Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there ever an Irish gaming scene?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I used to work in the Havok offices.....

Doing security and Havok was the one company whose offices we were never allowed to go into

Did you suspect anything deeply, deeply sinister going on there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh for sure, web 2.0, the end of dial-up etc., around the middle of the 00's. The newsagents had plenty of gaming mags up to then. Some consumers must prefer hard-copy, the prices are steep enough -- €8 - €9. I haven't bought a magazine in ten years.

I'm only buying Edge these days.
    I used to be an occasional buyer of other games mags, back in the 80's and 90's, console specific ones like the 3DO or Playstation magazine, also some PC mags from the States back in the 90's, Boot being a fave, and US games mags like EGM too for a number of years.
    But, over time, it's been pared back to Edge, simply for the journalism and articles, things that tend not to be a priority in a five minute Youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

So is this all to say that there was no bedroom coding scene in Ireland around the early 80s to the best of the recollection of anyone here who is old enough to / can remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

briany wrote: »
    So is this all to say that there was no bedroom coding scene in Ireland around the early 80s to the best of the recollection of anyone here who is old enough to / can remember?

In my teenage years I used to code on the spectrum

One of my earliest projects is below if you fancy trying it out

10 PRINT "BOOBIES";
    20 GOTO 10

That ; is very important :p

Sparks43 wrote: »
    In my teenage years I used to code on the spectrum

One of my earliest projects is below if you fancy trying it out

10 PRINT "BOOBIES";
    20 GOTO 10

That ; is very important :p

Have just realised that this was my 4000th post on boards.

I've wasted my life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

10 GOTO 20
    20 GOTO 10

A classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have just realised that this was my 4000th post on boards.

I've wasted my life :(

True, at this point you should have 20,000 posts!
    That's time wasted when you could have been here, posting 16,000 more things about Repton!
    Wasted time indeed.....

Inviere wrote: »
    10 GOTO 20
    20 GOTO 10

A classic

The basic equivalent of an endless loop

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Inviere wrote: »
    10 GOTO 20
    20 GOTO 10

A classic

The basic equivalent of an endless loop

:)

Insert Simpsons "Thats the joke" funny

eddhorse wrote: »
    Insert Simpsons "Thats the joke" funny

But, what is it?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, what is it?

I've never seen one before but I'm guessing it's a white hole!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Read in the paper today PlayerUnknown of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is from Donegal. Bit mad that he just made the Battle Royale mod with pretty much no previous experience and now he's a multimillionaire a couple of years later.

briany wrote: »
    Mostly, I have thought that the Irish gaming scene was entirely informed by the UK one and for all intents and purposes was part of it, really, but was wondering if there was ever anything at all in terms of games and games magazines that had a primarily Irish origin, circulation, sensibility and/or appeal, or if the numbers of people involved at the time simply didn't support anything being produced.

Considering the OP, I would say that the Irish market/demographic is just too similar, if not indistinguishable from the UK market to warrant specific games or publications.
    I would say that the difference between Irish games players and British games players is no greater than that between games players from England, Scotland or Wales, or Manchester vs Cornish gamers for that matter.
    In a nutshell, there's no real place for such Irish centred gaming media and I think people would reject it broadly if they did.
    The Irish made things described in this thread have been made with universal appeal in mind, so themselves aren't hiberno-centric themselves.

Even that most Irish of games, the GAA titles on the PS2 were made by an Australian company who re-purposed their Aussie Rules game engine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Games

Advertisement