Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Vintage tax and insurance

• 14-01-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭ El Inho

Hi all,

Pardon the "about to become apparent" pun, but I know this topic is done to death.

Small family business has a 1996 Scorpio hearse. I know many will turn in their graves (jesus I can't stop) at the thought of classifying a Scorpio as vintage, but what are the benefits for such an old vehicle?
    • what rate of vintage tax is there?
    • what rate of insurance is there (it only does limitage milage too)
    • it's still used for funerals. does this mean commercial is the only option?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,845 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

• Need to be 1987 (30 years) or older for vintage tax which is a flat €56 across the board.
    • Not sure on insurance as the hearse would not be a private car so would need some kind of commercial policy.
    • The rate for a hearse is €102 a year, I presume the vehicle can't be used for any other purpose other than funeral related business to be allowed that rate of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭ El Inho

• Need to be 1987 (30 years) or older for vintage tax which is a flat €56 across the board.
    • Not sure on insurance as the hearse would not be a private car so would need some kind of commercial policy.
    • The rate for a hearse is €102 a year, I presume the vehicle can't be used for any other purpose other than funeral related business to be allowed that rate of tax.

My god, I knew it was thirty years. I thought 1996 was thirty years ago. I'm 28. This is the stupidest I've been in my life. Please disregard everything. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades

I wouldn't worry, El Inho... I read your post and thought "wow" a vintage Scorpio! Brain freeze!

Advertisement