Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken collarbone.

Options
  • 20-02-2017 4:56am

Was a bit stupid last night and fell of the bicycle.. I seem to break a bone every three years or so and the older I get, the more ridiculous I feel.

Anyways, I won't be working for a few weeks so it'll be CIV 6, Hitman and TV shows I guess.

Thank God the girlfriend is working from home these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Your shoulder probably won't be right ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Fcking cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Broke a collar bone and some ribs a few years ago while horse riding...It was sore!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two wheels bad, yo!
    Did you learn nothing from the moped crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Did you run a red light straight into a granny walking a zebra crossing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Your shoulder probably won't be right ever again.
    LOL. The joy of Monday is strong in you. Seeing as its strong with me too, OP, your gonna look like the hunchback of Notre dame for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I presume you've had it X rayed?

Depending on the type of break they might/might not need to intervene?

You'll be fine once its been properly assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have we lost the ability to post images?

I wanted to use this one and all!!

http://www.mrbeantvseries.co.uk/bn1301.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Hope you recover fully.
    Is the bike ok? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Ive gotten to the stage in my working career where im hoping I break something just to get the time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had a broken collarbone for my entire life! It happened while I was being born as I was a big baby and my mum was tiny. Quite common apparently.

No x-ray yet but it feels the exact same as when I broke it five years ago. I forgot how sore it is for the first few days even though it's a hairline fracture.

Bike is fine. Was cycling with gf and she rang a friend to take it while I got a taxi.

I'm glad I have my emergency fund so taking a few weeks off is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You should probably append 'have any of you ever broken a bone AH?' to the OP just so it reads less like a blog post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Was a bit stupid last night and fell of the bicycle.. I seem to break a bone every three years or so and the older I get, the more ridiculous I feel.

Anyways, I won't be working for a few weeks so it'll be CIV 6, Hitman and TV shows I guess.

Thank God the girlfriend is working from home these days.
    No x-ray yet but it feels the exact same as when I broke it five years ago. I forgot how sore it is for the first few days even though it's a hairline fracture.

Bike is fine. Was cycling with gf and she rang a friend to take it while I got a taxi.

I'm glad I have my emergency fund so taking a few weeks off is fine.
    That sounds rough, hope you aren't in too much pain.
    On the bright side plenty of time to perfect assassinations in Hitman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Broken collarbone? Try a complete torn right subscapularis tendon and a dislocated tendon of the long bicep.

It happened mid November last year when I was walking my dog. Some arsewipes thought it would be ok to block up a foot path with boxes. I tried to get around them but my idiot dog got spooked by the boxes and I ended up getting tripped up and falling.

I didn't realise the extent of the damage at the time because I also fell on my face, knee, and grazed my right palm too.

Six weeks later my shoulder was still in bother. Another doctor visit, MRI, consultant visit… shoulder op was performed this Friday.

Six weeks in a sling. Can't lift anything with my right arm. At least 12months recovery. I have to sleep on the couch because the bed is too soft and luckily the couch is an electric recliner.

The sling is driving me nuts because I'm one of those people that feels claustrophobic when my arm is restricted in a sling and I'm stressing my self out that the tendon could just tear off from the bone anchors.

But I need to also keep my wrist, elbow, and shoulder from freezing up too much.

So I'd take a broken collarbone bone anytime :o

Only kidding. I'm sure your in pain too op. Here's to a full recovery to you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

mad muffin wrote: »
    Broken collarbone? Try a complete torn right subscapularis tendon and a dislocated tendon of the long bicep.

It happened mid November last year when I was walking my dog. Some arsewipes thought it would be ok to block up a foot path with boxes. I tried to get around them but my idiot dog got spooked by the boxes and I ended up getting tripped up and falling.

worst dog ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hope you aren't in too much pain, it's supposed to be horrific even showering with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

worst dog ever.

I've realised over the years of dog ownership that that are all mad. This one, fire works? What fire works? But boxes?!?!?! Keep me safe from these devil spawn boxes!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i broke my collarbone in three places once, nightmare recovery and the shoulder has never sat back in properly,nothing anyone can do either

mad muffin wrote: »

Only kidding. I'm sure your in pain too op. Here's to a full recovery to you too.
    That sounds absolutely awful. Jesus what a nightmare from walking a dog.

And thanks. You, too!

• Advertisement

Healing really well because of no work and lots of care and can actually use that side to type and stuff.

But.. I took too much codeine (120mg-180mg a day) for those 10 days and today, I guess I have mild opiate withdrawals now that I've stopped. Clamminess, the sweats, leg shakes, a headache, anxiousness and sore eyes.

As long as it doesn't get worse, it's worth the relief they gave.

Ah but did you get any better at Hitman though? That's the important part.

Sounds rough, would drinking water help at all?

Ah but did you get any better at Hitman though? That's the important part.

Sounds rough, would drinking water help at all?

Yeah, I'm trying to get a lot into me but have a constant thirst.

Nah, no Hitman. For the first week, I couldn't hold a controller. Or sit on the couch. Or really use the mouse with my bad hand even. Broken collarbones suck.

This week, I got a lot of website work done and watched a lot of tutorials and learnt some new things. And played some Rocket League.

Back to work on Tuesday. Hoping I feel good again by then.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a lot into me but have a constant thirst.

Nah, no Hitman. For the first week, I couldn't hold a controller. Or sit on the couch. Or really use the mouse with my bad hand even. Broken collarbones suck.

This week, I got a lot of website work done and watched a lot of tutorials and learnt some new things. And played some Rocket League.

Back to work on Tuesday. Hoping I feel good again by then.
    A bad day then. At least it can only get better from here.

No worries, I was only messing I'd have been surprised if you had.
    Best of luck with part two of your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I broke mine in 09. It's the sorest injury I ever had.

Worse than my leg break and arm break.

However it healed up perfectly in the end and I have no lasting issues with it.

I broke mine in 09. It's the sorest injury I ever had.

Worse than my leg break and arm break.

However it healed up perfectly in the end and I have no lasting issues with it.

The third and fourth day were the worst.. I thought there was a nerve or some muscle trapped in the bone and I probably spent about 15 hours on my feet pacing the room over those two days.

It was the sort of "This needs to stop right now. Help. Help me." pain but it didn't stop. Like trapping your finger in a doorframe or standing on a plug and not being able to move and people around you not being able to help.

Never again, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The third and fourth day were the worst.. I thought there was a nerve or some muscle trapped in the bone and I probably spent about 15 hours on my feet pacing the room over those two days.

It was the sort of "This needs to stop right now. Help. Help me." pain but it didn't stop. Like trapping your finger in a doorframe or standing on a plug and not being able to move and people around you not being able to help.

Never again, hopefully.

Yeah the first week or so is rough. I found it impossible to get comfortable with it, I used to just lie down flat on my back in bed for hours.

Even with medication there was still a constant throbbing, pulsating pain. Like you say it's very similar to a trapped nerve or something. Thankfully it eased up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I broke mine racing a friend on bikes, I hit his back wheel and went over the handlebars, I was 15 or something at the time. Parents were on holidays and I was home alone. Sore as hell but had friends to help me out. Went to the 92 feile the week after ,no bother at all

Healing really well because of no work and lots of care and can actually use that side to type and stuff.

But.. I took too much codeine (120mg-180mg a day) for those 10 days and today, I guess I have mild opiate withdrawals now that I've stopped. Clamminess, the sweats, leg shakes, a headache, anxiousness and sore eyes.

As long as it doesn't get worse, it's worth the relief they gave.

Apparently more codeine will cure your ills
    You are welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I broke and comminuted my collar bone, broke some ribs and shattered my shoulder blade a few years ago. That was grand. It was the two weeks until medical intervention - third world problems eh!! I have more metal than bone up there now.

Advertisement