Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an Irish man in Taiwan

Options
  • 17-01-2017 10:34am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

After a bit of a hiatus, we're back with our first AMA for 2017! If you think people would like to hear from you, please do apply to do one here.

----

Our next AMA is with an Irish man living and working in Taiwan, an island state known as the Republic of China.
    He is married to a Taiwanese lady and works as a Kindergarten teacher - he tells us that as a foreigner this is technically not legal! He has also lived in both Shanghai in east China and Munich, Germany for a time.

Please welcome Bounty Hunter and ask him a few questions...bear the time difference in mind, he is GMT+8 hours so way ahead of us :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

does he see state censorship in action everyday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not really. It is easier for me to say that too having lived in Shanghai. There I did and when you think of how major sites like Facebook are blocked in China you know without even looking for it that there is a lot of censorship. I think in many ways Taiwan likes to differentiate itself as much from China as possible in things like that even though I am sure there is still some, for example I always laugh watching some channels here like Cos I get some extra English channels I have comedy central and they cut out a load of jokes from shows there or movies (and often as a result the scene doesn't make a lot of sense as a result). This is on the other end of the scale of censorship though and is mostly just done to make the TV cleaner and thus more suitable for TW audience and probably so the channels can repeat popular shows before a later watershed time.

Taiwan is a funny old place because I remember the day after I arrived around 7 years ago (have not been here the full 7 years though) was 10/10 which is essentially Taiwan's independence day but China just kinda ignores it happening every year and says it's part of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In Ireland I haven't come across a male Montessori teacher, I think due to certain ridiculous sexist attitudes. Is there a different culture in Taiwan in this regard or are you just unusual in that regard.

Actually all 3 of the kindergarten teachers in my school are men. I think In Ireland it tends to be mostly women teaching kindie / primary and men gets more prominant with secondary and College. Here though it's very different as I think you get a lot more men than you'd usually get in the industry due to the fact that it also needs to be the type of person willing to live on the other side of the world in a non english speaking country. Also my school I know look for people who have a marrage ARC (alien residence card) instead of just a normal one in part because married teachers are more stable as there is huge turnover with people travelling / working for a year or two. Foreign Men are also far more likely to be married here than Foreign women from my experience.

When I lived in Shanghai I was working in an international kindergarten and remember one parent saying(at a PTA) that he was happy I was his kids teacher as the kid doesn't have much of a male influence at home cos he (The Dad) was never at home. It was weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

What language do they (and you) speak over there. A quick look at Wikipedia shows that Min, and not Mandarin, is the language there. So is Mandarin used in business and education and Min in everyday life, or is Mandarin rejected as the language of the enemy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

What is the job market like for non-teaching jobs now? Was there for a year (Christ, that was 6.5 years ago now) and outside of a few high-level postings, wasn't much going on.

Edit - Haven't gotten around to updating the ol' location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Whats the standard of life there vs income?

In Ireland I would assume Kindergarten teachers don't earn a lot. Is it possible to support a family on this or does your wife also have to work?

I live in London myself and earn a decent amount of money but any teachers i know find it hard to get by as its a very expensive city.

Lucena wrote: »
    What language do they (and you) speak over there. A quick look at Wikipedia shows that Min, and not Mandarin, is the language there. So is Mandarin used in business and education and Min in everyday life, or is Mandarin rejected as the language of the enemy?

Will be very rude and jump in here, Mandarin is the everyday language up north, Taiwanese (a variation of min) is the everyday language from the center of the Island down. In a lot of business Mandarin is the defacto language, although a fair whack of people are bilingual, and again down south it is entirely different.

There are also a ton of aboriginal languages, and some dialects which are really sister languages (a surprising amount of Cantonese amongst older people whose parents came over during the civil war)

Edit again, Seems like I was wrong - the Taiwanese languages are unrelated to Min - left the place 5 years ago, still learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hi BH. What made you venture to Taiwan to being with?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Are you and the people around you afraid China could step in any time and annex Taiwan? If that happens, what are the consequences for yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

What do they call Chinese Food over there?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 artemis268

As an irish, have you considered applying for Taiwanese citizenship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

What is the train service like in Taiwan?

Lucena wrote: »

to simplify things Min = Taiwanese and it's similar to Irish in terms of more older people and more rural people speak Irish but I would say that is still more commonly spoken than Irish. I just call what is spoken Chinese tbh but most people back home refer to it as Mandarin. The thing is though in Taiwan it's Traditional Chinese while China use simplified which is why you see two chinese options if you ever use google translate.

Personally my Chinese is terrible and I know it should be far better. For the majority of the time here I've had only what I would consider survival Chinese and I consider myself a terrible student... I did actually go to college here to learn Chinese for a good few months (6 iirc and 3 of it was part funded by the Irish / Taiwanese association grant I got (actually would have to check the organizations actual name. but cos my written Chinese was poor I had to enter at complete beginner and eventually wanted to do full time work again and make a good living.
    Whats the standard of life there vs income?

In Ireland I would assume Kindergarten teachers don't earn a lot. Is it possible to support a family on this or does your wife also have to work?

I live in London myself and earn a decent amount of money but any teachers i know find it hard to get by as its a very expensive city.

My wife does also work, In publishing but we don't have a family yet so it's not too bad and now we are saving for such things after moving around a good bit.

The wage and standard of living especially when compared to cost of living is very good for a foreigner here especially when compared to local people doing similar jobs. This is especially the case when you compare local and foreign teachers in the same schools as often the English teacher is a big selling point for the school and a bit of a front for them as they sell the whole taught by a native speaker narrative. they know however that unlike in Ireland they have to offer a decent wage to get people to want to move there to work.

in terms of per hour wage it might not sound like a lot but cost of living here is very low while it is still a developed country.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hi BH. What made you venture to Taiwan to being with?

Originally it was a mix of things but timing mostly. It was when the economy was getting really bad in Ireland I had had a years experience sub teaching in Ireland but (there were not too many jobs going and I) was the age where I still wanted to travel while earning. I actually applied to a lot of countries after I did the specific Teaching English as a Foreign Language course but the one that replied at the right speed for how ready I was to move was from Taiwan and the cost of living plus interesting location seemed Ideal. I guess in part because I didn't expect it to necessarily be a long term gig but getting married kinda changed that.
    unkel wrote: »
    Are you and the people around you afraid China could step in any time and annex Taiwan? If that happens, what are the consequences for yourself?

I would say nobody is afraid of that and yet the weird thing is I've heard people still say they would not be shocked if in 10 years China did take over. Instead though it seems Taiwan will just continue to be essentially it's own continue in every way possible apart from being recognized internationally as it's own country. Ireland don't even have an embassy here.
    OU812 wrote: »
    What do they call Chinese Food over there?

Most English speakers would actually still say Chinese Food :p

;)
    artemis268 wrote: »
    As an irish, have you considered applying for Taiwanese citizenship?

I think there would be very little benefits in doing so compared to my current status under my marriage visa and there may be benefits if we have kids, me just being an Irish citizen but inlaws say far too much stuff about when you have kids to you here.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    What is the train service like in Taiwan?

Really good. The MRT (metro) covers Tapei brilliantly and you are never far from a station plus there is a train for almost every line within a few minutes. Makes it so I haven't driven while I've been here. Though I do like to Cycle to work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Are you playing any GAA? Involved in the Irish community much?

Are you playing any GAA? Involved in the Irish community much?

There is a GAA team near enough to where I am living at the moment but I haven't been too involved in the Irish community. I have a few Irish friends here but I mostly spend time either with Taiwanese people or my work people who are Canadian and South African. I thought about getting involved in the Rugby team here but tbh with the amount of hours (all on my feet essentially) I am doing now plus cycling I get about enough exercise and need weekends to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Asian Games is always a class weekend for the GAA, in Shanghai last two years but moving to Bangkok this year.

What's the Taiwan view on mainlanders?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What would be the national sport of Taiwan?

Asian Games is always a class weekend for the GAA, in Shanghai last two years but moving to Bangkok this year.

What's the Taiwan view on mainlanders?

That they are generally a little bit ruder / direct would be the main thing I think. When I lived there examples of big changes from TW was how often people spit on the floor in China or how they will ask you how much you get payed and / or pay in rent the first time they meet you. There is also a much bigger difference between the rich and non rich in China imo and because TW didn't have the same limitations on numbers of kids that China did there is def the image that people from China can be a bit more self entitled having been single children who maybe are used to getting things their own way etc.
    What would be the national sport of Taiwan?

Baseball would be the biggest sport here. The NBA is pretty big and Jeremy Lin is a pretty big star cos he's Taiwanese American. Actually running is pretty big which is how I ended up doing a lot of half Marathons while living here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How's the food? Similar to China or do the have a distinct cuisine?

I would say it's similar to China, although eating foreign food is probably more common here in general because there is less of a wage gap in TW imo and there is a good lot of fried stuff here despite people generally eating healthily. It's rare enough you get overweight Taiwanese people. The most famous TWese food is probably not a great example for foreign people as it's stinky tofu but despite that I generally like the food.

Thing is people eat out a lot more here in TW than say in Ireland as it is so cheap and it can actually cost almost as much to cook for yourself at home anyway.

How easy is online shopping these days? I remember that everyone had stuff delivered to 7-11, but there was no Amazon or the like, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was all coming from :D

If you are in Taipei, are rents still on an upward trajectory? have wages kept up over the last 4 years or so?

I think wages have kept at the same kinda level, rent is dependent on the areas but Taipei is always expanding and people are going to the now more built up outskirts to get good rent. Places like Nangang or Xike have great transport to them and are built up but the rent is much less for example. Rent is obviously cheaper outside or Taipei / down south.

It's still the same with 7/11 and Amazon. I find it kinda weird but I guess there is a convenience store on every block of every street essentially so it kinda makes sense its so central and I think there are just a lot more smaller sites instead of Amazon but im sure it'll eventually buy into this market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How much is a pint?

And are there many Villa fans over there?

How much is a pint?

And are there many Villa fans over there?

It's cheaper here if you'd convert the cost to euros but Drinking is one of the few things where you could spend a lot cos unlike eating out and other things it isn't as cheap as they are in comparison.

Let's just say There aren't huge amounts of people staying up to watch Villa play in the championship on a stream here with me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

It's cheaper here if you'd convert the cost to euros but Drinking is one of the few things where you could spend a lot cos unlike eating out and other things it isn't as cheap as they are in comparison.

Let's just say There aren't huge amounts of people staying up to watch Villa play in the championship on a stream here with me. :pac:

What kind of internet speeds do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Do people know anything about Ireland? Where it is, its history and culture?

How did you meet your wife?

Are you super attractive as a Westerner?

Is there the ratio of like 4 men to a woman there or is that different due to the aabsence of the one child rule?

Is there a dole, minimum wage?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey BH! Are there any day to day things we'd take for granted in Ireland but you can't in TW, or otherwise? Eg drinking tap water, plumbing?

Also can u explain internet shopping re: amazon/7-11? Is it just you collect it from 7-11s and everything else is the same? Are there crazy import charges?

As a Westerner are you treated differently when you're shopping/going out to eat (with/without the missus)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has there been any tension since Trumps phone call to Taiwans president? Or how was that taken by Taiwans people? Do they think he's using them as a pawn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement