Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words do/did you find difficult to spell?

Options
  • 19-02-2017 2:33pm
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

Quite a bit lately, where I find myself in situations where I'm writing a word (that I use a lot) but a have never spelled. Of course there are also those words that I just have difficulty with... many of these words, I get wrong simply because I don't know whether it's an 'a' or an 'e' in a certain part of the word... something like 'relevant' or 'collagen' for example. Some words are difficult merely because they are extensions of the word itself - like 'busiest'. And after many years, I still don't know whether it's one 'c', or one 's' in 'occasion'!

Here some tricky words I thought of:

deny, fierce, shield, bewilder, rhubarb, stubbornness, inauguration, croissant, schizophrenic, buoyant, lasagne, artefact, surgeon, vouch, errand, genuinely, manoeuvre, haemorrhage, syllable, aisle, taut, mediterranean, loiter, motto, johnathan, accommodation, surreal, raisins, raspberry

Please post your own!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Paralisys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Ramalamadingdongbingbongdongo.

Nailed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Dislexeya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Separate. I always spell it "seperate" and then have to go back to correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Protoantidisesthablishmentarianism.

I always forget if the second last 'a' should be an 'e'.

The biggest hindrance to spelling seems to be that we mispronounce many words, or our regional accents put a sound in there that the spelling doesn't reflect.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Separate. I always spell it "seperate" and then have to go back to correct it.
    first genuine answer out of 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dyslexia, ironically enough.

Nessecary.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

As I'm scared of long words I try to avoid spelling hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Necessary.

Immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Apartment. Or is it apparment. Or apartmant....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't notice the op.

Kate...always spell it Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

The biggest hindrance to spelling seems to be that we mispronounce many words, or our regional accents put a sound in there that the spelling doesn't reflect.
    By the time I neared the end of that word I'd have forgotten what it was I was trying to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Logo

Can't pronounce anonymity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭munster87

I'm not sure when to use practice or practise. I don't want to know the proper usage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

"Accommodation" is my favourite one to misspell along with "satellite", which is ironic seeing as I used to work in the space industry :)

Words like marriage/carriage. I'll always type it '...aige' first and only know it's wrong because spell check underlines it.

I should remember which way the i and a go, but I never do. I'm always convinced it's the right way round because it looks right to me, and I'm always surprised I got it wrong. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I spell definitely as defiantly sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

You've put an unnecessary 'h' about half way through :)

Unless it was a test... cunning

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

Diahorea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

February.

That Is how it's spelled, yeah? F**king incredible. I've just sussed out, last week, that I've spent six f**king decades writing and saying " Febuary " ! I don't think I'll bother to try and change now. That moment's passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Leitrim and receive thank God for spell check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lots of people on boards spell brakes as breaks one man blames his dyslexia for it, I'm not exactly sure if he suffers from dyslexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I used to always spell it mutch. (much).... I like my tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Annaversary always gets me in a twist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Significant, I find it hard to spell when Im writing essays really quickly because you always pronounce the 'c' more as 'g' when you say it verbally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

But sometimes you have to spell incorrectly especially on boards.

I know it's sh1te but what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Necessary, proffession, liscense, subconcsious. It's the damn c's and s's and knowing if there is two of a letter or not :(

Calendar. Usually mix up the e and last a and have to go back and change.

Accommodation always gets me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Words like 'level(l)ing', 'level(l)ed' - I'm never sure if it is one L or two at the end.

It's not difficult to spell, but I find 'initiative' tricky to type.

Advertisement