Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I’ve an iPhone XR so presume I’ll be safe enough. That link doesn’t work too well, pasted my IMEI and nothing seems to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MB05

DuffleBag wrote: »
    So i got one of the MyMemory ones there and will be using it next week. I've put it into the phone and its unlocked. Activated it online and logged into mythree. I see the balance on it is £0.00. How do i know i have data roaming abroad?? Do i need to spend another 20 odd and top up?

Try putting it in your phone here and turning off your wifi. Being in Ireland you would technically be roaming so if you have mobile data here it should work in the US too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

That t mobile one is only valid for a certain amount of days I get 12 months from the 3 one once I don't use all the data 12 GB is fine once not using it for any video maps whatsapp email are all tiny data wise

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

magher wrote: »
    Just tried topping up for another trip and its now requesting I enter an address to make payment, and I can only enter UK postcodes, it says it must match card address. Any way around this?

Did anyone find a solution to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

To top up I used Ding website. They charge an admin fee but cheaper than driving up north to buy a voucher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

_dof_ wrote: »
    Be VERY careful about using T-Mobile SIM cards. Their 4G service isn't necessarily compatible with our devices, they use frequency bands and features not supported by all devices. I just returned from the states and used a T-Mobile SIMcard, and I could only get 2G service with EDGE data (around 135kbps throughput).

I just got this, I checked my phone OnePlus3 online and it said it supported band 2 & 4, but I was looking at the US model :o

So my phone does have band 2, but not 4. Does anyone know which of the bands T-Mobile use in NYC?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Currently using this lad in Florida and 4g coverage, just a short trip so fits my data needs perfectly
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B23ZK94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Siobh73 wrote: »
    To top up I used Ding website. They charge an admin fee but cheaper than driving up north to buy a voucher

Any idea how much you have to top up by to get the 12gb data again or at least a decent amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

robz18 wrote: »
    Any idea how much you have to top up by to get the 12gb data again or at least a decent amount?

I was wandering the same thing.
    Firstly I use the 3 uk sim with a personal hotspot in the US approx once a week when in the US and it always works perfectly. (I Work for an airline)
    My 12 months worth of data won’t expire till the middle of next year.
    I have signed up and logged in to the 3 uk website using the assigned mobile number that comes with the sim, which allows me to check my data balance remaining. You can top up on that site too, but unless I am missing something the only choices are for 1 months worth of data and not the 12 months worth of data that came with the original sim on my memory.ie. There is also an option to enter a voucher code?
    I guess I will have to start again and buy a new 12 month sim and get a new phone number next year?

Just a reminder for those who don’t know. This is the original sim I bought.
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html
    I think you can get it on amazon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Supposing I’m an idiot and left it too late thinking about this to order online (used to live in the UK and my regular phone was 3 so never had to think about roaming, that SIM card is deactivated now though)

Are there any good options for a sim I could buy in Dublin today, or else on arrival in the US? For 2 weeks worth of medium use, mostly google maps and looking stuff up, certainly no netflix or anything.

• Advertisement

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 12 GB Data SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CMD4VKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Kg51DbJMHPJB4

Currently down to £21.50, decent price.

I'm off to the States today, ended up going for MostSIM, so hopefully all goes well with it. Have the SIM activated, so should work when I step off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Hi,
    I just saw this from Tracfone, the data is a bit low, but it may be of use to someone. No Activation Fees. No Cancellation Fees.

90-day wireless plan for $19.99 includes 60 talk, 60 text and 60MB for 90 Days or

1-year wireless plan for $49.99 includes 1200 talk, 1200 text and 3GB for 365 Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Hi Folks,

Just want to double check. I am riding across America in March (Orlando-> New Orleans -> Austin -> Terlingua -> El Paso -> Payson -> Vega - LA).

I have a dual sim Oneplus 5T.

I am thinking of buying one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CMD4VKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I am correct in saying I just activate it via there website in advance of leaving, put the SIM in my phone and set that SIM to data only and roaming on?

Is this the best option do you think? Or any better suggestions? We will want data for GoogleMaps, WhatsApp etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Wanton wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just want to double check. I am riding across America in March (Orlando-> New Orleans -> Austin -> Terlingua -> El Paso -> Payson -> Vega - LA).

I am thinking of buying one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CMD4VKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I am correct in saying I just activate it via there website in advance of leaving, put the SIM in my phone and set that SIM to data only and roaming on?

Is this the best option do you think? Or any better suggestions? We will want data for GoogleMaps, WhatsApp etc.

Thanks
    That works but also download the map data through Google maps ahead of going away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Hi Folks,

Thanks

Yup will work fine just pop it in sim2 set data to default to sim 2 and away you go. Some coverage in texas is spotty but should be fine. Make sure 4g on both sims is off

swampy353 wrote: »
    That works but also download the map data through Google maps ahead of going away
    sioda wrote: »
    Yup will work fine just pop it in sim2 set data to default to sim 2 and away you go. Some coverage in texas is spotty but should be fine. Make sure 4g on both sims is off

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Thanks!

You might want to consider getting a US SIM on arrival - sometimes it is very handy to have a proper US phone number, as not everywhere is set up for international numbers. EG I was in a restaurant where they would text you when your order was ready, but only accepted 10-digit US phone numbers.

You might want to consider getting a US SIM on arrival - sometimes it is very handy to have a proper US phone number, as not everywhere is set up for international numbers. EG I was in a restaurant where they would text you when your order was ready, but only accepted 10-digit US phone numbers.

That had been my original plan till I read this thread.

Any recommendations on what SIM/provider I should think of for the best coverage and value (data is really prob the most important thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That had been my original plan till I read this thread.

Any recommendations on what SIM/provider I should think of for the best coverage and value (data is really prob the most important thing)

I'm going for 6 days in April and I think I might just grab the 3 UK one with the 3GB of data, I'm stopping off in UK anyway so can activate the sim in UK if needs be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm going for 6 days in April and I think I might just grab the 3 UK one with the 3GB of data, I'm stopping off in UK anyway so can activate the sim in UK if needs be...

I got a 3 UK sim from the North for a recent trip and it works nicely, landed at the airport, swapped sims and had service before leaving the plane. Just tell the cashier you just want it for roaming and I got 12GB for £15, US simcards can cost $50 to $60 which is robbery in comparison to Ireland, especially if your only going for a week or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Not sure whether this was already mentioned or not, but I read on Amazon that those 3 UK sims are restricted to 13GB of fair usage policy per month for roaming data. Just in case you were considering purchasing a 24GB one. It's better to get two 12GB sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Not sure whether this was already mentioned or not, but I read on Amazon that those 3 UK sims are restricted to 13GB of fair usage policy per month for roaming data. Just in case you were considering purchasing a 24GB one. It's better to get two 12GB sims.

Correct, I was getting 12GB which was loads for my 10 day stay, however just disable data and use hotel wifi or airbnb etc and use data only when heading out. I had no problems whatsoever with 3 UK roaming in Los Angeles.

A T-Mobile sim would have cost more than double that and my experience of T-Mobile in New York before in 2018 was average slowish 3G and absolute woeful signals indoors in shopping malls etc. Even in a small store I was losing signal and T-Mobile in New York for me were absolutely brutal despite the high price I paid. I could almost survive without it but as an avid Uber user I need data now whenever I am in Uber territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

Three Mobile 4GB data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9V8Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JqomEbBZA6F1Y

Will this do the job for data in the states? I know it only lasts 30 days but that's fine for me and 4GB would be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Three Mobile 4GB data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9V8Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JqomEbBZA6F1Y

Will this do the job for data in the states? I know it only lasts 30 days but that's fine for me and 4GB would be plenty.

Yes, as long as you’re not expecting blistering speeds, it will be fine. Pretty much as cheap an option as you’re likely to get if the 4gb the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

dodzy wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you’re not expecting blistering speeds, it will be fine. Pretty much as cheap an option as you’re likely to get if the 4gb the bill.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

CyberGhost wrote: »

For the 24GB one, it is 12GB A MONTH. It lasts for two years so you should get a couple of trips out of it if you travel regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Travelling to New York next weekend. What's the best option for roaming charges? I am an eir mobile customer and only plan to use mobile data sparingly (or when wifi is not available)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Get an esim from somewhere like airalo if your phone is esim capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

A few people have mentioned on another thread about GoMoWorld - I think it's an eSim option. I just checked it there and they off 15GB for 19.99 euro.

Alternatively, if youre looking for a physical sim. Ive previously purchased a 3 UK sim from Amazon, Three Uk offers Roaming in US as part of their package - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-30GB-data-pay/dp/B098F13K56?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Just saw this on the eir website - has anyone ever used this add-on?

Advertisement