Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice ASAP

Options
  • 26-01-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Basically myself and 6 of my friends are renting a house in Carlow. One of our friends dropped out so the landlord found a new guy to move in.

We were on holiday at the weekend and when we came back on Monday we met the new housemate who is <mod snip> and doesn't speak great english.

He is 21 and doesn't go to college so from the start he didn't fit in with any of us who are 18/19. He told us he came from a hostel and he has ADHD and also can't sleep at night.

The lad is fairly intimidating and one of the first things he said to me was "your room is fairly messy". None of his business. He then started ordering us to keep the house tidy. We had pre drinks here two nights ago and he also commented on how noisy we were. Thats fair enough but hes here less than a week and he is already barking orders at us.

The real trouble started yesterday when he brought his <mod snip> cousin back (who looks in his early 30's). He said could his cousin stay for a few days as he had nowhere else to go. As there are 3 girls living here they were fairly nervous.

A knock came to the door and it was another <mod snip> guy who didnt seem happy and told me to call our new housemate to the door. Our new housemate didnt seem happy and was surprised he was here.

This annoyed us as now random people we dont know, know where we live. We rang our landlord he told the new tenant not to have people staying so he came back to the house and they both started shouting "****ing kids ratting on me!".

Then one of the lads followed him up to the room and asked why he was shouting and our housemate said "my cousin is only out of prison and has nowhere to go" and thats when everyone lost the plot.

We again rang our landlord and told him and at this stage he was pissed off that we kept ringing him. Eventually about 1am we noticed a car kept driving up the estate and would stop outside our house. At this stage everyone was scared and it happened 3 or 4 times.

We rang our landlord again this morning and told him we want him gone. He said "well do you want to leave?", implying he'd quicker have us gone than him. The landlord then told us he would talk to "a woman who recommended him" and see after that. He then said he would hire private secuirty to watch the house at night.

I think its crazy that he is willing to do that and to potentially lose 6 tenants who've gave him no trouble the whole year. Theres defo something else going on. We all stayed in the one room last nught and locked the door. Its crazy!

Can anyone tell me what our rights are and what we can do? The landlord is so set on keeping the <mod snip> lad here and doesnt give a **** about us
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fitzypatrick11

By the way I have nothing against anyone with ADHD, or who came from a hostel. I just think our landlord should have told us first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How long are you there?

Here since August, we're all first years

Here since August, we're all first years

Okay so you haven't got part IV rights yet so you're a little bit on think ice.

Do you think though that you were against this fella from the start. You state in the original post that he didn't fit in with you because he's not a student and he's 21. Little bit unfair?

If you're going to house-share you have to get used to living with different types of people.

My suggestion would be to try a bit harder to get on with him. I think you're being a little over sensitive. It's not like he's wrecked the house. Okay, having his cousin to stay is not on but if the LL has told him he can't do that is that not enough?

I don't think I was being sensitive to be honest. Him bringing his cousin who literally was released from prison yesterday into a house with 6 teenagers and refusing to tell us why he was in prison is not ok. Random 40 year old men calling to our house and shouting at the new housemate also isn't on. None of us are sensitive people but he is really taking the piss

• Advertisement

I don't think I was being sensitive to be honest. Him bringing his cousin who literally was released from prison yesterday into a house with 6 teenagers and refusing to tell us why he was in prison is not ok. Random 40 year old men calling to our house and shouting at the new housemate also isn't on. None of us are sensitive people but he is really taking the piss

Okay, if you say so. I'm only trying to give you some advice. If you don't want to take it fine. But if I was the LL I'd be pissed off at you ringing too.

You call yourself teenagers as if your kids, you're not, you're living in the real world now where sometimes you have to deal with people you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I don't think I was being sensitive to be honest. Him bringing his cousin who literally was released from prison yesterday into a house with 6 teenagers and refusing to tell us why he was in prison is not ok.

Nobody is under any obligation to tell you anything unfortunately doesn't matter if someone has a medical condition or learning disability or other personal information ,
    This is the joys of a house share people clash over messes and untidy spaces ,you said your messy room is none of his business what's makes you think his or his friends personal information is your business then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I think people are being a bit harsh on the op, but I see why too.
    This isn't a case of being incompatible or leaving the toilet seat up he's moved his cousin in who is just out of prison.
    Weird aggressive people are calling to the door
    What is your lease like?
    Any chance of leaving early and getting your deposit back?
    Next time try take a house as a group not seperate, where the landlord can't move people in themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there a welfare or student office in your college? Go and see them and tell your story and see what they suggest.

It sounds like you might need to find somewhere new to live quickly.

These places where the LL chooses new housemates are a nightmare.

You all spent the night in one bedroom?
    Seriously? I think you are being a bit OTT!
    He brought a cousin to stay, another guy called and had a bit of a row with him? That's all? I don't see the need for hysterics & I can understand why your landlord would rather lose ye than him. Also, why the obsession with age? I'm guessing you want to be treated as an adult, you should probably try being a bit more adult about things.
    Did ye have anyone yourselves to fill the empty bedroom? Did you offer to get someone in yourselves?
    This guy will probably get sick of living with teenagers soon enough & leave. But even if he doesn't, are ye finished college in may? It's only a few months.
    Just keep your own bedrooms locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

OP I've added paragraphs to your post as it was very difficult to read. I've also removed references to your housemate's nationality as it is irrelevant to the heart of the problem and may lead to stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

you don't have part4 rights yet - but neither has the landlord. Give notice and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

bubblypop wrote: »
    I can understand why your landlord would rather lose ye than him.

Let's hope landlord feels the same then the college students get their deposit back
    New tenant gets to move in as many ex prison inmate cousins as he likes without asking permission from the landlord, which I'm sure landlord will also be delighted about.
    And people can arrive at the house shouting at the tenant any time they want.
    Win Win all round I would say.

OP hope you get sorted and remember this in Sept no house shares like this, get a group together and rent yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Lackey wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh on the op, but I see why too.
    This isn't a case of being incompatible or leaving the toilet seat up he's moved his cousin in who is just out of prison.

He asked could his cousin stay for a few days and they (presumably) said yes.I have said yes to similar requests and regretted it but at the end of the day that is it as long as he abides by whatever terms were agreed.

Best advice, if someone leaves you should find the replacement yourself , if you talk to your landlord about someone you live with they will in all likelihood not be pleased about it. As to what to do now I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Severe empathy deficit in this thread.

No practical advice, OP - I don't think you are over reacting.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I imagine a 'few days' would turn into something more permanent. The new tenant is only there a bloody week and already causing hassle bringing his dodgy cousin and who knows what other kind of fellas to the house. If there is any chance of ye getting other accommodation quickly I'd be gone. Leave the randomers for the LL to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op follow up all reports with a text to LL and email and if they are not possible then a letter.

Keep a record of all issues.

Contact the Gardai for any illegal or criminal matters.

I would suggest the 6 of you look elsewhere and make sure its not LL placement of tenants.

If it were me I would make it known the other one staying isn't on and get the rest together to put this across.

Also I would make things extremely difficult for this guy if he is as bad as you say.

Who pays bills and how does the amount come about. I ask because if he is always there then bills will be higher.
    Is the property registered with RTB and revenue.
    Worth noting if they aren't as a card to play against ll.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

I sympathise with the OP here, I wouldnt tolerate this either! OP your Landlord is an asshole. Your new housemate sounds dodgy. Give notice and get out if you can. I suspect when you threaten to leave then your LL might change his tune... he would be stupid to let go of you students in favour of <snip> sourced from hostels

I sympathise with the OP here, I wouldnt tolerate this either! OP your Landlord is an asshole. Your new housemate sounds dodgy. Give notice and get out if you can. I suspect when you threaten to leave then your LL might change his tune... he would be stupid to let go of you students in favour of <snip> sourced from hostels

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So basically when we got this house there was exactly enough space to fit us all. We all moved here from the one town and the one school so we basically got a house together as people have been advising me.

The problem is, one of our housemates dropped out right after Xmas and that's why we have a new housemate

I agree I probably didn't give him a chance at the start in my own head, but we were all more than nice to him and it was only when we discovered the cousin had been in jail that we got annoyed

Of course I don't mind anyone being in jail and being released but to literally walk out of prison and straight to our house is a bit cheeky. And then refusing to tell us why he was in prison. I don't think that's over the top

We never had trouble at this house and last night the same car drove by 4 times and each time stopped outside our house and looked in.. I'm sorry but that's creepy and I would be very surprised if it was just a coincidence

Also the LL has gotten back to us and claimed he would hire a private security firm to "watch the house 3/4 times a night" and that our housemate has assured him he won't bring anyone back.

The problem there is our landlord wouldn't fix our taps upstaires (which don't work at all) and wouldn't even have the house half clean before we moved down (rat droppings in 2 kitchen drawers) so that's they kinda fella were dealing with

What baffles me is why he is going to all these rounds to keep this guy when all 6 of us have told him we aren't comfortable with him , and willing to hire security , instead of just letting him go. Also the LL keeps referring to a "woman who recommended him" and asking us to write a list of complaints so we can give it to him and him to her. He's a private landlord so why does he need to consult someone from the hostel? My feeling is he's being paid a lot more to house this guy

Also can I just say I'm not trying to be offensive or OTT or anything. We're all only first years and living away from home in a town and estate where you know no one else is a little bit intimidating when stuff like this happens and when our LL is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Do you each have an agreement with the landlord or are ye all named on a lease or what? Tell the new guy he has to go and cover his rent between ye until you get someone else in? I'm puzzled as to why the landlord got someone when it was your friend that dropped out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Is the property specifically student accommodation? If so as far as I know it should be rented out only to students.

If there was any other accommodation available I would consider moving if the LL wasn't open to a resolution.

If he has caused this much hassle in a short time I could only imagine what hardship might be yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Sounds like the LL is getting his pockets lined somehow by housing this lad. Be it some arrangement he has with a relative/ or the HSE.
    Supported housing would suit him better atm as he is still young and may be lacking in life skills.
    I would not like my teenage daughter living in a house where middle-aged ex-cons are sleeping in the same house. That's the bottom line, I don't know why other posters are being hard on the OP.
    As for advice- college accom. officer, threshold for advice , & keep an eye out for properties to suit the 5 of you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

TresGats wrote:
    Sounds like the LL is getting his pockets lined somehow by housing this lad. Be it some arrangement he has with a relative/ or the HSE. Supported housing would suit him better atm as he is still young and may be lacking in life skills. I would not like my teenage daughter living in a house where middle-aged ex-cons are sleeping in the same house. That's the bottom line, I don't know why other posters are being hard on the OP. As for advice- college accom. officer, threshold for advice , & keep an eye out for properties to suit the 5 of you. Good luck.

This is spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I sympathise with the OP. My advice is contact the gardai in relation to the car sitting outside the house. Take details of registration etc.
    That's not acceptable in a student house, ex-con who won't tell you what they were imprisoned for means you have to assume the worst and take precautions with regards to your property and well being.

Seek a new housing arrangement ASAP.

PS your landlord is most assuredly has some financial incentive to keep this chap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

We never had trouble at this house and last night the same car drove by 4 times and each time stopped outside our house and looked in.. I'm sorry but that's creepy and I would be very surprised if it was just a coincidence

Also the LL has gotten back to us and claimed he would hire a private security firm to "watch the house 3/4 times a night" and that our housemate has assured him he won't bring anyone back.
    So landlord says he would get security to drive by 3/4 times a night and then a car drives by 4 times and looks in. If it's the landlord I'm thinking of this would be a very likely scenario.

If it puts your mind at ease ask the landlord to get rid of the new tenant and the 5 of you make up the shortfall in the rent until you find someone to your pleasing. Are you renting rooms individually from landlord or is it one lease?

Can I say also that the 5 of you sleeping in one room with the door locked out of fear sounds a bit pathetic? If you were that afraid why not ring the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I agree that if it were my daughter or son I'd be looking to move them out asap. We have to remember that even though the students are adults, they are very young adults most likely away from home for the first time and now are left intimidated in their home. It's not on. The notion of the LL organising security would ring alarm bells for me. Why on earth would anyone put themselves in a situation where they have to do that? Op You have voiced your concerns to the LL. He is strangely looking to pass these on to some random woman. Again, I'd be gone asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Give him ultimatum, and move out of he insists on keeping new tenant.

Assuming there is somewhere to move to in the area.

Not worth it to stay, you'll be glad you moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

you don't have part4 rights yet - but neither has the landlord. Give notice and leave.

The 6 month rule is basically gone for part IV. You can no longer evict a tenant for no reason within 6 months. It has to be a solid reason like not paying rent, anti-social behaviour etc. It was one of those new changes slipped in recently.

But you are right, I think OP should just go. A landlord who takes no consideration of the existing tenants, when moving in someone like that is very inconsiderate. Like I can see why landlords do it, but only when they are properly vetting the tenants to protect the house. Not in the case OP finds himself

I would not bother with the housing officer in college. Most dont know their arse from their elbow. I know one in a certain university who gives references. I kid you not the references are pre-printed sheet in which he writes the student's name in biro and say they are academic, hard working and kind etc. Yet he met them 5 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP just leave. Not worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

OP I would try sort this out with your landlord before giving notice like others have advised.
    As I'm sure you're well aware there is a huge shortage of accommodation in Carlow town and the 5 of you (if looking for a place together) will be competing against families and professionals who are looking for longer term than until the end of the semester.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement