Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royally messed around by seasoned boards user!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Galadriel wrote: »
    Ok then, how to you explain the adverts ad? EDIT: Yes the buyer should have pulled out then, but look he was the one that was PM'd about it, bottom line no one will be buying from the seller again in a hurry.

Seller obviously lost interest in selling to buyer fairly quickly, (offered almost immediate refund) and probably looking for a more local buyer who meet and pay on the spot.

You have to agree that buyer probably came across as far too keen to buy which is typical of adverts / done deal scams - and that would set alarm bells off for many.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lol

First time ever I've heard of a keen buyer spooking a seller.

Give over.

Maybe read many of the threads about online buying scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fair enough I suppose. I know for a fact that I wouldn't personally sell anything to anyone without full payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Delacent wrote: »
    Maybe read many of the threads about online buying scams.

Yeah but the seller was the one that contacted the OP through PM to sell the laptop, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If it were me - being the incredibly petty person that I am and seeing how much inconvenience and stress he would have caused me - I could think of a lot of damage I could do with his name, address, phone number and e-mail address. But maybe that's just me.

I don't think something like this would bring any positive outcome. As long as I can prevent other people getting messed around in the same way and possibly even encourage the guy to change his attitude in future, that's all I want. I wouldn't get anything from any revenge tactics.
    Did you read the entire conversation?

Seller offered to refund amount on 21st dec.
    Seller was also shift working in retail and at Christmas that's crazy hours.

Buyer put a lot of pressure as buyer wanted it urgently - whilst buyer is 100% genuine, the conversation seems to have spooked the seller and buyer came across as too keen.

As i said, fault on both sides, but you need to acknowledge that seller offered to refund paid amount on 21st Dec and wanted out of deal - buyer just wanted laptop and piled more pressure, thus seller lost trust.

Try reading it as if the buyer was a total unknown - its almost identical to many scam threads you read. I think the buyer wanted this too much and this spooked the seller.

When I heard the seller was based in Cork I thought it might not be a goer, but they suggested posting it registered and tracked, to quote one of the PM's I still have: "I'd be happy to post it to you tracked by courier? I know you'd like to test it, but I am 100% genuine here and we are both long time users of the site." and that was exactly my thinking. I explained how I am fully traceable and I had his details before I sent the money too, so it all looked good.

By the way, I NEVER offered him more than was initially agreed. When he mentioned €90 extra I told him I would have been happy to agree on €1,390 had he negotiated for it at the start, but he didn't and we agreed a price and I paid €650+€20 postage in the first of 2 payments. I told him I'd donate €90 to a dog sanctuary to show I'd no problem paying €90 extra, but no way it was going to him after all he had done.

I deleted most of the PM's, but I had already said I hoped to get it before Christmas. There was no indication on the 21st that the seller wanted out of the deal, just that they could return the money and we can wait and do it later.

Also, they used the excuse of being afraid to send it before receiving full payment later on, but then they seemed to have no problem to send if if I agreed to pay €740 instead of €650 for the second payment, so it doesn't really apply here.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently to get the laptop other than go to Cork and wait outside his home, or pay him more. I wanted the laptop for sure, but of course after all the time wasted on this, that same time had it been used to actually work for a wage, would have afforded me the price between the asking price for and a new one :p

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    MOD: I Removed reference to seller as we only have 1 side of the story

What usually happens here? Do mods contact the user and request their side of the story or should I invite him here to comment?

I mean it would pretty much be a case of asking is this transcript accurate between him and me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

MOD: You can ask him/her to post over to give his side of the story.

cormie wrote: »

I'm not sure what I could have done differently to get the laptop other than go to Cork and wait outside his home, or pay him more. I wanted the laptop for sure, but of course after all the time wasted on this, that same time had it been used to actually work for a wage, would have afforded me the price between the asking price for and a new one :p

I don't think you did anything wrong, just the seller got spooked and you probably wanted to buy it more than the seller wanted to sell it.

As i said above, the Whine to Joe show was full of scam stories at the time too and I'd suspect that someone else was "advising" the seller.

Yes he messed about, but seems at all times he was willing to refund, hence I reckon it was just two people not understanding each other than any purposeful agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The sellers side of the story is quite clear.

He made the buyer aware that he was selling what the buyer wanted.

He agreed a sale price.

He accepted a large deposit on the basis of that sale price.

He agreed to arrange tracked delivery in order to test the equipment.

He had the buyers money for a substantial amount of time.

He did not send the item "due to work commitments".i.e.....15hr shifts with apparently no break....ever.

Buyer extensively offered alternate postage arrangements and calculated timings for the seller.

Seller continued to hold onto buyers money and not send the item.

The items turns out to not be as described with no warranty.

Seller still negotiating the sale of the item on Adverts while buyers deposit is sitting in sellers bank account.

Seller admits withholding item due to wanting an extra €90 on top of agreed sale price and acceptance of deposit.

Anyone defending the seller here, clearly has issues with comprehension and situation analysis.

The only reason the seller offered a refund was because he was refusing to honour his offer of the sale price. Then tried to hussle the OP for more money.....all while looking to sell for a higher price elsewhere.

TLDR:
    OP is right....seller was an asshat.....defenders of the seller are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's only true if you don't consider the alternative facts though.

• Advertisement

I don't think you did anything wrong, just the seller got spooked and you probably wanted to buy it more than the seller wanted to sell it.

As i said above, the Whine to Joe show was full of scam stories at the time too and I'd suspect that someone else was "advising" the seller.

Yes he messed about, but seems at all times he was willing to refund, hence I reckon it was just two people not understanding each other than any purposeful agenda.

I'm not sure, I was suggesting to ask people for advice and he seems pretty clued in to these things himself. I don't think he was afraid I'd try pull any scams, he had all my details and could have easily pursued it legally and lawfully if I tried anything. I think as he said himself, he just wanted more money and didn't want to sell it for less than he bought it?
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    That's only true if you don't consider the alternative facts though.

Which alternative facts are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Jeez, I could ship a nuclear warhead with less hassle than this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Am I the only one who thinks the OP is probably coming off as bad/worse than the fella selling the laptop?

The seller clearly, for god knows what reason, changed his mind about the sale and repeatedly apologised for the inconvenience, said he wanted to refund the deposit and forget the whole thing.

Hardly ideal, but honestly, the obsessive pursuit of a clearly dead deal comes off as a little weird.

"I know where you live"?

"I'm gonna post our private correspondence online even though it kinda makes me look like a head-the-ball who can't take a hint"?

A bit much, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Unless I've read this totally arseways, I would also be totally spooked if someone tried to convince me to post them an item we agreed was worth almost €1400 for half that price. Especially if I were aware of the "buyer beware" rules in online second-hand selling.
    Unless there's something I'm not seeing, there would be nothing stopping the buyer from retaining the laptop and blocking all contact with the seller, leaving him down over €600. And likely someone informed the buyer he was being silly not receiving the full amount before he posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cloloco

JayRoc wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the OP is probably coming off as bad/worse than the fella selling the laptop?

The seller clearly, for god knows what reason, changed his mind about the sale and repeatedly apologised for the inconvenience, said he wanted to refund the deposit and forget the whole thing.

Hardly ideal, but honestly, the obsessive pursuit of a clearly dead deal comes off as a little weird.

"I know where you live"?

"I'm gonna post our private correspondence online even though it kinda makes me look like a head-the-ball who can't take a hint"?

A bit much, IMO

Agree, the seller was probably getting a bit scared and wanted no more to do with it. The whole I have your address and posting it up here is a bit OTT to be honest. Buyer you need to let it go....

"I know where you live"?

A bit much, IMO

Why are you putting quotation marks around things I never said? You're making it look like I'm using the fact he gave me his address as a means of seeking revenge which is completely skewing the reality.

Again, putting things in as quotes? I made this post to try warn others. I have far more information on him that I could have posted but chose not to as it wouldn't bring anything positive.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Unless I've read this totally arseways, I would also be totally spooked if someone tried to convince me to post them an item we agreed was worth almost €1400 for half that price. Especially if I were aware of the "buyer beware" rules in online second-hand selling.
    Unless there's something I'm not seeing, there would be nothing stopping the buyer from retaining the laptop and blocking all contact with the seller, leaving him down over €600. And likely someone informed the buyer he was being silly not receiving the full amount before he posted it.

I didn't try convince him? He suggested it? He contacted me via PM to offer me a laptop he knew I was looking for that he was selling.
    cloloco wrote: »
    Agree, the seller was probably getting a bit scared and wanted no more to do with it. The whole I have your address and posting it up here is a bit OTT to be honest. Buyer you need to let it go....

You've misinterpreted it also, or else you scanned through it and took JayRoc's quote as an actual quote.

Cormie - time to move on. Holding a grudge because a deal didn't go your way is not good.

Would I use your van tasks service if I thought that any dispute would get aired? No.

Sometimes you have to accept deals don't happen.

You did not lose money, you were not scammed. Yes you were messed about a little, but this witch-hunt puts you in a bad light.

Ps, I know you from years back when you played poker. Time to fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It sounds like the OP has a hard on for the seller. Both are annoying as fcuk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Sounds like the kid never had a laptop to sell. Buyer sounds like a right bag of spanners.

Absolutely.

OP, that last PM to the seller is just making you out to be obsessive and somewhat scary at this point. It's time to end it; compared to most people who experienced bad deals, you came away relatively unscathed. You've had your 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Ps, I know you from years back when you played poker. Time to fold.

Haha :D

Folks, I've ended it already, my last communication before this with the seller was 2 weeks ago wishing him good luck after he had returned my €670.

I'm simply posting to highlight that even with someone who you've seen on a site for several years and comes across as trustworthy and you'd have no worries doing such a deal with, they can still mess you around.

I know it comes across that I was pushing for him to send it and most people probably would have taken their money back yonks ago, but he had my money, I wanted the laptop, I wasn't happy we agreed a deal and he was making up so many stories and it was the only time of the year that I don't really need to be responsive to enquiries so have the time to set up a new laptop without too much pressure to reply to emails etc.

Anyway, this is all I was planning to do, post it here and let others make up their own mind whether they would deal with him or not if they are interested in something he's selling.

I got a reply from my PM to him last night:
    Please remove my first name from the post.

So again, people can make their own opinions based on this.

EDIT: Users first name removed from all previous posts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Disappointing that a boards user would do that to another. Generally when dealing with boardsies I treat it like dealing with a friend of a friend.
    Hopefully the other poster will give his side of the story.

Seems to be little knowledge of what a contract is by the seller here.

MOD: Removed initials to seller

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

I thought posting contents of a pm was a big no no on boards?

MOD: Closing thread, will have a chat with Category Mods about it, we will decide if we should leave open, close or delete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    After review and discussion with HQ we've decided to reopen the thread as there's a good discussion here in general. However any speculation of who the seller is will be met with a forum ban as that's a no go area.

Glad to see the thread reopened, although surprised all the conversations were removed. I respect boards has to be careful with what information is published, especially from third party sources. I'd be more than happy to assist with any verification necessary, but again, understand there may still be complications in publishing anything, even if verified.

The reason I posted the thread was to warn others about this user and the risks of dealing with someone who you might think you can trust. I had seen the user posting around forums I frequent for years and had a completely different view of, until this scenario. I don't like to see people getting away with dishonesty and treating people with disrespect and felt a thread was warranted.

I of course feel posting the username would be justified and perhaps many of the mods do too, but understand it's not as simple as that and happy the thread can be kept open on the conditions above :)

Hopefully the thread will at least reduce the chances of other users being messed around in a similar way with the info that has remained!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

If someone random messaged me that, I'd assume it was a scam personally. Specially just in a private messaging each other context, I'd want at least the basic protection you get on adverts or through paypal.

I've bought things off boards users before, and sold a couple of things, only through person via meet ups, as of yet haven't had any problems *touch wood*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

I'm personally going to <SNIP> for any further dealings with this seller on adverts or any other sellers on adverts. They are doing an awful job too with the nes classic scalpers on that site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm personally going to <SNIP> for any further dealings with this seller on adverts or any other sellers on adverts. They are doing an awful job too with the nes classic scalpers on that site.

Adverts currently has no rule on profiteering though, except with tickets to events.

Advertisement