Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nesta Carter stripped of Bejing gold

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

walshb wrote: »
    There's a whole heap of credibility in athletics. When folks stop constantly focusing on the failed tests alone people may realise this. A small percentage of tests are failing for drugs. That is credible...No amount of effort will eliminate athletes from trying to "cheat." It's part of what makes us human.

Circa 4500 tests carried out in Beijing with 9 athletes found to have cheated or broken the rules. Result if you ask me.

This is the sport in which we recently found out some of the top administrators were soliciting bribes to cover up failed tests. Every one of those jamaicans could have failed tests in the past and we'd be none the wiser, it's a moral cesspool at the top of athletics and no different in any other sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is the sport in which we recently found out some of the top administrators were soliciting bribes to cover up failed tests. Every one of those jamaicans could have failed tests in the past and we'd be none the wiser, it's a moral cesspool at the top of athletics and no different in any other sport.

My main point is that athletics is probably D most credible of all sports as regards its commitment, desire and actual implementation of "cleanness" in sport. There are a whole lot more athletes seen as "clean" compared to "dirty."

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PeadarK

walshb wrote:
    My main point is that athletics is probably D most credible of all sports as regards its commitment, desire and actual implementation of "cleanness" in sport. There are a whole lot more athletes seen as "clean" compared to "dirty."

I'd agree with you on your point
    Athletics is not like any other sport. The difference between winning and losing is miniscule and taking drugs could mean the difference in an athlete running an Olympics final compared to not even making the team. I think it's terrible that drugs plays such a big part in athletics but because of the nature of the sport there's very little anyone can do about it

Advertisement