ógra FF and a handy number at the Chamber of Commerce???)

That doesn't make him a politician. It's one thing to have a degree, it's another to be able to form and articulate political ideas that affect the country nationwide. I've never even heard Alan Dillon speak on any issue at all. What are his opinions? They ran him because he is a recognisable face and name, not because he's setting the world alight politically. Say what you want about SF, but their surge in popularity is in part to do with some of the dynamic individuals they have in the party - Ó Broin and Doherty are just two of the names I've heard people (young people especailly) mentioning in relation to SF. FF and FG don't have people of this ilk that are connecting with younger voters. This kind of thing isn't going to last for FG or FF. They need to revamp the images of their parties, both of them. I think FG are already looking to do this with their talk of not being interested in forming a government. I think they will go away and lick their wounds for a while and examine what needs to be done and change for next time.

Dara Calleary is another I would have little time for.

On Lisa Chambers, bizarrely, I heard some people saying they wouldn't give her a vote because of her personal situation. Couldn't believe my ears.

signostic wrote: »
    David Cullinane shouts up the ra, the new Sinn Fein TD in Clare spent years not paying rent & her husband is a convicted drug dealer.
    The new Cavan TD Pauline Tully is the wife of the killer of Detective Garda Gerry McCabe.

What a motely crew you support.

:D
    Perhaps I should support Charlie Flanagan and his RIC/Black&Tan commemoration instead, or former Minister Dara Murphy for taking/stealing wages & expenses while off promoting far-right parties in eastern Europe.

As for Tully, I'm sure she regrets her marriage to a killer - considering he almost stabbed her to death.
    We can't help who we fall in love with - just ask a former Fianna Fail TD ;)

That doesn't make him a politician. It's one thing to have a degree, it's another to be able to form and articulate political ideas that affect the country nationwide. I've never even heard Alan Dillon speak on any issue at all. What are his opinions? They ran him because he is a recognisable face and name, not because he's setting the world alight politically. Say what you want about SF, but their surge in popularity is in part to do with some of the dynamic individuals they have in the party - Ó Broin and Doherty are just two of the names I've heard people (young people especailly) mentioning in relation to SF. FF and FG don't have people of this ilk that are connecting with younger voters. This kind of thing isn't going to last for FG or FF. They need to revamp the images of their parties, both of them. I think FG are already looking to do this with their talk of not being interested in forming a government. I think they will go away and lick their wounds for a while and examine what needs to be done and change for next time.

On Lisa Chambers, bizarrely, I heard some people saying they wouldn't give her a vote because of her personal situation. Couldn't believe my ears.

I’d agree with you on O’Broin, SF couldn’t have had a stronger politician on the housing issue. He really was the one who made it such an issue. I’d love to see him minister of that department

I actually think Chambers is very strong, much stronger than Calleary.

FG mightn’t have people connecting with younger voters but Paschal O’D is probably the strongest minister for finance I’ve ever seen. Helen McEntee and Coveney were very strong on Brexit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Oh....so you want a blowhard and a plamauser, who’ll go around telling people what they want to hear......kinda like Bev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

whitey1 wrote: »
    Oh....so you want a blowhard and a plamauser, who’ll go around telling people what they want to hear......kinda like Bev

No?

Advertisement