Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disqualified in NZ

Options
2»

Comments

GM228 wrote: »
    An EU resident can't hold more than one driving licence.

More than one EU licence maybe but it can't apply to all licences. If I go to the US for a few months for exampe it's advisable to get a US licence. You do the test to get your licence so don't have to hand in your eu licence nor would you want to as you will want your eu licence when you return home again and you cannot exchange a us licence for an eu licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No you will not be disqualified here. NZ law has no jurisdiction here.

Except your insurance company will ask you if you have any previous convictions or disqualifications for driving offences. This is all inclusive and its worded very carefully for that reason. Its not specific to Ireland, the EU or any jurisdiction. So regardless of if you can get a drivers licence or not, you'll have a very hard time getting insured here in Ireland.

You can also be damn sure if you were involved in something here and it came to light that you hadn't declared a disqualification that the insurance company would happily pay out the claim, then take you to the cleaners for the full amount.

I'd seek legal advice OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You could just get a replacement EU license? How the **** would anyone know it was in nevada :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Why would they take your licence in the first place; there's no exchange agreement AFAIK.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Santrack

ironclaw wrote: »
    Except your insurance company will ask you if you have any previous convictions or disqualifications for driving offences. This is all inclusive and its worded very carefully for that reason. Its not specific to Ireland, the EU or any jurisdiction. So regardless of if you can get a drivers licence or not, you'll have a very hard time getting insured here in Ireland.

You can also be damn sure if you were involved in something here and it came to light that you hadn't declared a disqualification that the insurance company would happily pay out the claim, then take you to the cleaners for

the full amount.

I'd seek legal advice OP.

Thanks for your advice, I've received a certificate of particulars the equivalent of a letter of entitlement from nz transport agency, it says subject held a license but the licence is and in a box marked disqualified there is an "x" and beside that in a box marked reinstate there is also an "x"
    Does this mean they are saying that NDLS can reinstate my Irish licence?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Santrack wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice, I've received a certificate of particulars the equivalent of a letter of entitlement from nz transport agency, it says subject held a license but the licence is and in a box marked disqualified there is an "x" and beside that in a box marked reinstate there is also an "x"
    Does this mean they are saying that NDLS can reinstate my Irish licence?
    Thanks

No idea. Technically speaking, the piece of plastic you hold is not your licence. Your licence resides with the Minister of Transport. You plastic bit is merely an indicator that such a record exists. You'll need to get on to NDLS and state your position, its their job to check up on it. You have nothing to loose as you should be openly declaring it anyway to them as you have an awful lot to lose if it ever comes back to bite you.

Your insurance is still going to be a problem however. The question is:

Have you ever been disqualified?

Not:

Are you currently disqualified?

Many, many insurers won't even go near anyone who has been disqualified or has a significant enough driving conviction against them. I know NZ is tough on speeding so perhaps they'll take that into account as its not a 'serious' disqualification versus say drink driving, but you could be in for a lengthy process to get it squared away. Good thing you have the docs though, if you haven't left NZ yet I'd get as many originals as you can and bring them back with you.

I'd give NDLS a call first and get that process in motion. Then I'd ring a few insurers and give them your details as if you had an Irish license with a disqualification against it. It will give you a better idea if its even worth pursuing, the cost could be astronomical.

All you need to do is report your Irish one lost and get a new one.

• Advertisement

I assume if you get the Irish one you will have to hand in the US licence. Be handy to keep both.

Advertisement