Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My kettlebell workout-need help?

Options
  • 02-02-2017 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, thanks in advance if you are reading this.

I have recently got into kettle bells to stay in shape as they combine the aspects of weight lifting and cardio into one while keeping the time short also.

I put this workout together based on my observation of kettle bell classes I have been participating in with the university sports centre.

The workout goes approx. 8 exercises, 3-4 rounds at 15-20 reps each. At the minute I am managing 3 rounds at 15 reps with the exception of Kettlebell Swings which is 20. The exercises are:

1. Goblet Squat
    2. Kettlebell Swings
    3. Lunges (x2 rounds forward, x2 rounds backward)
    4. Pushups
    5. Kettlebell Rows for back
    6. Kettlebell Shoulder Press
    7. Russian Twists
    8. Crunches

Anything I should add or take away here? I worry I am not getting a good hamstring/core workout in but I'll listen to your advice. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

You have a good mix in there. There are plenty of kettlebell programs out there and some good ones are very basic like Pawels Simple and sinister for example which is just 2 movements.

With your swings and goblet squats they will cover your legs and core unless you want something more specific that really depends on your needs.

The only movement I would recommend to add would be Turkish get ups but you would want someone knowledgeable to show you.

What are your overall goals? That would help myself and others give you advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You have a good mix in there. There are plenty of kettlebell programs out there and some good ones are very basic like Pawels Simple and sinister for example which is just 2 movements.

With your swings and goblet squats they will cover your legs and core unless you want something more specific that really depends on your needs.

The only movement I would recommend to add would be Turkish get ups but you would want someone knowledgeable to show you.

What are your overall goals? That would help myself and others give you advice.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any specific goal per se, at the moment my programme looks like an endurance workout and I'm hoping to cut fat, gain some overall strength and give myself great cardio.

And just look good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Elemonator wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks in advance if you are reading this.

I have recently got into kettle bells to stay in shape as they combine the aspects of weight lifting and cardio into one while keeping the time short also.

I put this workout together based on my observation of kettle bell classes I have been participating in with the university sports centre.

The workout goes approx. 8 exercises, 3-4 rounds at 15-20 reps each. At the minute I am managing 3 rounds at 15 reps with the exception of Kettlebell Swings which is 20. The exercises are:

1. Goblet Squat
    2. Kettlebell Swings
    3. Lunges (x2 rounds forward, x2 rounds backward)
    4. Pushups
    5. Kettlebell Rows for back
    6. Kettlebell Shoulder Press
    7. Russian Twists
    8. Crunches

Anything I should add or take away here? I worry I am not getting a good hamstring/core workout in but I'll listen to your advice. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    what weight kettlebell(s) are you using?

how often are you doing that?

Current height/weight?

Transform wrote: »
    what weight kettlebell(s) are you using?

how often are you doing that?

Current height/weight?

Hey transform,

At the minute I have a 12kg and a 16kg. Hoping to work that up but I'm only starting out in fitness again.

At the minute about 3 times a week.

Current height is 6ft2in, weight about 85kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Elemonator wrote: »
    Hey transform,

At the minute I have a 12kg and a 16kg. Hoping to work that up but I'm only starting out in fitness again.

At the minute about 3 times a week.

Current height is 6ft2in, weight about 85kg.

It all looks solid just add in some chin ups or pull-ups with a cheap bar you can put in a door frame and for core work variety pick from here - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/new-blog-1/2016/11/18/mid-line-stability-exercises

And a ton of mobility work e.g. Jefferson curls with kettlebell and weighted straddle work with kettlebell

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    It all looks solid just add in some chin ups or pull-ups with a cheap bar you can put in a door frame and for core work variety pick from here - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/new-blog-1/2016/11/18/mid-line-stability-exercises

And a ton of mobility work e.g. Jefferson curls with kettlebell and weighted straddle work with kettlebell

Thanks for your help! I have the pull up bar, might do the kettlebells slone until summer. I need to build up strength again and drop my weight slighty.

Advertisement