Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC Build - up to €1800

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    4+4 will fit together if you line them up side-by-side, should only fit one way.

Don't turn the PSU switch on until you are happy they fit without forcing them in.

Well thats the thing , even though they look wrong , they do actually slot together without forcing them .

Well it's up and running .

My god that i7 7700k runs hot . 50 degrees at idle on the H55 .

My god that graphics card is heavy .... and big .... and not installed yet , because the slightly wrong mobo that I ordered has built in graphics so I said I'd start with that while I was checking it out .

My god I knew even less about PC memory that I thought , "ah feck it the memory is only running at 2133 :( , I thought the board supported 3200 , oh look it says it does , whats this about XMP , oh right , getting old John , turn on that XMP thingy , oh look it's running at 3200 now "

Case is a bit on the basic side with only one fan installed but it's light and can take the large graphics cards and I can add more fans in my own time ........ and some dust filters .

Hardware done tonight , software tomorrow , that should be fun ..... see if my version of windows will allow me to move it over to the new pc .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

www.ninite.com is your friend for software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jonski wrote: »
    Well it's up and running .

My god that i7 7700k runs hot . 50 degrees at idle on the H55 .

My god that graphics card is heavy .... and big .... and not installed yet , because the slightly wrong mobo that I ordered has built in graphics so I said I'd start with that while I was checking it out .

My god I knew even less about PC memory that I thought , "ah feck it the memory is only running at 2133 :( , I thought the board supported 3200 , oh look it says it does , whats this about XMP , oh right , getting old John , turn on that XMP thingy , oh look it's running at 3200 now "

Case is a bit on the basic side with only one fan installed but it's light and can take the large graphics cards and I can add more fans in my own time ........ and some dust filters .

Hardware done tonight , software tomorrow , that should be fun ..... see if my version of windows will allow me to move it over to the new pc .

While your PC is not going to blow up in a radical fashion, 50c idle on any water cooler is way too hot, you need to remount it and re paste it. The stock cooler would do far better than that (and I'm a staunt fan of the intel stock cooler but recognise its limits)

While your PC is not going to blow up in a radical fashion, 50c idle on any water cooler is way too hot, you need to remount it and re paste it. The stock cooler would do far better than that (and I'm a staunt fan of the intel stock cooler but recognise its limits)

I did a quick google and saw a few reports that the 7700k runs quite hot so I just assumed it was ok . I'll re-do it tomorrow morning and see how it reads , it could be down to me using the H60 bracket , maybe the H55 bracket would pull it together better . I'll try making some pads out of something, maybe the aeroboardy type thing that is part of the packaging .

• Advertisement

Change of plan , swapped out the H60 from my current PC and put the . The current idle temp is now 38 degrees .

While I had the two disassembled I saw what the H55's problem was on the AMD chip so I found a work around and it's now idling at 33 degrees . All is ok with the world once again, well until someone comes in and tells me I should be able to get the 7700k's temp lover than 38 on a H60 .

I think I am actually enjoying putting it together at my own pace rather than before when I would be racing to try out my latest game on it .

H60 on now and keeping the temps down while idle but staying around the 70 75 mark while playing BF1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jonski wrote: »
    H60 on now and keeping the temps down while idle but staying around the 70 75 mark while playing BF1 .

Have you tried LOWERING the voltage going into the CPU?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have you tried LOWERING the voltage going into the CPU?

Haven't tried doing anything to be honest and was hoping not to have to . Just watching it for now and having a read through the intel and Gigabyte forums . It does seem to be a thing .

Oh and I also learned ,Display Port if you want to run 144hz .

• Advertisement
Advertisement