Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distributing sky over Cat5e / Cat6

Options
  • 06-02-2017 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭

Moving into a new build,

there is a common dish for the development (20 houses), each house has a comms cabinet in the utility where the satellite feed comes in and there is a network switch and a few banks of coaxial connections.

Each room has a number of coaxial connections and network points.

Im a little fuzzy on the exact details so ill update this as ci go along (not sure if wired cat5/5e or 6) etc.

So, i want to get sky in, dont need multi room but would like to be able to view sky in two rooms. Also where i am putting my tv in the second tv room has one coaxial point where i am locating the tv, the other point with two is on another wall.

im proposing to have the sky q box in the rack, hdmi splitter, two hdmi cables connected to one of these and connect that into the switch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Esynic-Repeater-Ethernet-Function/dp/B00YC3BWL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486377282&sr=8-2&keywords=cat6+to+hdmi

then have two more at each tv.

is that the most sensible way to do this?

sorry i realise the post is a mess hopefully someone can make sense of it!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You won't be able to do that, in that manner.

Those HDMI to Cat6 balluns use cat6 cable, but they don't use ethernet, different protocols. Thus they wouldn't work through an ethernet switch.

There are however a couple of ways you could do this.

1) Since you are getting Sky Q in, it supports streaming to Sky Q mini boxes over ethernet.

So you could either:
    - Get Sky Q box in the comms cabinet and then two Sky Q mini boxes at each TV, connected over the ethernet.

- Or if those coax cable you mention allow it, the main Sky Q box under the main TV and then one Sky Q mini box in the second room, connected over ethernet.

The advantage of either of these approaches is that you can use both TV's at the same time, watching different channels, recordings, etc. independently.

2) Sky Q box in the comms room, connected to a HDMI switch, two of those balluns connected to each hdmi switch and directly connected to each of those individual cat6 cables.

Note you most connect the balluns directly to the individual cat6 cable, there can't be an ethernet switch in the middle between the sending and receiving balluns.

Also note you won't be able to use those cat6 cables that are connected to the balluns for ethernet, they have to be used as dedicated "virtual" HDMI cables.

Finally note, with this setup, you have to watch the same thing on both TV's simultaneously. You can't watch different shows, etc. on the two TV's at the same time.

So it depends on what you are trying to do, if you are already going to the expensive of getting Sky Q anyway, one of the first options is better, as this is pretty much what Sky Q is designed for. The second option is more if you are looking to save money and go freesat or if you want to hide away your gear for aesthetic, etc. reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bk wrote: »

Those HDMI to Cat6 balluns use cat6 cable, but they don't use ethernet, different protocols. Thus they wouldn't work through an ethernet switch.

1) Since you are getting Sky Q in, it supports streaming to Sky Q mini boxes over ethernet.

So you could either:
    - Get Sky Q box in the comms cabinet and then two Sky Q mini boxes at each TV, connected over the ethernet.

- Or if those coax cable you mention allow it, the main Sky Q box under the main TV and then one Sky Q mini box in the second room, connected over ethernet.

The advantage of either of these approaches is that you can use both TV's at the same time, watching different channels, recordings, etc. independently.

2) Sky Q box in the comms room, connected to a HDMI switch, two of those balluns connected to each hdmi switch and directly connected to each of those individual cat6 cables.

Note you most connect the balluns directly to the individual cat6 cable, there can't be an ethernet switch in the middle between the sending and receiving balluns.

Also note you won't be able to use those cat6 cables that are connected to the balluns for ethernet, they have to be used as dedicated "virtual" HDMI cables.

Finally note, with this setup, you have to watch the same thing on both TV's simultaneously. You can't watch different shows, etc. on the two TV's at the same time.

So it depends on what you are trying to do, if you are already going to the expensive of getting Sky Q anyway, one of the first options is better, as this is pretty much what Sky Q is designed for. The second option is more if you are looking to save money and go freesat or if you want to hide away your gear for aesthetic, etc. reasons.

thank you

believe it or not skyq isnt the expensive option, i cant get virgin for now so sky tv and BB is 49 a month, around the same price as eir bb so i may as well get the whole lot for now,

ideally i dont want to add the expense of sky multi room and two mini boxes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cyrus wrote: »
    thank you

believe it or not skyq isnt the expensive option, i cant get virgin for now so sky tv and BB is 49 a month, around the same price as eir bb so i may as well get the whole lot for now,

ideally i dont want to add the expense of sky multi room and two mini boxes

Yup, that is a good deal. But the issue of cost tends to be in year 2, multiroom, sport, etc.

In that case you could go with option two, with all the caveats in mind that I mentioned.

Yup, that is a good deal. But the issue of cost tends to be in year 2, multiroom, sport, etc.

In that case you could go with option two, with all the caveats in mind that I mentioned.

yes indeed, i wont be taking sports, nor will i be renewing without a hefty discount, ive gotten used to the annual virgin media bartering session :P

thanks for your advice, im actually meeting the installer on site thursday so ill get more info then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

So you could either:

How do you change channel when the Sky Q box is in the comms cabinet?

• Advertisement

How do you change channel when the Sky Q box is in the comms cabinet?

there is an IR receiver on the other side of the cat6 - hdmi balun

so having got some further info on what we have and getting an eye watering quote from the guys that installed it to set it all up, heres what they are suggesting i need (and some clarity over whats there):

in the utility room there is a small rack. Every room in the house is wired for co ax and cat 6.

We dont have a huge amount of tvs, 40" HD tv in the kitchen and a 49" 4k in the lounge.

At the moment we will have basic Sky q and maybe a freesat box also.

What i would like to do is:

Convert the fibre optic to co ax
    Have the sky q box and the freesat box in the rack
    Have a 4x4 matrix sending the signal via cat 6 to the two tvs (and have the ability to add 2 more)

and i want to be able to change sources and control over IR at each point.

whats my best bet?

4k isnt important to me right now and my budget is limited so happy to upgrade to that later on, that said i want to buy decent equipment that works as it should

Cyrus so getting the cables in the wall is the hard part, setting it all up should be relatively straight forward if you are handy with basic tech stuff.
    Convert the fibre optic to co ax

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which fibre optic cable?
    Have the sky q box and the freesat box in the rack
    Have a 4x4 matrix sending the signal via cat 6 to the two tvs (and have the ability to add 2 more)

and i want to be able to change sources and control over IR at each point.

whats my best bet?

Yup, that is all doable.

Now I personally don't have these, but they have good reviews on Amazon, so they should be a good guide to what you need.

4x4 Matrix:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YINGLUN-Blue-Ray-Satellite-Receiver-Projector/dp/B01J2SESXA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487157899&sr=8-4&keywords=4x4+hdmi+matrix

If money is tight, then a 2x4 Matrix is a lot cheaper and would still do the job based on what you describe here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Audio-Video-Accessories/Belfen-switch-splitter-this-switcher-compact-selector-headphone/B01GC6LO50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487158293&sr=8-3&keywords=2x4+hdmi+matrix

You will need two sets of HDMI Baluns, 1 pair for each device.

These look like really good ones, even support 4k:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDBaseT-Extender-Single-bidirectional-Control/dp/B013T5S4W8/ref=pd_sbs_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=55359WJXQS8K78Y66D4T

Cheaper versions exist if you want to save money and don't need 4k. But these ones look really impressive I have to say. I might check them out myself.

These HDMI baluns will take your IR signal from your remote in the rooms with the TV's back to the utility room to control the devices and matrix.

Logitech Harmony is also possibly an option, though you don't need it initially if money is tight.

One important thing to note. The HDMI baluns need to connect directly to each end of the cat6 cable, there can't be any ethernet switch or similar between them. And you won't be able to use these two cat6 cables for general ethernet.

Cyrus so getting the cables in the wall is the hard part, setting it all up should be relatively straight forward if you are handy with basic tech stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which fibre optic cable?

Yup, that is all doable.

Now I personally don't have these, but they have good reviews on Amazon, so they should be a good guide to what you need.

4x4 Matrix:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YINGLUN-Blue-Ray-Satellite-Receiver-Projector/dp/B01J2SESXA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487157899&sr=8-4&keywords=4x4+hdmi+matrix

If money is tight, then a 2x4 Matrix is a lot cheaper and would still do the job based on what you describe here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Audio-Video-Accessories/Belfen-switch-splitter-this-switcher-compact-selector-headphone/B01GC6LO50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487158293&sr=8-3&keywords=2x4+hdmi+matrix

You will need two sets of HDMI Baluns, 1 pair for each device.

These look like really good ones, even support 4k:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDBaseT-Extender-Single-bidirectional-Control/dp/B013T5S4W8/ref=pd_sbs_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=55359WJXQS8K78Y66D4T

Cheaper versions exist if you want to save money and don't need 4k. But these ones look really impressive I have to say. I might check them out myself.

These HDMI baluns will take your IR signal from your remote in the rooms with the TV's back to the utility room to control the devices and matrix.

Logitech Harmony is also possibly an option, though you don't need it initially if money is tight.

One important thing to note. The HDMI baluns need to connect directly to each end of the cat6 cable, there can't be any ethernet switch or similar between them. And you won't be able to use these two cat6 cables for general ethernet.

Hi thanks for this! will have a read through.

already have a logitech harmony hub so that should assist

So the original satellite signal is coming into the house via a fibre optic cable not co axial. this needs to be converted, i am lead to believe now that sky will sort this :confused:

have read about those neet units elsewhere, they are good apparently

So the original satellite signal is coming into the house via a fibre optic cable not co axial. this needs to be converted, i am lead to believe now that sky will sort this :confused:

Ah, right, that is relatively unusual, I assume you are living in an apartment and have a shared satellite system. This may cause complications with your Freesat setup. I'm not sure Freesat is compatible with this Sky system. I'm not 100% about that, but just FYI something to watch out for.

• Advertisement

Ah, right, that is relatively unusual, I assume you are living in an apartment and have a shared satellite system. T

actually a small housing development but yes same idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i've seen the optical systems described before, it pretty much makes your coax to each room redundant and as bk said it rules out freesat, unless you can mount your own sat dish and take a direct feed off that. anytime i;ve seen these optical systems mentioned however they have been put in place with rules prohibiting the use of your own dish. sky/other provider put them in place at their own expense on the basis that you have no choice but to take their system and they make the money back

mossym wrote: »
    i've seen the optical systems described before, it pretty much makes your coax to each room redundant and as bk said it rules out freesat, unless you can mount your own sat dish and take a direct feed off that. anytime i;ve seen these optical systems mentioned however they have been put in place with rules prohibiting the use of your own dish. sky/other provider put them in place at their own expense on the basis that you have no choice but to take their system and they make the money back

yep the guys that wired it said there was no point in doing coax but the developer asked for it

apparently i can get freesat? so maybe the developer installed the dish themselves? it wasnt sky anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what's a ballun?

apparently i can get freesat? so maybe the developer installed the dish themselves? it wasnt sky anyway

would be very interested to know how that works, if you find out can you let us know

normally with satellite you need a direct connection to one of the lnb on the dish to get a signal, as you need to tune in either the vertical or horionatal signals. that's why there is a voltage on the cable from your sat bx back it, it uses it to control which signals the sat dish sends back down the cable.

when you have an apartment or a lot of houses using one dish, it's impractical to have a lnb or two per user, so you take all the signals from the dish, put them on an optical link, and send them to every apartment/hoiuse where they are then split back out into individual signals. thats my understanding of it anyway .

i've never seen a freesat box that can handle the signals from one of these optical systems nativelly, that's not to say it doesn't exist, but perhaps there is something in each apartment that converts the optical back into an electic signal on copper wire that the freesat can hook to.

as i said, if you get any more info can you post back

lawred2 wrote: »
    what's a ballun?

they're connectors on the end of a cable that convert from one signal type to another. used be for balanced (differntial signal)to unbalanced conversion (referenced to ground) which is where the name came from, but the name has been used a bit more widespread now and has been used for any type of signal conversion even where the ground reference isn't changed.

in the use case here, they convert a standard hdmi signal onto a cat5/6 cable for transmission at one end, and back to hdmi at the other end

would be very interested to know how that works, if you find out can you let us know

normally with satellite you need a direct connection to one of the lnb on the dish to get a signal, as you need to tune in either the vertical or horionatal signals. that's why there is a voltage on the cable from your sat bx back it, it uses it to control which signals the sat dish sends back down the cable.

when you have an apartment or a lot of houses using one dish, it's impractical to have a lnb or two per user, so you take all the signals from the dish, put them on an optical link, and send them to every apartment/hoiuse where they are then split back out into individual signals. thats my understanding of it anyway .

i've never seen a freesat box that can handle the signals from one of these optical systems nativelly, that's not to say it doesn't exist, but perhaps there is something in each apartment that converts the optical back into an electic signal on copper wire that the freesat can hook to.

as i said, if you get any more info can you post back

i could be totally wrong so bear with me, but my understanding is that the signal comes in optically and at that point you have a converter that changes it to co axial, after that you use it as normal

sky/other provider put them in place at their own expense on the basis that you have no choice but to take their system and they make the money back

Of course Sky would say that, but it is complete BS. A decent developer or management company wouldn't agree with that and would call their bluff and simply say they will get Virgin in instead.

This almost always leads to Sky agreeing to doing for free anyway. Because having the chance to get even 50% of people is much better then 0%.

It has become much more common for new developments to have both Sky, Eir and Virgin and for all of their infrastructure to be installed for free.

The way it use to work for regular Sky HD was that the optic fibre terminated in a box that converted to 4 regular coax connections, which both Sky HD boxes and Freesat boxes could then connect to. Sky HD boxes didn't directly work with the fibre.

Sky Q however is a completely new system and works in a totally different way, so that is why I'm not sure if it will work with Freesat. Might be worth asking over on the Satellite forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

This almost always leads to Sky agreeing to doing for free anyway. Because having the chance to get even 50% of people is much better then 0%.
    sorry, that's what i meant, sky do it for free(their own expense) on the expectation they(sky) make the money back from the users.as you said developers can put in anyone they want

virgin aren't available for a lot of these outside dublin/bigger cities though, and eir offering are pretty new. i know of at least two or three people that were told when they moved in it was sky or nothing.

The way it use to work for regular Sky HD was that the optic fibre terminated in a box that converted to 4 regular coax connections, which both Sky HD boxes and Freesat boxes could then connect to. Sky HD boxes didn't directly work with the fibre.
    ah, that's the bit of the puzzle i was missing, the converter has 4 standard Coax outputs and mimics the operation of an lnb. in that case the user can just hook up any freesat box.for some reason i thought the sky boxes that worked with the optical system were none standard. that makes a lot more sense

sorry, that's what i meant, sky do it for free(their own expense) on the expectation they(sky) make the money back from the users.as you said developers can put in anyone they want

Actually what I'm saying is, even if the developer doesn't give them exclusivity, Sky/Virgin/Eir will still all install it for free.

Both Sky and Virgin were installed in my apartment buildings by each of those companies at no cost to the management company or customers. I know as I was heavily involved in it.
    virgin aren't available for a lot of these outside dublin/bigger cities though, and eir offering are pretty new. i know of at least two or three people that were told when they moved in it was sky or nothing.

Virgin are now expanding big outside the cities. Obviously not rural one offs, but they are certainly interested in any big new development.

Everyone in the country is entitled to an Eir phone line, as part of their Universal Service Obligation. If someone orders it, Eir most install and no developer/management company can block it. So it is very much in their interest to get Eir in up front.

Of course that doesn't guarantee eFirbe VDSL is available on that line, might be crappy ADSL. However Eir are now heavily pushing FTTH for new developments.

Of course Sky would also like if such developments have Eir, as Sky Broadband is simply reselling Eir's broadband service.

Things have gotten a lot more competitive now in this market.
    ah, that's the bit of the puzzle i was missing, the converter has 4 standard Coax outputs and mimics the operation of an lnb. in that case the user can just hook up any freesat box.for some reason i thought the sky boxes that worked with the optical system were none standard. that makes a lot more sense

While that is true for Sky HD, note I'm not sure it is true for Sky Q, which is new and very different.

• Advertisement

Actually what I'm saying is, even if the developer doesn't give them exclusivity, Sky/Virgin/Eir will still all install it for free.

t.

understood, and where there are options i'm sure no-one will promise exclusivity, i didn't mean to suggest that.apologies if it came across that way. but you go back a few year, eir did not have a tv service, even if you had broadband. virgin, even if expanding are still limited to certain areas, and for some spots the only show in town was sky.

and even now i know of a couple of apartment blocks that are sky only offerings. like you said though, they are rural (in commuter towns), but they sure are a nice money maker for sky given no competition. no virgin, and the broadband is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I thought Sky Q became a power line adapter and shared the TV with the mini box via the main box.

No need for your extra kit just the main box at your tv and then the mini boxes around the house. No cables to run just plug her in.

afatbollix wrote: »
    I thought Sky Q became a power line adapter and shared the TV with the mini box via the main box.

No need for your extra kit just the main box at your tv and then the mini boxes around the house. No cables to run just plug her in.

The last I heard, the ethernet over power line hasn't been enabled on Sky Q as it is probably faulty. So your options are either wifi or ethernet.

Definitely use Ethernet if you can, the Sky Q mini boxes only use 2.4GHz wifi and their performance is pretty power.

The only Sky Q wifi mesh thing is all actually pretty poor and just slick marketing from Sky.

Also some people like to hide their Sky Q box away in a utility room, rather then have it under the TV. It can make your living room look much nicer and neater and can keep expensive boxes away from sticky fingers.

so good news,

this is what i need to convert the optical to a sky Q compatible signal

http://www.gionlineshop.co.uk/product_detail.php?code=D000199&product=SKYQ%20dSCR%20GTU&sm=4

im now actively trying to avoid the folks that did the install as all they want to do is charge me money for doing things i can do myself.

i will get this, a mhub anywhere 4k matrix and i should be good to go.

any idea if it would be possible to split off one of these so i have more than two satellite outputs? presume not but maybe :confused:

any idea if it would be possible to split off one of these so i have more than two satellite outputs? presume not but maybe :confused:

I'd double check on the sat forum. The guys there would likely know better.

you can't split sat outputs, each receiver you connect to it tries to send a DC voltage back up the line to control the LNB at the other end to decide what polarization of the signal is sent down from the dish. if you split teh two boxes will just fight each other for control.

it's not like antenna connections where the whole signal is on the line constantly.

so short answer, unfortunately, no

ok thanks lads, its probably not an issue, realistically i wont need more than two boxes, a sky q and a saorview combi box, maybe add an apple tv and something else to the mix for the 4*4 matrix

you can't split sat outputs, each receiver you connect to it tries to send a DC voltage back up the line to control the LNB at the other end to decide what polarization of the signal is sent down from the dish. if you split teh two boxes will just fight each other for control.

it's not like antenna connections where the whole signal is on the line constantly.

so short answer, unfortunately, no

I wouldn't be certain of that. Sky Q and the fibre system use a completely new LNB that works in a completely different way to the original Sky HD set up.

For instance Sky Q boxes have 12 tuners in them and all tuners can work independent over just two cables!

But I'm not certain how this all works with Freesat as it is all pretty new, so well worth checking with more experienced folks over on the sat forum.

I wouldn't be certain of that. Sky Q and the fibre system use a completely new LNB that works in a completely different way to the original Sky HD set up.

For instance Sky Q boxes have 12 tuners in them and all tuners can work independent over just two cables!

But I'm not certain how this all works with Freesat as it is all pretty new, so well worth checking with more experienced folks over on the sat forum.

fair point. but if it works in a completely different way to the original sky hd box i'm curious then how the converter claims to work with freesat boxes, and the sky hd boxes as well, as the item linked to claims to

let me clarify my point though in that case:
    you cannot split traditional sat connections from standard lnb's.

and a bit of speculation:i can guess how this system might work and still allow the old boxes to work, and if i'm right splitting the cables might allow you to watch some of the channels on the same mux on the two boxes connected, but it wouldn't allow complete autonomy of channel selection. that's only a guess though

• Advertisement

fair point. but if it works in a completely different way to the original sky hd box i'm curious then how the converter claims to work with freesat boxes, and the sky hd boxes as well, as the item linked to claims to

You are right, I'm wondering that myself. I can guess how it works, the converter box is basically acting as a virtual LNB, but there isn't much info at that link, so I'm not 100% sure.
    let me clarify my point though in that case:
    you cannot split traditional sat connections from standard lnb's.

Absolutely, unless of course you replace the Quad LBN with a Quattro LNB, then you can use as many triax splitters as you like :D
    and a bit of speculation:i can guess how this system might work and still allow the old boxes to work, and if i'm right splitting the cables might allow you to watch some of the channels on the same mux on the two boxes connected, but it wouldn't allow complete autonomy of channel selection. that's only a guess though

Basically switch Sky Q, the LNB is a wideband LNB, it now sends the entire horizontal frequency down one cable and the entire vertical frequency down the second cable. No switching is done at the LBN any more.

The Sky Q boxes themselves combine all frequencies from both cables and can see all muxes simultaneously. Allowing up to 12 independent channels to be "seen" simultaneously. It is quiet a cool setup.

But that is over coax. Fibre is a different matter.

My understanding is that all frequencies are carried simultaneously carried on a single fibre and with traditional Sky HD system, split out as the 4 standard coax connectors in the fibre converter. Bascially the fibre converter acts as a virtual LNB.

With Sky Q, I think it is a little different as the Sky Q box can be set to receive all frequencies over one cable via dSCR.

I'm not sure how Freesat and other FTA boxes would work with this setup. Perhaps Freesat also supports dSCR.

If you are interested in my info mossym, it is described here:
    http://www.ableis.co.uk/archives/4606

This has definitely been discussed in detail over in the sat forum, so I think it would be well worth Cyrus's time asking over there, before spending money on this.

BTW I think with this setup, it maybe possible to use triax splitters for more then two boxes.

Advertisement