Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate claim without notificaton

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

givyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry, but are you on about 'nonsense'?

Do you think that insurers not bothering their arse to get claims independently checked isn't happening..? It is.. you've also just been given a specific example by the OP.

Insurers aren't just settling 'on the steps' of a court house, claims aren't even getting that far. It might be cheaper not to get to court, but not to bother their holes checking if any claim should be paid out at all, isn't saving any money.

If this particular claims circumstances were repeated on a home insurance policy, the claim would have been rejected out of hand. You can't go making repairs that have never been verified and then just stick in a claim and get whatever you billed them for (at least for home insurance policies).

A third party claim came in that they had no forewarning of, approx 6 months after the fact.

The repairs were most likely long completed due to health and safety requirements for whoever is responsible for maintaining the motorway barriers.

There is a massive difference in a homeowner submitting an invoice for damages to their home that they got repaired and a third party submitting an invoice for damage caused.

Liability is not in dispute.

All the insurer can do is as Seamus outlined above and pay the claim.

As I said above, the op or the insurer havnt a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

Rod Munch wrote: »

Threatening the ombudsman when you are completely in the wrong (by not notifiying the incident) is not an advisable way to operate.

Querying it certainly, but the heavy handed approach will not work.
    NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Insurers owe their policyholders a duty of care and they are supposed to conform to certain professional standards. If there has been significant failure in this respect the policyholder is certainly entitled to complain. As I posted earlier there would be no basis of complaint if the validity of quantum was verified by the insurers.

There is no point in conflating the preceding point with the issue of non-notification. They are separate issues.

Id be inclined to agree with Rod on this .
    The op hit another persons property and damaged it . The bill came to 3k to fix it . He seems to be questioning the size of the repair bill but not the fact that he hit and damaged the barrier and is responsible for the repair of it.

Personally i wouldnt be threatening the insurance company with the ombudsman. What will it achieve , you might get the bill down to 2.5k.
    Then they would turn around and cancel your insurance for non disclosure and possibly seek to recover costs from you. Try to get insurance after having a policy cancelled
    You might win the battle but will lose the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Is the consensus here that I should just put up and shut up rather than possibly making the situation worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Rod Munch wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, even if the OP managed to successfully challenge it and offer to pay the bill themselves, maybe for less than 3,000 euro. Would the incident still go down on their history and negatively affect their premium next time around?

If he paid the damages himself then its essentially the same as the claim having never occurred as it did not cost his insurer anything.
    For those of you who have been following this thread, I have decided to repay the amount to the insurer on the basis that my no claims bonus will now remain untainted

Advertisement