Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Valley SC Parking Charges

Options
  • 13-01-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Anyone know about pending charges for parking in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre? - I've only heard it from people talking - no idea if it has any validity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Could possibly be one of the conditions put on their proposed expansion, but there's no official validity to this. I'm not really sure they could start charging for the existing car park though.

Also, it'd put them at a massive disadvantage compared to the nearby Blanchardstown, which is still charge free, so I think it's unlikely they'll do this unless they are forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,269 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MJohnston wrote: »
    Also, it'd put them at a massive disadvantage compared to the nearby Blanchardstown, which is still charge free, so I think it's unlikely they'll do this unless they are forced to.

Toll probably more expensive than parking charge.

Victor wrote: »
    Toll probably more expensive than parking charge.

If you have a tag, it's probably not - Dundrum is the only other out-of-town shopping centre I can think of (and its not even really) with parking charges, and that's €3 for 1 hour (with hours 2 and 3 'free'). M50 with a tag is €2.10. Granted that's marginal, but still, if they were to charge above €3 it'd be a big turn off for some.

If you have a tag, it's probably not - Dundrum is the only other out-of-town shopping centre I can think of (and its not even really) with parking charges, and that's €3 for 1 hour (with hours 2 and 3 'free'). M50 with a tag is €2.10. Granted that's marginal, but still, if they were to charge above €3 it'd be a big turn off for some.
    But you have to come back. :)

Yeah, you're right, didnt think of that. That said, I still think its really unlikely they'd do this unless forced to. Blanchardstown isn't their only competition after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

They have to regulate demand for parking spots somehow. Especially since the extension opened. This, perhaps during peak hours, would be one way of doing so.

Pter wrote: »
    They have to regulate demand for parking spots somehow.

Why would they have to though? I mean Blanch has an awful layout, and much more parking in comparison to LV, yet doesn't have to have pay parking.

Though perhaps the terrible layout at Blanch is their way of regulating demand!

Why would they have to though? I mean Blanch has an awful layout, and much more parking in comparison to LV, yet doesn't have to have pay parking.

Though perhaps the terrible layout at Blanch is their way of regulating demand!

Well i would think the regulation would come down to capacity rather than layout, and as you say, Blanch has a much bigger capacity (even before they reduced the capacity to make way for Penneys et al).

Doesnt make sense to charge €1 for parking when you have 100's of free spots, but makes much more sense when spots are in short supply (as is the case at peak times in LV).

However, id count the 3 retail parks in blanch as part of the parking for the centre, but i wouldnt count the retail park in LV; mainly because of the walking distances involved in getting from the retail parks to the main centre (which i think is bigger in LV).

Isn't the expansion supposed to be out towards the retail park though?

LV has pretty good capacity in terms of traffic at least, compared to Blanch anyway

Isn't the expansion supposed to be out towards the retail park though?

LV has pretty good capacity in terms of traffic at least, compared to Blanch anyway

I havent seen any plans, but id imagine its kind of to the back of the middle part (where you currently get to that Pirates Cove play area place). Im not sure and just speculating though, as thats the only remaining barren land near the centre.

In fairness to LV, when they employ traffic director lads, traffic does move much smoother. Without them, getting out of the place (at that roundabound between the cinema parking area and starbucks/middle parking area is a nightmare).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not sure what the purpose of parking charges would be. Since the extension has opened the place has been manic - yet they were prevented from adding more car parking because it would encourage more traffic. We now have the worst of both worlds - queues of cars anyway, and abandoned all over the place because there is insufficient parking.

The public transport stop on the N4 is too far from the main building. Most people I know won't get on the buses that stop closer because of anti-social behaviour. I don't know what planners are thinking they will try and achieve by seeking to discourage car use, at least not before Lucan LUAS.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the purpose of parking charges would be. Since the extension has opened the place has been manic - yet they were prevented from adding more car parking because it would encourage more traffic. We now have the worst of both worlds - queues of cars anyway, and abandoned all over the place because there is insufficient parking.

The public transport stop on the N4 is too far from the main building. Most people I know won't get on the buses that stop closer because of anti-social behaviour. I don't know what planners are thinking they will try and achieve by seeking to discourage car use, at least not before Lucan LUAS.

That's not really fair - it only opened three weeks before Christmas, and the place will always be manic then, and for a good couple of weeks afterwards when the sales are on. I reckon it'll settle back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed. I was there on Wednesday and there was tonnes of parking and the centre was only just quietly bustling. Not manic at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmmm wrote: »
    The public transport stop on the N4 is too far from the main building.
    are there no bus stops within the bounds of the centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Liffey Valley was recently purchased by a German Fund. Potentially that's the reason.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/839848/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

are there no bus stops within the bounds of the centre?

The 40 from Finglas via City Centre, 76 from The Square, Tallaght via Clondalkin and 239 (not very frequent) from Blanch stop at the centre.

'Delicate' people won't use the 40, as apparently they think it's the Dublin Bus equivalent of Con Air or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I think people won't use the 40 as it just takes far too long to get to the shopping centre. An endless amount of bus stops, heavy traffic and going all around the houses just to travel about 7 or 8 kilometres from the city centre, as the crow flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Would be handier for shoppers if it nipped into the centre right after crossing the Coldcut flyover, but not for residents living in the surrounding estates I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

'Delicate' people won't use the 40, as apparently they think it's the Dublin Bus equivalent of Con Air or something.
    For anyone who doesn't know it, the 40 is a bus route which runs from Finglas to Liffey Valley via Ballyfermot and Neilstown. "Delicate" people (i.e. most people) won't get on it. We can be snobby about how people turn their noses up at certain bus routes, but unless people feel they are on safe and reliable public transport they are going to use their cars.

The bus stop on the N4 is a bit of a haul for many, you will get soaked in the rain, is freezing most of the time and as is often the case the crossing point to get across the road running around the centre is located down the wrong end from where most people want to go - at a point which is convenient for traffic, not for pedestrians. As a consequence you have many bus passengers taking a shortcut by running across the road to go up a small muddy bank and through a hedge, which is going to leave an impression of a shoddy PT setup on all the people who decided to drive the centre.

These are all reasons for introducing a fee for parking - if taking the car is easier AND cheaper, why would you take public transport.

It will still probably be cheaper and less hassle to take the car, but a charge would narrow the gap between the options somewhat, while generating cash for whoever runs the place.

That being said, i am definitely not in favour of a charge, especially in off peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Id rather drive into town if they introduced charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They might do a validation thing, if you spend €20 or whatever?

Pter wrote: »
    Doesnt make sense to charge €1 for parking when you have 100's of free spots, but makes much more sense when spots are in short supply (as is the case at peak times in LV).
    It seems that optimum capacity in a shopping centre car park is 85% not 100%. If the car park is constantly full, people just won't travel to the centre in the first place. Meanwhile, those 15% of spaces are taken up by people who have spent €3 on a cup of coffee they bought an hour ago, when they could be used by people spending €100 on groceries.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Liffey Valley was recently purchased by a German Fund. Potentially that's the reason.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/839848/
    Much more likely that the council has insisted on a mobility management plan for the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Phil.x wrote: »
    Id rather drive into town if they introduced charges.

But parking in town isn't free either and will get worse when they implement their 30 km/h everywhere nonsense and remove half the roadspace from the quays.

Blanch would be the winner here - even despite the M50 tolls. It's just a pity the access roads to/around it are atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have to say I am baffled as to why the number 26 bus does not go on to LV.

It stops at present near Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road. It doesn't serve the Pobalscoil or the houses near Cherry Orchard.

Honestly, it is only a km or so from the current terminus to LV and the increased usage might increase fare income.

Does anyone know why it just stops dead where it does! (apart from it being the cemetery stop, oops).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote: »
    It seems that optimum capacity in a shopping centre car park is 85% not 100%. If the car park is constantly full, people just won't travel to the centre in the first place. Meanwhile, those 15% of spaces are taken up by people who have spent €3 on a cup of coffee they bought an hour ago, when they could be used by people spending €100 on.

What's that based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Weird that they have so much space there but no more parking spaces. I go there about once a week for a few years, never once had a problem getting in or out. Finding a space around Christmas or in the sales can be hard. But parking charges would definitely put me off going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cienciano wrote: »
    Weird that they have so much space there but no more parking spaces. I go there about once a week for a few years, never once had a problem getting in or out. Finding a space around Christmas or in the sales can be hard. But parking charges would definitely put me off going.

On the rare occasions I go there (much prefer the city for browsing and shopping), I park in the Purple car park by M and S. Never a bother.

I would not go there ever again though if they bring in charges.

Still I can bring mother with me I suppose she has a disabled badge so it will be free. But all the disabled spots are full all day every day too.

Maybe people are parking there free and hop across the N4 pedestrian bridge to get the super quick all bus lane 25a/b into town. I am sure it happens.

godtabh wrote: »
    What's that based on?
    Observation and comments from shopping centre and car park operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I have to say I am baffled as to why the number 26 bus does not go on to LV.

It stops at present near Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road. It doesn't serve the Pobalscoil or the houses near Cherry Orchard.

Honestly, it is only a km or so from the current terminus to LV and the increased usage might increase fare income.

Does anyone know why it just stops dead where it does! (apart from it being the cemetery stop, oops).

The 26 is primarily a local route for Palmerstown. The more buses you run into a shopping centre the longer the route gets overall, then the longer it takes to get to and from the city and the less likely local commuters are to finding seats, especially at peak time. That would affect the usefulness of the route for D 20 residents. Also, the 66/67 shadow the 26 for 90% of it's route so there is a link to the SC bar for the last couple of stops.

Advertisement