Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games? (Part II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've just finished Stranger things and loved playing it, anything similar worth playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody know of any app that informs you of what films are on TV daily?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody know of any app that informs you of what films are on TV daily?

On mobile or I would have linked.

Give seriesguide on the store a look.

Or you talking about Irish/UK channels or what is airing on other international stations?

Edit:- just noticed you where requesting films.

Edit 2: - Not apps but entertainment.ie use to give good listings of what was on, but they changed recently and no longer give full listing.

Here is another site, but only gives today's movies and not advance listings.
    https://www.ontvtonight.com/uk/guide/genres/movies.html

That site has apps for various countries, but not very good as you can't search, just for movies airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nextfilm.co.uk (customisable with mobile site) and
    TVguide.co.uk/upcomingfilms.asp (APP HERE) have a listing of the films on each night on UKTV.
    I don't know of one that includes Ireland.

Entertainment.ie/tv/ and virgin etc. have TV listings but neither seem to single out the movies.

@Suckit Entertainment.ie you use to be able to search and filter by movies showing, but they changed the page recently so you could only search by provider. And the listing are not complete. Changed this week.

I use to use it during the summer to research/create upcoming movies listing in the Recommended Movies thread. example post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks very much Corkie and Suckit.

Your input as always is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

TV listings Ireland had that feature but appears to be gone from the store. Anyone know what happened it?

Edit: aertel page 183 has them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Podcast app, what are people using? Been on Pocket Casts for years but hate the new update, it's absolutely awful. Looking mainly for playback speed control, cross device sync, web version, and no ads. Don't mind paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What update? Pocketcasts hasn't changed for years and I wouldn't use anything else. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    What update? Pocketcasts hasn't changed for years and I wouldn't use anything else. :)

I always said the same.

The new version 7 that rolled out the other day. It's left two icons in my app drawer, takes ages to open, and won't default open on my list of new episodes any more (always launches on the grid of followed podcasts). Queueing is clunkier now too.

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2018/11/15/pocket-casts-major-redesign-made-it-my-favorite-podcast-app-again/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Patww79 wrote: »
    I always said the same.

The new version 7 that rolled out the other day. It's left two icons in my app drawer, takes ages to open, and won't default open on my list of new episodes any more (always launches on the grid of followed podcasts). Queueing is clunkier now too.

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2018/11/15/pocket-casts-major-redesign-made-it-my-favorite-podcast-app-again/

I didn't notice the two icons until you mentioned that. It's a bit clunky but it's a beta so I would expect it to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i find acast best. and i have tried so many. was excited about google podcasts developing as a standalone app, but its only nice looking on the surface....acast is my go to one. slick, easy, and good looking.....chromecast support too which i do use a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been a Beyond Pod Pro user for years but it's annoying be a little off late.

I have a widget that I use very often but it's very laggy at the moment. It also struggles with auto updates too. I am not sure if this is an issue with androids recent battery saving updates, the app itself or a replacement pixel 2 that I got recently.

Spotify is having similar issues lately but nowhere near as bad/often.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I always said the same.

The new version 7 that rolled out the other day. It's left two icons in my app drawer, takes ages to open

I'm not having either of these issues on my Oneplus 3T and I have to say that I really like the new features.

The new app is in Beta - can't you roll back to the previous version if you were happy with it while they iron out a few bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The lastest update to the beta should fix the two icon problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Ive installed the 1.1.1.1 app and im finding the load times on everything faster?

Is there any catch im missing? battery drain using a VPN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm using it through the Private DNS setting on Android 9, so I'm not sure if the app causes drain.

The setting for Private DNS is:
    1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com

In case anyone was looking for it :)

The lastest update to the beta should fix the two icon problem.

Yep that one rolled out last night fixed it. They still need to make adding episodes to your 'up next' less clunky. There wasn't anything wrong with it before.

Btw acast is a very nice app indeed, though it focuses a little too heavily on recommendations for my liking.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'm using it through the Private DNS setting on Android 9, so I'm not sure if the app causes drain.

Do you have to subscribe to something for that?

Do you have to subscribe to something for that?

Nope, just bang it that address, click Save and all DNS requests will go through cloudflare then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

BKWDR wrote: »
    Ive installed the 1.1.1.1 app and im finding the load times on everything faster?

Is there any catch im missing? battery drain using a VPN?

I installed it and after a few days the battery was decimated. Uninstalled.

Are you suppose to replace the "dot" with actual dots? Tried it both ways and it would not work on my device.

Edit: - Tried it again now and it worked. Make sure you have an active connection when applying it. Don't replace the "dot"!

Followed the instructions for it on my laptop, but with the dns redirected, could not access my rooter settings page when I did.
    GBX wrote: »
    I installed it and after a few days the battery was decimated. Uninstalled.

VPN's in general are battery eaters, also with that app, you can not use another VPN, while using the app. Hence why I did not download it.

corkie wrote: »
    Are you suppose to replace the "dot" with actual dots? Tried it both ways and it would not work on my device.

Edit: - Tried it again now and it worked. Make sure you have an active connection when applying it. Don't replace the "dot"!

Followed the instructions for it on my laptop, but with the dns redirected, could not access my rooter settings page when I did.

VPN's in general are battery eaters, also with that app, you can not use another VPN, while using the app. Hence why I did not download it.

You set it up on your laptop? :)

You set it up on your laptop? :)
    Setup on PC

Setting up 1.1.1.1 takes two minutes and requires no technical skill or special software. Even if you’re a computer novice, pick your device below for an easy-to-follow setup guide.

Click on the Start menu, then click on Control Panel.
    Click on Network and Internet.
    Click on Change Adapter Settings.
    Right click on the Wi-Fi network you are connected to, then click Properties.
    Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (or Version 6 if desired).
    Click Properties.
    Write down any existing DNS server entries for future reference.
    Click Use The Following DNS Server Addresses.
    Replace those addresses with the 1.1.1.1 DNS addresses:
    For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
    For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
    Click OK, then Close.
    Restart your browser.
    You’re all set! Your device now has faster, more private DNS servers ✌️✌️

https://1.1.1.1/

I still don't really get it. Who is running this VPN and where is all your info going via when using it?

Like is it safe to run your bank login or card details through them?

• Advertisement

I still don't really get it. Who is running this VPN and where is all your info going via when using it?

Like is it safe to run your bank login or card details through them?

Cloudflare’s speedy 1.1.1.1 DNS service now available on iOS and Android

So if you use the VPN app on android or iOS, all traffic would be routed through there servers.

Boards(and other sites) use there servers to protect against DDoS.

You occasionally see a redirect when the servers are busy.

Advertisement