Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go on a cruise??

Options
  • 16-01-2017 1:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

I turn 48 in a couple of days and the missus wants to go on a spring cruise as my present (to her..)
    I'm not sold on the idea, would much prefer a city break compared to being stuck on a boat with thousands of people eating bland food, watching low quality entertainment and staying in dingy quarters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Never -- Seasickness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

There are loads of lovely girls on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Let's be honest OP, if your wife wants to go on a cruise you'll end up going or you'll pay the price.
    Maybe Jim Davidson will be doing stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I would love to go... Especially on a Sun cruise

Am in my 50's myself and its on my bucket list. Would love to just chill on deck all day and dress up for dinner later. No cash needed as all paid for.

Aaahhh....... Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would rather go on the titanic

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Bone Cancer

nullzero wrote: »
    Let's be honest OP, if your wife wants to go on a cruise you'll end up going or you'll pay the price.
    Maybe Jim Davidson will be doing stand up.

I fear she has already booked it and is just trying to convince me before I get the ticket for my birthday. I suppose I'll just get blind drunk for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No....i seen titanic when i was growing up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

That sank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Was on one last year. Amazing. Best holiday ever. Will go again in a few years.
    Fort Lauderdale - Haiti - Jamaica - Mexico - Fort Lauderdale. Then on to New York for 3 nights.

Marcellus Wallace was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Marcellus Wallace was right.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The modern version of upstairs downstairs.
    You will be upstairs suited and booted wining and dining and the crew (probably Filipino) will be working downstairs for poor pay and
    conditions.
    If you think your cabin is small you should see where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not since I read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go on a daytrip to Holyhead first to see if the sea is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I'd love to go on a cruise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I almost went working on the ships back in 2012. God knows what I was thinking though. Large bodies of water (the canal) makes me feel nervous and I can't describe how unsettling I find boats/ships just to look at.

I'd rather spend dolla on an all inclusive in a 5* in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

If it's booked and non-refundable, I suppose you could treat it as an opportunity to laze around and do nothing for a while. Personally, a European break with really good accommodation would be more to my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I went on one a few years ago. My grandmother saved for years to go and my grandfather was completely against the idea of going, so I went with her. It was fanastic! All you can eat food (it was far from bland), multiple swimming pools, nice weather, seeing various countries in one trip (like tasters so you know which ones to go back to), stunning uninterrupted sunsets. I would definitely go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

A cruise is a fantastic holiday.

I've been on a few, and for the first one, I really didn't want to go... But have been on more since.

Wake up every morning in a new city.
    Lots of booze, crazy amount of entertainment and activities on board.

Lots of places to eat, great variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sure, if he was stung by a jellyfish I'd be glad to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Probably not, but maybe if Echo and The Bunnymen were the ship's resident band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYAWSjFk4M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've been on a cruise. It was great! Researched the whole thing like mad on the Cruise Critic forums so I knew the most cost effective ways to tackle each city I landed in.

Get your drinks package upfront so you don't have a bigger bill at the end.

Food was great.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That's not normally my kind of travel but I'd love to try ! Not a rough, gambling ship though, more like a quiet European one. I would read, stare at the sea, eat, read, stare...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A cruise would not be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Never.

I may be wrong, but I've always considered them as being sorta scammy.
    Sort of like a hostage situation where you end up spending much more money than you'd planned, to 'get the most out of' your experience.

I also find the whole packaged nature of it odd, and can't see how anybody would prefer it to having a holiday with a more flexible itinerary.

I think you'd be dead right to push for the city break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

I'm 28 and would be known as your typical Santa ponsa holiday goer.

I'm just back from a cruise in the Middle East. Brilliant craic was had, so much so we've booked another one for May in the carribean. They're brilliant craic, you can realistically get away with spending not one penny on them or spend loads as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'd like to go on one to see if the experience is worth it. You get to hop off and see a few cities or towns you wouldn't think of going to. Might give you ideas on where to go back to for a longer holiday.
    I saw pictures of a blogger who was on Harmony of the Seas which is probably very expensive. The only downside seemed to me that they were all packed like sardines at the pool area which I'd hate.
    At 48 you'd probably be in the younger demographic but maybe try it out once, it might be a great experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At 48 you'd probably be in the younger demographic but maybe try it out once, it might be a great experience.

The age thing no longer a thing. There is a wider age variety on cruises nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I turn 48 in a couple of days and the missus wants to go on a spring cruise as my present (to her..)
    I'm not sold on the idea, would much prefer a city break compared to being stuck on a boat with thousands of people eating bland food, watching low quality entertainment and staying in dingy quarters.
    I was of the same opinion when it was suggested to me. So...

1. 'Stuck on a boat' doesn't really describe it. I did a 14 day cruise and was still finding new bits of the ship on the last day.

2. Food was great. Even the buffet stuff. 'Sit down' dinners were outstanding.

3. Won't argue with the entertainment. Not really my thing anyway, and easily avoided.

4. Quarters were far from 'dingy'. As good, if not better than many a hotel I've stayed in. Pay the extra for a balcony though. Balconies are worth it.

5. You didn't ask, but I'll answer anyway. Yes. If you order a club sandwich to your room at 4am, it'll arrive about 20 minutes later. On a big ol' tray with a plate of chips and a side salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You'd rather go on a boat that would definitely sink, than on a boat that probably wouldn't?

OK...

Advertisement