Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski or snowboard?

Options
  • 09-02-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all, We are bringing our kids 8 and 6 for a 4 day trip to the Cairngorms in a fortnight. I've skiied, never boarded but was thinking of encouraging them to opt for snowboarding rather than skis. Less gear for me to carry is one positive but I'd appreciate feedback on what's easier to learn and more appealing for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

searay wrote: »
    Hi all, We are bringing our kids 8 and 6 for a 4 day trip to the Cairngorms in a fortnight. I've skiied, never boarded but was thinking of encouraging them to opt for snowboarding rather than skis. Less gear for me to carry is one positive but I'd appreciate feedback on what's easier to learn and more appealing for them?

Less gear is definitely a bonus, especially at the end of the day when you're tired and wet, or when you're trying to get on bus, etc. At the end of the day though, let them decide, life will be easier for everyone :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The learning curve on skis is easier, less time on the ground which may mean a more comfortable experience for them. Kids skis are short and they wont have poles so there isn't really any difference in the gear (apart from boots of course!). Bringing our 3 and 4 year olds skiing this year, if they want to change down the line grand but want them to have the most positive experience possible and make them feel like they progressed so that they will want to do it again. 8 is prob old enough to decide for them selfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

kids are attracted to the board.
    My advice is to let them do what they want but both doing same thing together

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I would direct them towards skiing at first.Just as it is easier,they will get a feel for the snow, going at speed etc.
    I started at skiing,found it easy and then progressed to snowboarding which I am addicted to.At a young age I would make it as easy and as fun for them as possible so they will want to go back and have fond memories of it.

Advertisement