Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBD Oil for dog epilepsy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Just bumping this with an update on our cat.

Seizures have almost stopped. I'm gobsmacked to be honest.

I hope the heathen's girl is also improving.

As an aside, www.hempture.ie are now doing a product specifically for pets - it's over a hundred euro I think. I haven't had time to have a good read yet, so I don't know why it is any different, and more expensive (I think) than the regular stuff?

Wow! I'm delighted to hear that! Having tried so many other things from vet recommendations to home remedies it really is scarcely believable when something actually works isn't it?

I've actually started using this one from CBD Brothers - https://cbdbrothers.com/product/cbd-oil-blue-edition-2000mg-17-4-cbd/

It has a higher concentration of CBD and works out at just €18.76 for 10ml when you buy the 30ml bottle.

My dog still has a major fit every two weeks but as I said before it's the stopping of the almost daily petit mal fits that has made the big difference - they were really stressing and agitating her and they're gone. I pretty much have my old dog back.

I started her on that new oil 15 days ago and there's been no sign of a seizure, and as I said, it's stronger & I've upped her dose a little - I'm hoping it might offer further improvements.

How has your cat's general demeanor been? Has it changed her mood in general or anything?

Really delighted to have helped! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes -thanks so much. I never would have thought to look at this if you hadn't posted.

I might give that one you use a go. I actually only dose her a few times a week now, and still all ok (fingers crossed) I actually dose her two drops in each ear - she was getting so stressed having it in her mouth - and if you've tried it yourself, it tastes really rank. I checked with the vet and she said oil in the ear would be no issue. Vet is all interested now.

No change in mood or anything with her - to be honest - luckily, I wasn't aware of her having any petite mal, only the horrible grande mal seizures, and she was always good as gold between those.

I hope your girl keeps improving. Hoping my girl keeps stable too!!!

Thanks again

Yes -thanks so much. I never would have thought to look at this if you hadn't posted.

I might give that one you use a go. I actually only dose her a few times a week now, and still all ok (fingers crossed) I actually dose her two drops in each ear - she was getting so stressed having it in her mouth - and if you've tried it yourself, it tastes really rank. I checked with the vet and she said oil in the ear would be no issue. Vet is all interested now.

No change in mood or anything with her - to be honest - luckily, I wasn't aware of her having any petite mal, only the horrible grande mal seizures, and she was always good as gold between those.

I hope your girl keeps improving. Hoping my girl keeps stable too!!!

Thanks again
    Wow - I didn't realise the ear was an option for absorption! ('Option For Absorption' - Guns 'n Roses should really consider that for an album title)

I take a few drops every day myself alright - I've found the Hempture and CBD Brothers ones ro be tolerable!

I'm no expert, but I was of the opinion that it should be administered daily to maintain it's presence in the system (and at least twice a day at that) - if every few days is working for you then that's great but if she's still having occasional fits then maybe it might be worth considering making them daily or upping the dose - you might get her clear of them altogether?

Anyway, keep it going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Wow! I'm delighted to hear that! Having tried so many other things from vet recommendations to home remedies it really is scarcely believable when something actually works isn't it?

I've actually started using this one from CBD Brothers - https://cbdbrothers.com/product/cbd-oil-blue-edition-2000mg-17-4-cbd/

It has a higher concentration of CBD and works out at just €18.76 for 10ml when you buy the 30ml bottle.

My dog still has a major fit every two weeks but as I said before it's the stopping of the almost daily petit mal fits that has made the big difference - they were really stressing and agitating her and they're gone. I pretty much have my old dog back.

I started her on that new oil 15 days ago and there's been no sign of a seizure, and as I said, it's stronger & I've upped her dose a little - I'm hoping it might offer further improvements.

How has your cat's general demeanor been? Has it changed her mood in general or anything?

Really delighted to have helped! :-)

I was wondering could you possibly advise me on the dose range for a 32 kg Labrador?

My lab has recently had 2 toes amputated due to cancer and I've read about the possible benefits of this oil for many things including cancer. I'm hoping it might benefit her arthritis too. I ordered the CBD Brothers one you mentioned and I'd be very grateful for any advice on dosage.

Its wonderful how its helping your dog so much, and Kathleens cat!

maggiepip wrote: »
    I was wondering could you possibly advise me on the dose range for a 32 kg Labrador?

My lab has recently had 2 toes amputated due to cancer and I've read about the possible benefits of this oil for many things including cancer. I'm hoping it might benefit her arthritis too. I ordered the CBD Brothers one you mentioned and I'd be very grateful for any advice on dosage.

Its wonderful how its helping your dog so much, and Kathleens cat!
    Hi Maggie,

I'm no expert but I took my initial guide from this page - http://vizslacentral.co.uk/health/cbd-oil/

I've increased the dose since then to try to cut the major fits back further.

My dog is 26kg and gets 8 drops twice a day. She had initially been on 4 - the increase doesn't seem to have had any negative affect - the thinking is that CBD is not harmful anyway but apparently you're awakening the endocannabinoid system in your animal and it's best not to pile in with a large dose. I'm only telling you what I've read elsewhere - as I say I'm no expert but it's helped my dog immensely - hope it works for yours too.

Keep us posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Hi Maggie,

I'm no expert but I took my initial guide from this page - http://vizslacentral.co.uk/health/cbd-oil/

I've increased the dose since then to try to cut the major fits back further.

My dog is 26kg and gets 8 drops twice a day. She had initially been on 4 - the increase doesn't seem to have had any negative affect - the thinking is that CBD is not harmful anyway but apparently you're awakening the endocannabinoid system in your animal and it's best not to pile in with a large dose. I'm only telling you what I've read elsewhere - as I say I'm no expert but it's helped my dog immensely - hope it works for yours too.

Keep us posted!

Thanks so much for that information, I know where Im going with it now! I couldn't find any proper dosage guide at all and reading about different strengths etc was confusing me. Much appreciated

Will post an update! :)

Hope your pup is ok, and I hope this helps
    x

kathleen37 wrote:
    Seizures have almost stopped. I'm gobsmacked to be honest.

kathleen37 wrote:
    Just bumping this with an update on our cat.

Well Kathleen, just wondering if your cat is still doing well on the CBD oil?

No seizures at all at the moment. Nothing since my last post in June. Keeping everything crossed.

How is your girl doing? I'm just about to reorder so will try that one you recommended

No seizures at all at the moment. Nothing since my last post in June. Keeping everything crossed.

How is your girl doing? I'm just about to reorder so will try that one you recommended

Hey Kathleen, that's amazing! Delighted for you! I would suggest that if something is working for you then it might be as well not to change it! Different CBD oils have different properties and strengths.

My dog is good - a seizure every 3 weeks or so and still none of the smaller petit mal fits - I'm relatively happy with that - it's much better than she used to be.

Great that your cat is still seizure free - fingers crossed it continues.

• Advertisement

kathleen37 wrote:

Hey Kathleen,

Still going well?

Hey Kathleen,

Still going well?

Yep, all good H. No sign at all of any further seizures. I'm actually dropping down the CBD oil, but obvs will increase if any recurrence..

How's your pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jacksparrow92

I would highly recommend Rick Simpson oil that you can make yourself, it is much stronger than CBD oil and must be used for serious issues like epilepsy.

Rick Simpson oil contains THC and is not legal in this country. Suggesting people grown their cannabis to make it probably isn't best either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

People in general dont know about the differences in grade of Cbd. They think once cbd is on the bottle that its all the same. Rather than wasting your money on rubbish you need to buy something full spectrum. i personally use the spray from Lovecbd.co.uk

You are right about the differences in strength of CBD oil - however, CBD is not THC, which is illegal in products with THC at levels greater than 0.2%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

You are right about the differences in strength of CBD oil - however, CBD is not THC, which is illegal in products with THC at levels greater than 0.2%.

Im well aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hoopla87

hello there, im considering starting my epileptic dog on cbd oil. Her cluster seizures are getting closer together (almost half the amount of days between seizues) and i'm really reluctant to put her on any more pills esp regarding the effect they have on liver and kidneys. So i hope to try to wean her off the phenobarbital and potassium bromide shes currently on but the amount of brands available and % and various amounts of mg dosages have me confused and the price would also be an important issue for me. I notice holland and barrett are selling Jacon hoey 5% at half price and if my calculations are corret this should last 50 days for my girl. just wondering if anyone else has tried this brand and how they found it?

I used 3% cbd oil for our cat. Unfortunately we lost her a couple of months back. I'm so grateful the cbd completely sorted her epilepsy. She was well over 20 and had a great life. I miss you Jilly. xxx

I would expect the 5% to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hoopla87

I used 3% cbd oil for our cat. Unfortunately we lost her a couple of months back. I'm so grateful the cbd completely sorted her epilepsy. She was well over 20 and had a great life. I miss you Jilly. xxx

I would expect the 5% to be good.

SO sorry for your loss but glad she had a good life

Ah sorry to hear that Kathleen. At least the CBD helped her have a better last year or two than she might have had.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hello all,
    Just updating this thread, not so much with CBD news, but rather with a study on alternative and behavioural interventions which may be useful in reducing the effects of epilepsy in dogs. This thread has been a popular spot for owners of affected dogs and cats, so I thought it was as good a place as any to post it!
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6360160/

Advertisement