Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube Fitness Channels

Options
  • 21-01-2017 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just wondering what are people's thoughts on the likes of rob lipsett and others who post videos of themselves training in the gym? Bit of a joke to go to a gym only for some twat next to you to whip out a camera and record his workout for likes and follows on social media. Its **** like this that puts people off joining gyms. But the party doesn't stop at the gym.Why? Because here's a photo of some chicken they're about to eat aswell. Like,comment and subscribe please. Pathetic. More and more people doing it now and most of them have been training for only a matter of months and are setting up youtube channels fleecing naive youngsters out of their cash with garbage programmes and tips. I know a mate who's owed money by one of them after he was promised he'd advertise some training gear for him in return for cash.Where has this culture emanated from? Can people not just go to the gym and train without looking for attention or in fear that some sap next to them will start taking videos? Really off putting during a workout. Put the camera down and lift.Wuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its **** like this that puts people off joining gyms.
    I be surprised if anyone avoiding joining the gym in case somebody was there recording themselves.

I dont see the issue tbh. If it's not affecting anyone else then they can do what they like.
    I know a mate who's owed money by one of them after he was promised he'd advertise some training gear for him in return for cash.
    You mate was advertising training gear for cash? Isn't that exactly the kind of thing you are complaining about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Came across strenght camp the other day, i like them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ASolYU_Yh3yShLFQC0stg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Just ignore them? You don't have to subscribe to their Instagram, Facebook profiles and YouTube channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Yeah I just ignore the 'yootoob' fitness community since it's full of narcissistic arseholes preying on naive 16yr olds to sell **** clothing to for expensive prices. Literally the only 'fitness' channel I'm subscribed to (if you could even call it 'fitness') is Jason Genova, and that's purely for the lols. I also like Joe Delaney but that's just cause he's an interesting guy, and he even rips the piss out of the tackiness of the community.

I've no problem with Guzman and co. selling **** to idiots, that's grand. But his 'Alphalete' brand just pisses me off calling the likes of Rob Lipsett an 'athlete'. Like the guy looks good, lifts more than the average joe, but that does not make him an athlete at all.

I rather watch weightlifters and powerlifters train. ATG and Hookgrip upload every day pretty much and their videos are a million times more interesting than watching Rob Lipsett drink a protein shake, eat a burrito and then squat 100kg for a few reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

arkrow wrote: »
    Came across strenght camp the other day, i like them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ASolYU_Yh3yShLFQC0stg
    like elliott but most of the lifting is filled with almost as many ****ty reps as in a local crossfit competition, almost.

often the girls are moving better.

I dont really pay attention to any of the people that dont work with clients directly and if they do its very limited and often their friends.

Lets be clear, they are NOT selling fitness, they're selling a lifestyle brand which always needs to be leveled up to maintain interest e.g. going to the local gym is not good enough, now you have to train in different gyms daily or visit gyms in different countries, eat in various places etc. no way on earth thats possible without a bunch of cash, zero commitments and a willing audience that as dumb (there are loads of people doing quality work though).

"People are so ****ing dumb. Nobody reads anymore, nobody goes out and looks and explores the society and culture they were brought up in. People have attention spans of five seconds and as much depth as a glass of water".
    David Bowie

Ive bumped into a few of the youtube guys and gals in gyms and have to say im fairly underwhelmed by all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Just wondering what are people's thoughts on the likes of rob lipsett and others who post videos of themselves training in the gym? Bit of a joke to go to a gym only for some twat next to you to whip out a camera and record his workout for likes and follows on social media. Its **** like this that puts people off joining gyms. But the party doesn't stop at the gym.Why? Because here's a photo of some chicken they're about to eat aswell. Like,comment and subscribe please. Pathetic. More and more people doing it now and most of them have been training for only a matter of months and are setting up youtube channels fleecing naive youngsters out of their cash with garbage programmes and tips. I know a mate who's owed money by one of them after he was promised he'd advertise some training gear for him in return for cash.Where has this culture emanated from? Can people not just go to the gym and train without looking for attention or in fear that some sap next to them will start taking videos? Really off putting during a workout. Put the camera down and lift.Wuss.

Have to say, I quite enjoy Rob's channel and his videos - I find them entertaining and think the information he gives is very good for the type of training goals he has, which to be fair are the same goals as a lot of gym goers. I am subscribed to his channel and a few others, I watch some of the videos when the topics are of interest to me - it costs me nothing to do so, I don't see how anyone is being fleeced by subscribing to his channel! Fair play to Rob and those guys if they are making some cash out of it and able to live the lifestyles they are living as a result where they can travel and work expos, etc as a full time career. In fairness, if you're not into these channels, there's nobody forcing you to watch, like, comment, or subscribe! You have as much a right to ignore them as they have to put their content out there.

I wouldn't have any issue with anyone filming their workouts either - once their filming equipment isn't obstructing other members, it's all good with me and I suspect most others.

One of the other channels I like is Athlene X (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A), have gotten a few useful tips from this page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTFzlMvFx2f5D9t3fl79w7Q

As I said above, I'm not really into following "youtube athletes", but I only just discovered Nile Wilson, who's a GB Gymnast (won Bronze at Rio and all), has a channel which he uploads to quite often, which is pretty cool.

Also, Gabriel Sincraian (Romanian weightlifter, won bronze at Rio though probably will be taken away) has a channel and is doing a 'road to 300kg squat' which he started about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Mellor wrote: »
    Its **** like this that puts people off joining gyms.
    I be surprised if anyone avoiding joining the gym in case somebody was there recording themselves.

I dont see the issue tbh. If it's not affecting anyone else then they can do what they like.
    It definitely gives me a lot of anxiety to think some one is filming in the gym while I'm nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Have came across these twats on YouTube keep popping in my suggestion to watch box. Some are interesting but most are completely false. One girl who went out with a certain well known Dublin fitness blogger now calls herself "a social influencer" wtf? Then she tells us she's a qualified PT from doing an online course. Sorry but you do not learn a trade or anything with out doing it for real.
    It's impossible to find any decent information from the real people who know their fitness stuff online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

GingerLily wrote: »
    It definitely gives me a lot of anxiety to think some one is filming in the gym while I'm nearby.

Wonder what a gym's take on it would be if someone complained about the filming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

leestone wrote: »
    Have came across these twats on YouTube keep popping in my suggestion to watch box. Some are interesting but most are completely false. One girl who went out with a certain well known Dublin fitness blogger now calls herself "a social influencer" wtf? Then she tells us she's a qualified PT from doing an online course. Sorry but you do not learn a trade or anything with out doing it for real.
    It's impossible to find any decent information from the real people who know their fitness stuff online.

What's wrong with you. Don't you want to be an Instagram ass model when you grow up?'

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Radical Dawg

lol - everyone ITT so far: "yeah, I hate that stuff too - I only follow 1 YT channel, but that's because it's the best & only legit one".

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What's wrong with you. Don't you want to be an Instagram ass model when you grow up?'

Ya and take photos of everything I eat and write stuff like "fall in love with the process not the goal"

And be delusional that you been a "social influencer" I can charge 300 quid for an online 6 week program to get you the beach bod i have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Most of them are not honest about how they achieved their physique. Plenty of them offer good advice but essentially sell expectations that will not be achievable. They sell things to people who don't know any better and will ultimately be disillusioned when they don't see the results that 'x' person saw in 'x' timeframe which is pretty sh?tty of them, IMO.

I don't watch any fitness videos myself but people find them entertaining and I don't see any harm in it beyond what I've described above. Actually I'm lying I do watch Clarence Kennedy videos to feel bad about myself sometimes although I think this is more aimed at the 'lifestyle' fitness vloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm a fan of the Lean Machines apart from their overuse of the word awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

What I am sick of is negative threads. Would much rather hear about people's favourite YouTube fitness channels.
    Mark Bell's Supertraining is great, love that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

One thing I hate is that these fitness channels usually show the person eat a ton of Ben and Jerry's while downing their 3rd Monster energy drink of the day.

It's all the same bs in the fitness industry that has really put me off going to the gym so I bought my own weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Rob Lipsett looks great but his lack of personality and irritating wannabe American accent wreck my head...

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Rob Lipsett looks great but his lack of personality and irritating wannabe American accent wreck my head...

Can't fathom how he is so popular at least some like joe Delaney or Brian Keane have some interesting things to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I get all my fitness and lifestyle goals from Bioscience Life, I might as well, it's more honest than most of the other channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

jive wrote: »
    Most of them are not honest about how they achieved their physique. Plenty of them offer good advice but essentially sell expectations that will not be achievable. They sell things to people who don't know any better and will ultimately be disillusioned when they don't see the results that 'x' person saw in 'x' timeframe which is pretty sh?tty of them, IMO.

I haven't seen anyone lie about timescales. It may be true that they omit the information though which is not the same. Rob Lipsett said on the Sigma nutrition podcast that clients have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the time required to see results.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Can't fathom how he is so popular at least some like joe Delaney or Brian Keane have some interesting things to say

Brian Keane hates Coco Pops.

This is a red line issue.

Brian Keane hates Coco Pops.

This is a red line issue.

And wheetabix

+1 for Joe Delaney. His fitness stuff is bland but he's definitely an interesting guy and I love his talks about life and stuff. He's also pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There are only 2 youtube channels that I every got anything out off as a beginner - namely Scooby Werkstatt and to a lesser extent Lee Hayward. Oh and Vicsnatual.

I don't watch any youtube fitness videos anymore as I feel I have enough knowledge to get on with it by myself. Also I don't want to obsess about fitness ad infinitum.

The standard of youtube fitness videos has gone down in recent years. "5 shoulder exercises you should being doing". A click-bait thumbnail of a guy with 8 pack abs as a result of being on 'the perfect diet' - invariably with a perfect tan. It's no wonder younger ppl are suffering from body dysmorphia.

The 90 mins workout I do per day is enough. There are other topics on youtube that I find much more interesting now whether it's a science documentary or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I generally agree. There is quality content out there but it is harder to find due to all the clickbait ****e

Advertisement