Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

65% of the world population is lactose intolerant. With some countries coming in at near 100% rates.

Ireland has a rate of 4%, the joint least with Denmark in the world.

I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing. But it is remarkable enough nonetheless.

Source: About 2/5's down this page.

*Ireland has a range of prevalence of 0-8, with Denmark 0-9. So you can make an argument that Ireland is the least lactose intolerant country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Meanaspie wrote: »
    I picked it up somewhere over the years that it was Napoleon himself that changed it as he was left handed and wished to pass people on the opposite of the road with his weapon hand closest to them

Yeah, that was the anecdote, because Napoleon etc., but as with many an anecdote....

In fact it was the government of Robespierre that decreed right-hand traffic. Napoleon just adopted it afterwards for his campaigns.

A little fact I came across: There are around 29 million kilometers of roads in the world, only on 8 million kilometers people drive on the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

To grow a seedless fruits you need to stop bees getting to the flowers when growing which means the fruit crops need to be covered in huge nets if grown outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Carry wrote: »
    Yeah, that was the anecdote, because Napoleon etc., but as with many an anecdote....

In fact it was the government of Robespierre that decreed right-hand traffic. Napoleon just adopted it afterwards for his campaigns.

A little fact I came across: There are around 29 million kilometers of roads in the world, only on 8 million kilometers people drive on the left side.

And 7 million kilometres of that are back roads in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And 7 million kilometres of that are back roads in Ireland.

Yeah but people only drive on the left on the straight parts, from what I can tell they take the bends on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah but people only drive on the left on the straight parts, from what I can tell they take the bends on the right.

but you have to take the bend on the right because of all the eejits doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

65% of the world population is lactose intolerant. With some countries coming in at near 100% rates.

Ireland has a rate of 4%, the joint least with Denmark in the world.

I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing. But it is remarkable enough nonetheless.

Source: About 2/5's down this page.

*Ireland has a range of prevalence of 0-8, with Denmark 0-9. So you can make an argument that Ireland is the least lactose intolerant country in the world.

most cats are also lactose intolerant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BailMeOut wrote: »
    To grow a seedless fruits you need to stop bees getting to the flowers when growing which means the fruit crops need to be covered in huge nets if grown outside.

Not at all. Seedless fruit varieties are obtained from grafted species selected for a genetic mutation that stops the protective coating forming on the seed. If a conventional flowering fruit plant is prevented from it's flowers being pollenated then no fruit will form at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Dont know if its true, but sounds true....that humans are the only mammal that drinks milk as an adult. Maybe we shouldn't be drinking it if we aren't designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We're not designed to hurtle through the sky at 600 miles an hour, but here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dont know if its true, but sounds true....that humans are the only mammal that drinks milk as an adult. Maybe we shouldn't be drinking it if we aren't designed for it.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

More like "other animals don't have opposable thumbs to open the fridge and pour themselves some or to milk the cows themselves", because I can assure you that if young but adult cats (for instance) get a chance, they'll suckle from their mother even when they're bigger than she is. And lots of animals love milk, only their lactose intolerance makes it unsuitable for them as a food. Give cats, dogs, hedgehogs, etc a saucer of goats milk (or to the first two even lactose-free cows milk) and they'll most definitely drink it, they love it. Also, in some temples (Hindu ones, IIRC), offerings of milk are made to one of their gods (the elephant one, I think - sorry but I can't remember the name), and thousands of rats can be seen drinking it from the saucers left out for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The polar bear and the Kodiak brown bear are the worlds largest land predators.

ansgar_walk_pb_1.jpg2010-kodiak-bear-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

"The majority of trainee primary school teachers are white, Irish and Catholic and do not reflect our diverse population"

Sciprio wrote: »
    "The majority of trainee primary school teachers are white, Irish and Catholic and do not reflect our diverse population"

In Pakistan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh you forgot to mention then the majority would also be female or would that not suit the political point you are trying to make

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In Pakistan?

"Could be Cork for all i know." :pac::pac::pac:

Look at Sciprio's location
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh you forgot to mention then the majority would also be female or would that not suit the political point you are trying to make.:rolleyes:
    It's actually just a joke taking on the other current thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057915186 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

In Pakistan?
    It's in quotes, I think he's giving the polar bear in mzungu's post dialogue.

And quite right too, very few polar bears are Irish or Catholic. Though they're all white. Hybrids with "Brown" bears to use mzungu's PC terminology are rare, because polar bears are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

mzungu wrote: »
    The polar bear and the Kodiak brown bear are the worlds largest land predators.

ansgar_walk_pb_1.jpg2010-kodiak-bear-1.jpg

I do hope they used a very long telephoto lens otherwise they may have ended up like Timothy Treadwell.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Not at all. Seedless fruit varieties are obtained from grafted species selected for a genetic mutation that stops the protective coating forming on the seed. If a conventional flowering fruit plant is prevented from it's flowers being pollenated then no fruit will form at all.

just read a very long article about the largest pomegranate producer in world, Stewart Resnick who is also the biggest farmer in the United States in California who also produces a lot of seedless mandarin oranges. They talked a lot of about they have huge nets to stop the bees so the oranges would have no seeds. Made sense when reading but I guess article could be wrong.
    Resnick’s billions rely on his ability to master water, sun, soil, and even bees. When he first planted seedless mandarins in the valley 17 years ago, the bees from the citrus orchards around him were flying into his groves, pollinating his flowers, and putting seeds into the flesh of his fruit. He told his neighbors to alter the flight of the bees or he’d sue them for trespassing. The farmers responded that the path of a bee wasn’t something they could supervise, and they threatened to sue him back. The dispute over the “no fly zone” was finally resolved by the invention of a netting that Resnick sheathes around his mandarins each spring. The plastic unfurls across the grove like a giant roll of Saran Wrap. No bee can penetrate the shield, and his mandarins remain seedless.

Resnick’s billions rely on his ability to master water, sun, soil, and even bees. When he first planted seedless mandarins in the valley 17 years ago, the bees from the citrus orchards around him were flying into his groves, pollinating his flowers, and putting seeds into the flesh of his fruit. He told his neighbors to alter the flight of the bees or he’d sue them for trespassing. The farmers responded that the path of a bee wasn’t something they could supervise, and they threatened to sue him back. The dispute over the “no fly zone” was finally resolved by the invention of a netting that Resnick sheathes around his mandarins each spring. The plastic unfurls across the grove like a giant roll of Saran Wrap. No bee can penetrate the shield, and his mandarins remain seedless.

Reminds me of the fable (Aesop's? La Fontein? -sp.) of the wolf who accused the lamb (who was drinking water downstream from him) of making his drinking water murky. :/

I'd be curious to see the "shield", because if bees can't get in, as sure as hell there's some other insect pollinating the plants. The "seedlessness" is obtained by selecting and crossing plants that will eventually produce sterile fruit.

Fourier wrote: »
    polar bears are racist.

It's actually just a joke taking on the other current thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057915186 :p

I'd safely bet we all knew that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

From 1864 to 1870, Paraguay fought a war against Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. It was a disaster- "almost 70% of its adult male population died, according to some counts, and it was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil. According to some estimates, Paraguay's pre-war population of 525,000 was reduced to 221,000, of which only 28,000 were men."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War

just read a very long article about the largest pomegranate producer in world, Stewart Resnick who is also the biggest farmer in the United States in California who also produces a lot of seedless mandarin oranges. They talked a lot of about they have huge nets to stop the bees so the oranges would have no seeds. Made sense when reading but I guess article could be wrong.

That's a completely different scenario, the mandarin grower. He was growing seedless varieties and was paranoid about the risk of cross pollination - which was unfounded. He was, let's be kind and say, eccentric.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A fact that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the vast majority of primary schools were setup by Catholic or Protestant churches with predictable biases.

Also back in the day primary school teachers weren't allowed to vote. Because dealing with so many children on a daily basis would affect their judgment.

just read a very long article about the largest pomegranate producer in world.

I can be so thick, at times... :rolleyes: I got this the first time around I read it, but I've just re-read this a second ago, and I immediately thought, "Wait, how would you even get seedless pomegranates? What would be the point? To get hollow pods??"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From 1864 to 1870, Paraguay fought a war against Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. It was a disaster- "almost 70% of its adult male population died
    It was insane.

One in three soldiers below the rank of captain were allowed shoot anyone they suspected of desertion or treason or some such.

After the war monogamy was suspended so they say due to a lack of me.

And all the fault of Corkwoman Eliza Lynch depending on who you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

From 1864 to 1870, Paraguay fought a war against Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. It was a disaster- "almost 70% of its adult male population died, according to some counts, and it was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil. According to some estimates, Paraguay's pre-war population of 525,000 was reduced to 221,000, of which only 28,000 were men."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War

On a happier note Paraguayan men in the 1870's had a gooooooood time! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement