Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to develop hotel on site of former Shannon Dry Cleaners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That could easily be mistaken for a modern prison.

m17 wrote: »
    The Dean Hotel galway
    Ghmbtic.jpg

What... I thought this is what they put through planning?

The-Dean.jpg

After this original design was deemed not in keeping with the street...

shannon-dry-cleaners-site-hotel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That could easily be mistaken for a modern prison.
    Absolutely awful looking. A potential rival for the Pálás in the ugliest building in Galway competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

m17 wrote: »
    The Dean Hotel galway
    Ghmbtic.jpg

Looks like its not finished loading on a dial up connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Another ugly building to make Galway worse, not better. Thanks to Dublin architects Lawrence and Long.. https://www.lawrenceandlong.com/news/the-dean-hotel-galway/

Moved to older specific thread as I think this will take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I forgot about all the design/architecture experts we are so lucky to have in Galway. If only one of them had been employed in this so far unfinished project.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't have to be an expert to know an ugly building when I see one :)

It's sad concrete boxes seems to overtake as the standard building look. There are so many much nicer examples dotted around the city; Galway Bay, The Westwood etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »
    Another ugly building to make Galway worse, not better. Thanks to Dublin architects Lawrence and Long.. https://www.lawrenceandlong.com/news/the-dean-hotel-galway/

Moved to older specific thread as I think this will take off.

I don't blame the architects. Architects are always trying to be different. I blame the planners for being stupid enough to allow this. Glad I don't live on Bohermore and have to look at this every day...

Zzippy wrote: »
    II blame the planners for being stupid enough to allow this.

Did the planners approve this? Or is it a case of easier to get forgiveness than permission?

It's sad concrete boxes seems to overtake as the standard building look. There are so many much nicer examples dotted around the city; Galway Bay, The Westwood etc

A game of opinions I suppose. I think the Galway Bay Hotel is one of the most awful buildings in Galway, twee dollshouse look, and such a landmark location.

• Advertisement

It's quite clearly not a box. It has curves, and is far less box like than the artist impressions from the original planning applications. Thankfully the artists impression isn't what it looks like, an oft seen, boring, run of the mill, unimaginative rectangle. The Galway Bay?! I assume you're on the wind-up, a kip, both outside and inside.

Did the planners approve this? Or is it a case of easier to get forgiveness than permission?

I don't spot anything like this in the planning application...
    https://plan.galwaycity.ie/?file_number=1741

If only one of them had been employed in this so far unfinished project.

This seems to be the finished look;

Vp7ph5L2OWYeIKpCD7ZE6HJzkF_skYy7bZnwq8rdEK2D-pepK74-UHv815J9oZNjmtMHROJ10oXxb3WKUJ6gHmoPzr_5lGBJVL_M7NAAlDG70vjkRpIyGNS69PU

11cb11_74b89ef520c746d7bb6d25236268f302~mv2.jpg

http://oakmount.ie/portfolio/the-dean-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Looking like a nice rooftop bar in the making, lovely for summer pints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

One common aspect.
    All 3 photomontages had trees.
    Whats the chance of trees been installed on this section of Bohermore?

One common aspect.
    All 3 photomontages had trees.
    Whats the chance of trees been installed on this section of Bohermore?

Highly unlikely unless the footpaths are being widened. I'd imagine they weren't an actual requirement of planners, more of a 'nice to have' in the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks like not a straight section on it so like most houses built in the boom and back in the 1920s

The Westwood is long gone - blocky student apartments there now. A pity really, was a local amenity.
    Galway Bay Hotel is nothing special at all, very ordinary, to big for the style of architecture used.
    Best looking newish Hotels in Galway City? The Galmont i.e the Radisson or the Connacht Hotel

Highly unlikely unless the footpaths are being widened. I'd imagine they weren't an actual requirement of planners, more of a 'nice to have' in the pics.

These photomontages are the ones that get printed in the local paper. Clearly remember the City Tribune printed one of these montages on the Front Page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

etxp wrote: »
    Looking like a nice rooftop bar in the making, lovely for summer pints!!

The Cork and Dublin ones have rooftop restaurants, think there called 'Sophie' or something but they are pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The Westwood is long gone - blocky student apartments there now. A pity really, was a local amenity.
    Galway Bay Hotel is nothing special at all, very ordinary, to big for the style of architecture used.
    Best looking newish Hotels in Galway City? The Galmont i.e the Radisson or the Connacht Hotel

How did they get away with the Westwood Spar sticking out towards road, on a tight bend and leaving it with a ramped footpath?

Andrea B. wrote: »
    How did they get away with the Westwood Spar sticking out towards road, on a tight bend and leaving it with a ramped footpath?

Because it was Galway City Council at work here, they wanted balanced development.
    They felt the Western Regional Garda station on the Dublin Road opposite GMIT on the East side of the City needed a similar matching architectural feature on the Western side of the City.
    So they gladly gave permission when the Developer submitted. (at least its outbound on the Western side of the City. rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Just wait until there is another series of extra long wind turbine parts for the wind farms in oughterard and Moycullen. That should make the new corner layout very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Because it was Galway City Council at work here, they wanted balanced development.
    They felt the Western Regional Garda station on the Dublin Road opposite GMIT on the East side of the City needed a similar matching architectural feature on the Western side of the City.
    So they gladly gave permission when the Developer submitted. (at least its outbound on the Western side of the City. rolleyes:)

I was more referring to the protrusion of SPAR entrance right out to footpath and making it necessary to ramp the footpath.

I was more referring to the protrusion of SPAR entrance right out to footpath and making it necessary to ramp the footpath.

I was been sarcastic. ;)
    Its a very similar issue though - the building boundary is on the public footpath boundary. Would expect this in City Centre, but in Suburban setting it is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Dont know what the love with the colour grey is

Looks like it is temporary.
    See the following
    https://plan.galwaycity.ie/?file_number=20357

The developer wants to move the store entrance to the West facing facade.
    Might be worth throwing in a submission asking footpath to be restored all the same.

Probably could branch last 5/6 posts into a new thread as NOT related to "The Dean"

Looks like it is temporary.
    See the following
    https://plan.galwaycity.ie/?file_number=20357

The developer wants to move the store entrance to the West facing facade.
    Might be worth throwing in a submission asking footpath to be restored all the same.

Probably could branch last 5/6 posts into a new thread as NOT related to "The Dean"
    I spoke too soon
    No indication in the planning files at all that they will remove this - so would 100% be worth putting a submission asking footpath to be restored to its original height. The ramp and railings are no longer needed for this NEW entrance from what I can see.

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting this by the way

Advertisement