Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Poo = Gold

US researchers are investigating ways to extract the gold and precious metals from human faeces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32026636

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did you know that skunks when run over, smell for several hours and possibly days, of over brewed coffee.

I have come across a few dead skunks in my time and none ever smelled of coffee - over brewed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Skunk weed smells like skunk apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ipso wrote: »
    I doubt over brewed coffee smells like dead skunk. The smell of a dead skunk is horrible, just like a live skunk really.

Local knowledge from numerous people in Tennessee say otherwise, and it wasn't just a p*ss take........ Or......... Was.......... It.

Genuinely though, when hit by a car they pong and definitely have a coffee smell, imo only, and idid Google it and others get the same smell (many others get something different though! :))

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have come across a few dead skunks in my time and none ever smelled of coffee - over brewed or not.

Can you give a brief run down (aroma description) for various common furred wild animals? I found fox and wolf very similar (my amateur description - smoky, distinctive, catches in the nose).

Dead skunk (roadkill) very similar. No skunk emissions present presumably?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

stimpson wrote: »
    Skunk weed smells like skunk apparently.

I never knew skunks smoke weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Esel wrote: »
    Can you give a brief run down (aroma description) for various common furred wild animals? I found fox and wolf very similar (my amateur description - smoky, distinctive, catches in the nose).

Dead skunk (roadkill) very similar. No skunk emissions present presumably?

A dead skunk smells like the defensive secretions; rotten cabbage with a strong hint of sulphur and a large dash of rotten eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Genuinely though, when hit by a car they pong and definitely have a coffee smell, imo only, and idid Google it and others get the same smell (many others get something different though! :))

maybe they smell like that stuff Americans call coffee, you know the stuff that sits in a hot jug for hours / days at a time at a random truck stop and has the consistency of treacle. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Which would explain why some people don't like coffee. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Muckie wrote: »
    Poo = Gold

US researchers are investigating ways to extract the gold and precious metals from human faeces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32026636

Eat Poo........50 Million Flies acn't be wrong

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The Spanish National Anthem has no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Kat1170 wrote: »
    The Spanish National Anthem has no words.

"Eamon Dunphy claims the non-singing of the Spanish anthem by their players was a deliberate show of unity between Basques/Catalans/Castilians. Yes, the Spanish anthem that has no lyrics."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^

It was actually the non-unity of the various Spanish factions that led to the anthem having no words. each wanted their own words to it, so, hence, no words.

Although their original use was limited to military applications, drones are increasingly used as commercial delivery systems, and for recreation like drone racing. At their worst, they're used to bomb the bejeezus out of remote or difficult to infiltrate places, and to smuggle contraband with little risk to the originator, but at their best they're revolutionising how lives are saved in remote places.

The advent of drones means that remote areas of the world are now able to take delivery of life saving medicines and equipment and of life enhancing goods like schoolbooks. Since the middle of last year, drones have been used to supply the most remote areas of Rwanda with blood and medicines safely and promptly, without the need for aircraft or road transport or any road network or airfield, in an initiative that first sought to evaluate the use of drones to make those same deliveries to remote parts of the US.

It's been a huge success and drones are currently being used to send schoolbooks to remote areas of Malawi, medical supplies to the most sparsely populated areas of Australia, and to supply materials to improve aspects of life to the poorest people in some of the worlds most remote areas.

Among the challenges that follow natural disasters or war are issues like roads made unusable and airfields destroyed. This can severely limit the ability to deliver humanitarian aid to those on the ground, costing lives and facilitating the spread of disease. Future outcomes might look considerably less grim with the use of drones to drop essential supplies safely and quickly right to the centre of a hot zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The B-52 of Dr Strangelove fame has been in service with the US Air Force for so long that it was introduced closer to the first flight of the Wright Brothers' plane than the present day. It's expected to go on into the 2040s, so it could conceivably be a 90-year old design and still in active service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Kat1170 wrote: »
    ^^^

It was actually the non-unity of the various Spanish factions that led to the anthem having no words. each wanted their own words to it, so, hence, no words.

Eamon's logic is right but the facts are off.

American Airlines took one olive out of each first class salad, and saved $40,000 over the course of 1987.

That works out at about $87,000 today.

I meant to add, AA recently put their pilot manuals on iPads, and the resultant weight loss over the paper manual gives them a saving of around $2m p.a. in fuel costs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The B-52 of Dr Strangelove fame has been in service with the US Air Force for so long that it was introduced closer to the first flight of the Wright Brothers' plane than the present day. It's expected to go on into the 2040s, so it could conceivably be a 90-year old design and still in active service.
    Same is true of the Tu-95

But it's got propellers and is a direct descendant of the B-29 :cool:

Unlike the B52 it's also been used as an Airliner and Airborne Radar.

It is also insanely loud at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

And Love Shack and Rock Lobster fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Candie wrote: »
    American Airlines took one olive out of each first class salad, and saved $40,000 over the course of 1987.

That works out at about $87,000 today.

Ah poor Olive:mad:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Turk is a medieval word for fish, hence the pub in Dublin being called the Turks Head Chop House, the building was once a large fishmongers in medieval times. I never knew that myself until earlier on today when I was standing outside the Turks Head and overheard Robert Ballagh explaining this factoid to a mate of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The man who most likely saved the world from nuclear war in the 80s died in may with little or no fanfare

His name should be more widely known imo (stanislav petrov)

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-man-who-saved-the-world-by-averting-nuclear-war-dies-aged-77-20170918.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

The man who most likely saved the world from nuclear war in the 80s died in may with little or no fanfare

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-man-who-saved-the-world-by-averting-nuclear-war-dies-aged-77-20170918.amp.html

Can't post links:
    Another frightening/great read about how close we have come to nuclear war is "Able Archer 83"

Makes you wonder how easy it would be for NK to make an unintentional mistake that triggers an attack, or even a cyber attack not necessarily getting control of weapons, but getting control of something else that could trigger a first strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

An unlikely hero who also prevented a war was singer James Blunt.... who's more widely known today for his witty twitter comebacks and telling random strangers their beautiful!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-11753050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Turk is a medieval word for fish, hence the pub in Dublin being called the Turks Head Chop House, the building was once a large fishmongers in medieval times. I never knew that myself until earlier on today when I was standing outside the Turks Head and overheard Robert Ballagh explaining this factoid to a mate of his.

Robert Ballagh designed this Irish £5 note back in 1994

I remember the rumor at the time was the girl sitting at the front reading from a book, was a daughter of a well known man from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Snotty wrote: »
    Can't post links:
    Another frightening/great read about how close we have come to nuclear war is "Able Archer 83"

Makes you wonder how easy it would be for NK to make an unintentional mistake that triggers an attack, or even a cyber attack not necessarily getting control of weapons, but getting control of something else that could trigger a first strike.

Since the introduction of nuclear weapons there has been a reduction in wars. Fewer countries now invade other countries with the purpose of controlling that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

begbysback wrote: »
    Since the introduction of nuclear weapons there has been a reduction in wars. Fewer countries now invade other countries with the purpose of controlling that country.

Just the US so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

How cone they didn't use nuclear weapons in the Vietnam war?

Used everything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

A very different type of war. The method of guerrilla style tactics of the VietCong meant there wasn't a central location to target for a nuclear strike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement