Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Branded Contact Lenses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Basil3 wrote:
    Had a quick look, and they're a fair bit more expensive than the Acuvue Oasys I get through Vision Direct. Currently pay about €60 for 6 months, would be €90 with Daysoft. I think I'll give them a try, though. Haven't used dailies before, never had the need.

To be fair you're not comparing like with like there, Daysoft are generally the cheapest dailies around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mszylwo3bnaxg7

I had a bad experience with daysoft lenses. Changed to them from accuvue and after a few months ran into problems. Was wearing them for about 12 hours a day. Eyes started to feel dry and vision was impaired temporarily (more than usual!), had to use hydrating drops for a month to get back to my normal level of vision. Had been wearing contacts for years with no problems before this. most people seem to get on fine with them but just a word of warning for anyone who does find them drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

I also had a bad experience with daysoft - used them for about 3 years until over the course of about 2 weeks my eyes just dried up and couldn't take them anymore. Tried not wearing them for a week, but ended up in the eye and ear hospital my eyes were still so red and inflamed. There was no infection, thank god, but they said the lenses were too rigid and cutting into my eyes. I now believe any optician or ophthalmologist when they say to only use optician's brands. My eyes are still dry (18 months later) which they've told me is due to the damage done by lenses. Still using lubricating eye drops every day. A lot of people I know still use daysoft, but just be careful, they can cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Just stumbled on this thread. Haven't worn contacts in years. Partly because of the cost. Looks like things moved on are cheaper now, excuse my ignorance, I have my prescription for glasses. Can I use this to order contacts or do I need to go to an optician for a contact prescription. Not sure about base size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Just stumbled on this thread. Haven't worn contacts in years. Partly because of the cost. Looks like things moved on are cheaper now, excuse my ignorance, I have my prescription for glasses. Can I use this to order contacts or do I need to go to an optician for a contact prescription. Not sure about base size etc.

The prescription is the same and the size is standard but you can book a free contact len checkup with specsavers atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

The prescription is NOT necessarily the same. You should have a contact lens test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Wasn't really my issue...he just said that in the long term I should move to hydragel, that wearing the daysoft type for prolonged periods could be problematic in the long run. Apparently veins in the eyes can start to move to the front from the constant wearing of them.

And actually he is correct. I also go to specsavers for my tests and tell them I use daysoftcontacts and my Optometrist says that is no problem at all. But the difference is I don't use them all day, I use glasses while at work (computer) and use the contacts only in the evenings for a few hours for sport use, etc.

He says that is the perfect use for them and no issues at all. However he did warn against using them all day, that they aren't designed for that sort of use and end up drying out the eyes. That if I started using them like that, to come back to him and he would recommend, different monthly lenses for that.

Don't get me wrong, daysoft lenes are brilliant, but you have to understand what they are designed for. They are daily disposables, which are designed for less frequent use, they aren't really used to all day use.
    The prescription is the same and the size is standard but you can book a free contact len checkup with specsavers atm

It definitely isn't. My glasses prescription isn't the same as my lens prescription. Things like the shape of your eye needs to be taken into account for lenses, which is a less of an issue for glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Found the daysoft lenses to be awful. Was in agony half way through the day with how Dry they made my eyes . +1 for V direct

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

I'm definitely going to look into this, but just to let people know about the Vision Express offer. Their Contact7 scheme gives you free aftercare and checkups, free delivery, 50% (if I recall correctly) off frames, and free general eye tests. It's €13 a month, depending on what brand or style of lenses you want.

I'm definitely looking into the options above however. Even if Vision Express costs slightly more, you might save with the free benefits.

Update: I use Dailies Aquacomfort Plus. They're €14.90 each on the site above, but €13 each on the Contact7 scheme.

So that's €13 for all that and a month's worth of lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ We heard you the first time.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

Esel wrote: »
    ^ We heard you the first time.

And the second, and the third!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You alright Dave? xoxo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

The only downside of them is they have a strange shipping charging method, shipping is priced per months supply, so if you buy three months; shipping is 3x 1 months cost. They should only charge one shipping amount per order. Current model gives no discount for bulk order

Looks like i was not the only unhappy customer with their postage charges as they have just reduced bulk orders as follows as per an email

"Following a review of postal charges and our packaging costs we are able to reduce the price of our 6-month order delivery charge from €12.00 to €7.80 and our 3-month from €6.00 to €4.80. We have also reduced the price of our express delivery to a flat fee of €10.80. These changes will be effective from the 22nd of March.

Unfortunately our 1-month order delivery charge has to be revised upwards from €2.00 to €2.40. This will not be effective until Monday 1st May 2017. For more information on our delivery services, please visit our website. "

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

New app out for these guys www.feelgoodcontacts.ie 5% off all future orders if ordered through the app, code APP5 - just got the email. Not sure what the link is for the app but searching for it wont take much. 10% off first orders is still active using code 7RKQZKMN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I've used Daysoft for years and recommended them to anyone who'd listen, but definitely finding them drying out my eyes half way through the day more recently. Like a "me" change rather than a Daysoft change, but they don't really suit me anymore.

Who's next best in that case? Is there a recommended supplier for monthly's as was thinking of going in that direction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

I have to wear Dailies Total 1 because my eyes are very particular, I have a dry band due to an incomplete blink. I have tried every brand and these are the only ones that suited me!! They're between €25-€35 per month and I've a diff prescription in both eyes so I usually pay in or around €60 for a months supply. Safe to say they're only for special occasions!

Advertisement