Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticknock opening times

• 13-01-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

Folks, what time do the gates open up at the weekend? cheers

Comments

If you are coming by bike you can just go around the gates. If you arrive early by car and the gate is closed just park in the entrance without blocking the road or gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

ronoc wrote: »
    If you are coming by bike you can just go around the gates. If you arrive early by car and the gate is closed just park in the entrance without blocking the road or gate.

Don't think that's great advice! There's no surer way of upsetting local homeowners than parking on what are very narrow roads up around there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A big noise on FB recently about people blocking the gates and no emergency access. Seems stupid the gates are shut at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A big noise on FB recently about people blocking the gates and no emergency access. Seems stupid the gates are shut at all...

It's not even remotely stupid to have the gates locked, this prevents an awful lot of "anti-social" behaviour, for example, there was a lot of burnt out cars which had to be removed from blocking the roads up around Ticknock forest itself...

If you're cycling up to use the trails then find somewhere else to park your car and pedal up the hill...

If you park on the yellow lines at the trail entrance then you deserve to be towed away...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

0800-2200
    Think it is 0700 from April onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

IIRC that FB post was showing the entrance to Tribradden forest. The wide nature of that entrance just invites people to park across the locked gates.
    At least the entrance to TN is narrow enough and only a tool would park across it. Then again, plenty of tools around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Here's the clowns in question
    15774681_1225655574181646_182013752361578551_o.jpg?oh=ddb9574e8046eb48fdcedface55e707e&oe=590F6B41
    IIRC that FB post was showing the entrance to Tribradden forest. The wide nature of that entrance just invites people to park across the locked gates.
    At least the entrance to TN is narrow enough and only a tool would park across it. Then again, plenty of tools around.

I'm sure there's a few signs at that gate telling people not to park at the gate in order to allow emergency access.

C3PO wrote: »
    Don't think that's great advice! There's no surer way of upsetting local homeowners than parking on what are very narrow roads up around there!

I live not too far away, I only say it because it happens quite regularly. It's possible to park a few cars without blocking anyone or the gate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Here's the clowns in question
    15774681_1225655574181646_182013752361578551_o.jpg?oh=ddb9574e8046eb48fdcedface55e707e&oe=590F6B41

I'm sure there's a few signs at that gate telling people not to park at the gate in order to allow emergency access.

Clowns who park in front of the gates and clowns who lock gates to public land and don't provide alternative access. Odd how it's the only mountain in the local area which has to lock its gates for months on end. Cruagh is literally metres up the road and doesn't have issues like this. Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill has automated gates FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

sparrowcar wrote: »
    0800-2200
    Think it is 0700 from April onwards.

cheers :)

• Advertisement

Folks is ballinastoe open at 8am at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

siochain wrote: »

The gates at Ballinastoe are never opened as far as I know? You park outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i was there a couple of weeks ago, i may have gotten lucky but i arrived on site shortly after 5am and the gate thankfully was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

siochain wrote: »

No, I don't think they put down the trails until 9am! ;) :pac:

is it 8am carpark opening in ticknock this time of year?

i see from the coilte site it's Car park opening times: 06:00 to 22:00 (6am to 10pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭lazycyclist

For Ticknock, you can also park in the Kilmashogue car park (off Kilmashogue Lane, entrance to the forest) as it has no gates. It's just over 3km of fire roads to meet up with the Ticknock trails

Advertisement