Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Tam Dalyell

• 27-01-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭

Lost in the general noise it might be nice to remember Labour MP Tam Dalyell who passed away yesterday aged 84.

He it was who posed the conundrum inherent in Scottish devolution, that a Scottish MP could vote on matters pertaining to English counties, but an English MP could not do likewise on West Lothian (his constituency) issues, which Enoch Powell summed up as the "West Lothian question".

He relentlessly pursued Mrs Thatcher on the legality or otherwise of the sinking of the Belgrano until it became something of a joke even among Labour MP's.

He was one of those rare politicians, one who had convictions that would not be compromised and was therefore never considered for promotion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

He had a bit of mixed record.

Right on Iraq but like a lot of Labour people his principles didn't prevent him from accepting a baronetcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

He had a bit of mixed record.

Right on Iraq but like a lot of Labour people his principles didn't prevent him from accepting a baronetcy.
    That's a little unfair. He inherited his baronetcy on the death of his mother in 1973, and he had no choice about that - there is no mechanism in British law for disclaiming an inherited baronetcy. So far as I know he never used the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That's a little unfair. He inherited his baronetcy on the death of his mother in 1973, and he had no choice about that - there is no mechanism in British law for disclaiming an inherited baronetcy. So far as I know he never used the title.

Ah, ok. I didn't realise this, so yes my post was unfair.

Advertisement